Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Top 5 Things We'd Like To/Expect To See In Future Versions  (Read 3755 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5 Things We'd Like To/Expect To See In Future Versions
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 03:06:36 am »

Higher Learning Mod is a bit hax.  It has odd requirements and odd skill gain rates.  Who studies so hard they break stone tablets?  Dwarves, apparently.  A proper school zone would utilize the teacher and student skills, require some chairs at basics, and more advanced would require books and other things for faster learning.  After all, you can go to school where you sit and listen only, but you'll learn a lot better if you can read about it and take notes.  The "Independent Study" job should also occur, similar to how off-duty soldiers will do individual combat in their spare time.  Independent would train up whatever that dwarf's skill is active, and randomly rank up whatever he's working on, while actual classes would be manually assigned for specific tasks, like teaching masonry only to those with masonry enabled.

ZCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 05:32:36 am »

Who studies so hard they break stone tablets?  Dwarves, apparently.
The dwarven method of studying involves hitting your head against a stone tablet repeatedly, so that the knowledge will transfer from the tablet to your head.
Badger badgers badger badger badgers badgers badger.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 05:47:47 am »

Who studies so hard they break stone tablets?  Dwarves, apparently.
The dwarven method of studying involves hitting your head against a stone tablet repeatedly, so that the knowledge will transfer from the tablet to your head.
Via indention.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 07:23:30 am »

I want the dwarves to have more personality flaws. I want jealous and light-fingered dwarves stealing items from other dwarves' rooms while they're at work. I want dwarves with grudges to fight each other or push each other from cliffs or into wells in a fit of rage. I want dwarf marriages to break down, and I want dwarves to have affairs and illegitimate kids (a family tree screen would be nice). I want dwarves to get temporary illnesses that interrupt their work. I want dwarves with hopeless crushes to stalk their love interest until the real partner decides to sort them out for being creepy.

It might also be interesting to have dwarves with good traits who donate items to needy dwarves, or fetch food for a friend who's a bit too busy to leave their station.

Also, dwarf children should pull pranks like tying beards together or shaving them off while the victim sleeps.

It would just be nice for the fort to have more "life", if you know what I mean. :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 07:27:39 am »

-Cave Spider Silk Right Mitten-    Right Hand
+Rope Reed Left Mitten+    Left Hand
Rhesus Macaque Leather Cap    Head
Stray Cat    Tied in beard by prankster
-Dog Leather Vest-    Upper Body

ThePup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 07:47:36 am »

Would love the ability to select a 1x1 embark without needing nanofort... Can't be too hard, surely, just put a little embark warning like with aqufiers "This is a really small area and could be hard to play, blah, blah"....

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 12:50:40 pm »

In no real order:

1: Workshop Material Selection

It'd be nice to be able to choose what materials we make all of our furniture and crafts from. It doesn't sound that hard in theory; you could just add a menu after you select what to make that lists all of the available material types for you to choose from.

2: Designating Constructions

Being able to designate constructions would really speed up the process, and just make more sense. I never understood why constructions were lumped in with buildings.

3: Boats <333

I don't know why, but the idea of Dwarven naval raids just REALLY appeals to me for some reason.

4: Dwarven Hunting/Fishing/Scouting Patrols

Being able to send Dwarven Patrols out to hunt/fish for/scout for creatures from outside seems like a good idea, even if it is only abstracted at first. For example, you send out the patrol, and they (hopefully) return later on with whatever you asked them to do. Eventually it would be nice to have the patrols controlled adventure mode style, but that is for the future.

5: An Init Option for Removing Non-Cavern Murky Pools

This is an odd request, but it would be nice to have the option to remove all of those murky pools that cut into your fortress design.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 01:11:47 pm »

You can search for tiles with high drainage to get fewer murky pools; I think.

Classically, dwarves are portrayed as hating travel on the sea. They like steady stone floors, and hate the idea of standing on moving wood. That's not to say ships can't be dwarfy... the prospect of building steel magma powered vessels would be appealing to any dwarf.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 01:22:31 pm »

Wooden boats?  As if.  You've all seen the granite boats your stonecrafters make.  These ships, not lowly "boats", would be stone and metal, spewing smoke, thick and acrid into the air as the scourge the water with massive, ferocious corkscrews and paddles wheels.  A moving fortress in their own right, with entire ballista batteries on their broadsides and whole farms and brewing industries below decks, and grand nets drawing whole pods of whales to the upper deck butchery fields.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 01:31:24 pm »

Wooden boats?  As if.  You've all seen the granite boats your stonecrafters make.  These ships, not lowly "boats", would be stone and metal, spewing smoke, thick and acrid into the air as the scourge the water with massive, ferocious corkscrews and paddles wheels.  A moving fortress in their own right, with entire ballista batteries on their broadsides and whole farms and brewing industries below decks, and grand nets drawing whole pods of whales to the upper deck butchery fields.

You forgot the menacing spikes.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 01:34:11 pm »

It menaces with spikes of mermaid.

Not mermaid bones.  Just, mermaids.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 01:45:33 pm »

The only advantage galleons have is that you can light them on fire and point them at the nearest seaside town/marine animal you don't like.

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 01:48:48 pm »

Higher Learning Mod is a bit hax.  It has odd requirements and odd skill gain rates.  Who studies so hard they break stone tablets?  Dwarves, apparently. 

I always figured the Dwarf was learning the knowledge etched on the tablet, and after so long he's learned everything he could and had no more use for it.  Since there isn't a way to prevent individual dwarves from reusing tablets they've already used, it's just destroyed after so many uses, as a sort of substitute.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 04:05:56 pm »

Designated Constructions. Oh ARMOK YES PLEASE.

After that? Multithreading. Having a hex-core CPU does nothing if there is only threads running on one of my six cores.

I was going to mention that, but it seems like beating a dead horse. I kind of expect it to come in, eventually. I guess it depends more on the CPU market than anything.

This whole thread is beating a dead horse. Might as well just go reread the dev page.

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 04:33:45 pm »

Designated Constructions. Oh ARMOK YES PLEASE.

After that? Multithreading. Having a hex-core CPU does nothing if there is only threads running on one of my six cores.

I was going to mention that, but it seems like beating a dead horse. I kind of expect it to come in, eventually. I guess it depends more on the CPU market than anything.

This whole thread is beating a dead horse.

Oooh, military training on corpses!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4