Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you think piracy is harmful to the media that is being pirated?

Yes, it is a terrible crime.
It can be harmful at times.
It is neither helpful nor harmful.
It can be both helpful and harmful.
It can be helpful at times.
No, it is the best thing to happy to many media since the Beatles.
Undecided.
Other.
Don't care. / View poll.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Piracy  (Read 5140 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Piracy
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 09:42:32 am »

There is an interesting side benefit to piracy that's often overlooked. Much software, especially console games, would generally be lost over time, both due to degradation of the original storage media and the eventual lack of compatible interfaces. Because pirates have transferred so many of these to easily replicated storage, and have solved the interface problem with software, those programs, especially rarer ones, can now be preserved indefinitely.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 09:45:12 am »

So generations to come can now enjoy the glories of superman64 because of piracy?

Dear god, what have we done?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 09:47:01 am »

I'm tempted to make a thread named "let's discuss ninjas" x3

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 09:48:03 am »

So generations to come can now enjoy the glories of superman64 because of piracy?

Dear god, what have we done?

Superman 64 was nothing short of an abomination.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 09:51:10 am »

It is, however, a brilliant example of a bad game, as it's easy to see why it's bad. That's a handy thing to have for a game designer in training.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 09:52:15 am »

I was actually just looking around for some ROMs for old dos games that I own but want to play again. Just as soon as I have a non-DoD internet connection to work with.

I'm of the opinion that downloading abandonware isn't that morally wrong (does Apogee software still exist to sue me?)
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 09:55:09 am »

If you have it, just use DosBox. PC software doesn't generally have "ROMs" per se, but you'll often need an emulator to run it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 10:02:42 am »

I'm tempted to make a thread named "let's discuss ninjas" x3

Naw man, cause this thread isn't "Let's Discuss Pirates." Instead, you need to create one like... "Let's discuss ninjamancy" or something.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 11:33:05 am »

Well, I guess my thoughts on it is that it is morally okay to do when it is something like a game you have but your computer crashed or you can not move it to a new computer or something like that. And really old games (Well not really old, games go old FAST, so lets say medium aged games) that are not for sale anywhere.

For the 'oh but I would not buy it anyway' argument I have mixed feelings, on one hand yeah, you are not hurting anyone, but on the other hand it becomes really easy to justify anything by that. Don't want to wait for your pay check in three days for that new game? Pirate! After all you can not afford it now anyway! That sorta thing.

Of course that is from a moral standpoint, I generally believe in trying to change or obey laws (no mater how futile that is in this case) then breaking them. That sorta stems from a practicality stand point of if you get caught you can be in big trouble.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 11:44:41 am »

Piracy was an interesting phenomenon in the 1600s and even 1700s.

Sure it pops up now and then, but it's nowhere near as awesome as the olden days.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 11:45:41 am »

There is an interesting side benefit to piracy that's often overlooked. Much software, especially console games, would generally be lost over time, both due to degradation of the original storage media and the eventual lack of compatible interfaces. Because pirates have transferred so many of these to easily replicated storage, and have solved the interface problem with software, those programs, especially rarer ones, can now be preserved indefinitely.
This is exactly my view. In a sense, piracy and emulators are preserving tons of media from being lost forever by transferring things that otherwise cannot be found in their original physical state (or anywhere else (on the web even), obscure or not). The original media still has value (provided if found in an auction house or a junk store), and people will still be willing to pay a pretty penny to play on the original consoles/VHS/Betamax. Sorry Lucas, but we've all watched the Star Wars Christmas Special, and riffed it to hell.

I mean, yes, it is a bit silly to have each and every game for the NES on your computer, but it's not the same as experiencing the fight against the BSOD 50-million times just to get Duck Hunt/Super Mario to play (or Mario/Excite Bike or whatever combo), and having the fun experience of the genuine yellowed controller from the classic era. Hell, there are many light-gun games that I wish I could play with the original light guns themselves, primarily because the mouse makes some of those games too easy (or in rare cases, too hard). So yeah, there will always be investors for the original consoles and cartridges, but emulation will preserve even the crappiest of games from being forgotten. The modding scene even brings back replayability to games that tend to have a 1-pass playthrough (RPGs usually), and they tend to get just as much flak. Modders have also fixed some of these crappy games into something relatively playable, and even better than the originals themselves (An excellent challenge for modders with Superman64). Correcting history, so to speak (Star Wars: Revisited, being an awesome example). I guess there's also a lost magic about playing these things on an LCD screen instead of the classic UV screens of olde. I love that ZSNES has a rendering feature/filter that simulates the experience at least. Made some games more enjoyable aesthetically again. I have to admit, I miss the old crappified low-res graphics.

I appreciate much of this effort of preservation, primarily because I have found certain shows and games and etc. I never thought I would ever see again (The Wonder Years being a good example; never made into DVD, and should've been. It's a miracle I even found a complete set. Same with Space Ghost and Cartoon Planet. There are numerous other examples, but that would fill this up too much.). I think the worst offenders market-wise, and with a bit of understanding to the producers, are immediate free releases of games that have JUST come out. Yes, I understand the prices are ridiculous, but at the same time, it does hurt sales on their end. Some are semi-honest try-b4-buy types, but there are others that claim to be such or claim to have "backups", and don't go through with it either, or never had an original in the first place.

In a sense, a good way to redeem oneself of the stigma of piracy is using services like Steam, where you can purchase many games and install them immediately (or just copy over your data from your pirated copy into it, and purchase the rights). At least, I felt better after buying a good portion of games after having downloaded a good share of games myself illegitimately. But then again, a good majority of my downloads were games and shows that otherwise couldn't be found or obtained legitimately anymore; IE- doomed to obscurity.

ADDENDUM:
I think much of the defense can also go to virtual machines (OS emulation) and being able to play these things in environments that otherwise have screwed out older software from being able to operate. DOSBox is a crowning example of this, seeing as later versions of windows past XP have completely ruined it for classic Dos gaming without DOSBox at your disposal. I've also recalled older versions of Windows to use absolute classics of silliness (Like the Spider-Man Comic Book Creator or animation studio, or whatever). I remember that program so well, but the only OS I remember that played it no problem was either Windows 95 or 98. So many memories, so many bizarre stories, some absolutely hilarious voice acting. There were other games too that were absolutely hostile to the newer OSs, but work like a dream for the earlier ones (Jane's Combat Flight Simulator).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:39:30 pm by Itnetlolor »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 11:46:34 am »

Check it out. It's probably the best anti-piracy ad ever. it certanly swayed me with its well founded arguments and bulletproof logic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTMIz0_Iij8. I was however wrong about it being BBC, it's just that the presenter has a British accent.
It seems to be talking more about bootleg copies.  They might actually fund organized crime, I guess.  In the same way that buying anything from dodgy individuals is likely to be funding crime.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 11:47:57 am »

Now if hackers sailed the seas in a ship, and attacked Game Developer merchant ships i'd be more happy with Piracy.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 11:51:43 am »

Admittedly that would be pretty cool.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 11:52:56 am »

So then forum ninjas would leap around on top of buildings and assassinate people making a post?
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3