Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF Page Background  (Read 3119 times)

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF Page Background
« on: March 17, 2011, 10:52:02 pm »

http://bay12games.com/dwarves/

Is there any particular trickery or manufacturing that made the background of the Dwarf Fortress pages look like a map of the world in ASCII?

I see Central America and the Gulf of Mexico on the left and the Mediterranean Sea on the right, with at least partial representations of the continents around them and islands in the Caribbean...

Just wondering also if anyone else noticed this.

Edit: Okay I got the idea to change the scaling/zoom on the page, and it's entirely about resolution and placement.

This is what I'm seeing.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 11:02:26 pm by Ranzear »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: DF Page Background
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 10:56:31 pm »

Nope, yer seein' things m8.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 11:00:21 pm »

I don't see it either. Maybe you should visit the neighborhood asylum.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 11:08:52 pm »

I think I see some slight similarities, the left side does kinda look like Mexico and the countries south of it that I don't need to know the names of because I'm an American and we're lazy like that.  But if that's so the gulf of mexico would be tiny.   And that to the east certainly isn't anything like Florida or Cuba or any of those other islands out there.

I do see some resemblance to Mexico when I squint really hard though.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 11:10:38 pm »

I think I see some slight similarities, the left side does kinda look like Mexico and the countries south of it that I don't need to know the names of because I'm an American and we're lazy like that.  But if that's so the gulf of mexico would be tiny.   And that to the east certainly isn't anything like Florida or Cuba or any of those other islands out there.

I do see some resemblance to Mexico when I squint really hard though.

Mexico, eh? Hmmm... Nope, I still don't see anything but a randomly generated world.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 11:11:40 pm »

Clearly you aren't squinting hard enough.

I guess it's probably easier to see something looking like South America in his screenshot.  Once you see that, Mexico isn't too hard to spot and what I'm guessing is what's supposed to be the gulf coast around Louisiana.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 11:13:43 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 11:37:01 pm »

Clearly you aren't squinting hard enough.

I guess it's probably easier to see something looking like South America in his screenshot.  Once you see that, Mexico isn't too hard to spot and what I'm guessing is what's supposed to be the gulf coast around Louisiana.
Exactly, and on the right side it looks like a rather opened-up Mediterranean (btw I just figured out how to spell that by thinking of Starcraft 'Terran' in the middle) with the upper part being France with Spain obscured behind the text and the lower is Northern Africa maybe as far as Egypt and rotated clockwise a bit. It's all a little wonky and compressed and stretched but now you all can see why I asked. Shows up at 1280x1024 and usually I squish my browser to roughly a 5:4 ratio if I'm on a widescreen.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 11:38:51 pm by Ranzear »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 05:18:39 am »

Just looks like a random world to me.
http://bay12games.com/dwarves/back.png

Threetoe's stories background, complete with easter egg.
http://bay12games.com/dwarves/back_s4.png

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 11:36:27 am »

Just looks like a random world to me.
http://bay12games.com/dwarves/back.png
The nasty thing in the center looks very phallic and nasty. (YOU CANNOT UNSEE SORRY)
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 09:57:35 pm »

The nasty thing in the center looks very phallic and nasty. (YOU CANNOT UNSEE SORRY)

fffffffffffuuuuuuuuuu
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 11:36:50 pm »

Even though the background isn't a map of the world in ASCII, that is still possible in DF, if you just use something like Perfect World.

See this thread - Europe and North America.  Pretty damn accurate until you get down to where the individual streams flow on a per-region-tile basis, due to the local handling of brooks and rivers.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare