Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Top 5 Things We'd Like To/Expect To See In Future Versions  (Read 3754 times)

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5 Things We'd Like To/Expect To See In Future Versions
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2011, 03:58:42 am »

Designated Constructions. Oh ARMOK YES PLEASE.

After that? Multithreading. Having a hex-core CPU does nothing if there is only threads running on one of my six cores.

I was going to mention that, but it seems like beating a dead horse. I kind of expect it to come in, eventually. I guess it depends more on the CPU market than anything.

This whole thread is beating a dead horse.

Oooh, military training on corpses!

Better than sparring, but not as good as sticking them in the arena?

Also, can't wait for moving stuctures. Because after they are first introduced, you know it is only a matter of time before the world sees its first dwarven mecha.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2011, 04:05:00 am »

Shit yes!  I hadn't even thought of that!  I was planning on having a whole fort that acts like an accordion, raising the gates above the ground to stop sieges, or pushing the forges down to the magma.  But YES!  If we're allowed to move things properly, then a mecha should be possible :D

If allowed, I will doubtless do something absurd with it.  Like, make it my entire fort.  We need water?  Just move the fort!  Enemies coming?  We can outrun them!

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2011, 05:10:16 am »

Oooh, military training on corpses!

Medical research on dwarven corpses to get better at the medical skills. Urist McBarber please report to operating theater one, your observers have been waiting for you to finish your break for a few seasons now! And a negative thought for the mutilated corpse's family!

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2011, 05:44:48 am »

It occurs to me that you could move stones up or down vertically with a structure almost identical to a well. Don't think it'd be too difficult for Toady to Coady but it's pretty low priority for him atm, methinks.

I'd actually love automatons in the game that could be built by mechanics. It kind of stretches credulity though. Although, when I think about it... isn't it possible to mod them in? I might have to look into that.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2011, 05:59:15 am »

Cannot be modded in at this moment.  Life is still something that eludes us.  Even if we could, they couldn't be assigned jobs.  And that seems more of a gnome thing anyways.  Gnomes are always tinkering with little widgets.  Dwarves go big.  Not that I'm opposed to the idea.  Making a small squad of clockwork soldiers that soften up the front line of the siege, and can be rebuilt afterwards... that'd be pretty hot.

Hakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2011, 10:49:32 am »

One thing I'd really like to see is more furniture, and the ability of dwarves to buy and arrange this furniture themselves.
A dwarf's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Fortress which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. Gold has not been proven not to exist, therefore it must exist.
Philosopher Prokhor Zakharov,
"For I Have Tasted The Plump Helmet"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2011, 10:57:49 am »

No.  Because you know very well that your legendary weaponsmith will purchase a brand new -microcline statue of elves- and place it right in his doorway, so that he starves to death in his bedroom.

Hakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2011, 11:14:11 am »

Ok, it would obviously need to skip statues.
A dwarf's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Fortress which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. Gold has not been proven not to exist, therefore it must exist.
Philosopher Prokhor Zakharov,
"For I Have Tasted The Plump Helmet"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2011, 11:15:45 am »

Urist McThriftShopper cancels Place Owned Furniture: No available space!    x37

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2011, 11:19:04 am »

I know NW_Kohaku has a great thread about it in Suggestions that I can't possibly devote enough time to read all of but I would like nicer farming. Make farming fun enough to be a game in its own right maybe?

Anyway, I also want better conversations and stuff in adventure mode and other modes. But at least that's one thing I can be pretty sure is not going to take three years to get in.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2011, 11:21:10 am »

Urist McThriftShopper cancels Place Owned Furniture: No available space!    x37
That's kind of your fault for giving him a 1x3 room, isn't it?
Actually, he's probably just a lowly Fish Dissector or something, so he doesn't deserve any better. Carry on!
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2011, 12:05:31 pm »

I thought about the possibility of dwarf-assigned furniture, but it'd get really messy really fast.  Cabinets in the walkways, beds in the closet, armor stands in front of chairs...  You can't eat off an armor stand!

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2011, 12:35:46 pm »

Off the top of my head some things I'd love to see:

Scaling dwarf hapiness requirements. Your fortress grows, so do the expectation of your dwarves. They'll need more for the same hapiness when the total population increases.. This to give some incentive to develop larger fortresses, get more variety in food and booze etc.

There's immigration. Let's have emmigration. If your dwarves are unhappy with your fortress or they are in an economically bad situation (if dwarven economy is active) they might chose to leave the fortress instead of living unhappy/becoming depressed/enraged and die.

Dwarven religion, let's have shrines and temples to those dwarven gods your dwarves seem to worship. This to give followers of the gods religion a happy thought when they worship in the shrine/temple.

Special dwarven military personel to make the squad more orderly, telling them when they may charge in combat/open fire. If the squad leader dies the dwarves would fight like they do now, unorderly and charging headfirst regardless of strategy at first sight of the enemy. Also siege engineers as military personnel.

Schoolhouses to keep those dwarven children occupied and crush their little spirits.

Non military dwarves to consider the risk when encountering a wild animal and not running away when the creature isn't aggressive or dangerous. No need for dwarves to run away from a lone hoary marmot.

A special designation to build your own roads to connect to another city, like you have in worldgen. This'd cost a large amount of materials depending on the distance to the destination. You'd start constructing one of these at the edge of the map. This would become the new spawnpoint for immigrant and caravans etc.

Multithreading!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 12:39:35 pm by Jelle »

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2011, 01:04:04 pm »

The ability to give up control of a fort without abandoning it.

Just, "okay I've set it up, the dorfs are on their own now".
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Rayc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2011, 02:13:39 pm »

I don't know if this is the goal or the caravan ark or not, but a new mode called "Caravan Mode".

It starts you with one horse with a limited carrying capacity and one dwarf with a random assortment of materials to trade.  You can trade for more horses, guards, traders, wagons, armor and food for the dwarfs, and of course other junk.  Then you would set out - with no quick travel - to the next town/fortress/etc. battling anyone that tried to stop you.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4