Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Top 5 Things We'd Like To/Expect To See In Future Versions  (Read 3749 times)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Top 5 Things We'd Like To/Expect To See In Future Versions
« on: March 17, 2011, 07:00:56 pm »

This thread is a top 10 thread for listing and discussing things we'd like to see in the game and/or things we expect to see in later versions, whether we like them or not, in Dwarf Fortress mode.

1. Schools

Seems natural that creches, schools, and colleges will make it into the game eventually. At least it'd be something to do with those low quality wooden chairs. It wouldn't be school without uncomfortable wooden chairs.

2. Ambient light

The game models ambient light and shadows, so it'd be dark underground (necessitating torches), and there'd be a day/night cycle, with shadows of the clouds playing over the ground. Possibly even long, directional shadows cast by things that move over the course of the day. (Note- sun dials would be possible.)

3. Fog/mist

Similar to ambient light, in a sense, fog or mist could make it into the game. Low level clouds, basically, and this same effect would be modelled at higher altitudes to make actual clouds.

4. Easy constructions

Eventually human towns will be a part of the game, similar to dwarf fortress. With humans building their towns on the surface, it seems likely to me that constructions will be tightened up and made similar to designations. You'd be able to 'dig the sky' so to speak.

5. Follow Dwarf Mode

A little thing that lets keeps the attention focussed on one dwarf, and lets you follow him around the fortress. That'd be nice.

Not sure if this is the right forum for this thread, couldn't think of a more appropriate one, and couldn't find any similar threads to necro.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Rorax

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Straight Man
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5 Things We'd Like To/Expect To See In Future Versions
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 07:08:53 pm »

Hate to be a buzz kill, but.
1. there is a suggestions forum
2. I'm not so sure about the "Things >WE'D< like~" as if you look at the top suggestions very few things you hav mentioned exist there

other than the buzz killishness, I like the dwarf follow cam :D

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 07:42:38 pm »

I want to designate constructions.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 07:51:59 pm »

space travel and magma exploration via submarine.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 08:11:06 pm »

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 08:17:05 pm »

Designated Constructions. Oh ARMOK YES PLEASE.

After that? Multithreading. Having a hex-core CPU does nothing if there is only threads running on one of my six cores.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 08:19:27 pm »

Designated Constructions. Oh ARMOK YES PLEASE.

After that? Multithreading. Having a hex-core CPU does nothing if there is only threads running on one of my six cores.

I was going to mention that, but it seems like beating a dead horse. I kind of expect it to come in, eventually. I guess it depends more on the CPU market than anything.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 08:34:22 pm »

I am going to build a TIME MACHINE so that I can travel to the FAR FUTURE and play multi threaded DWARF FORTRESS after TOADY the XVII has begun working on the BETA.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 08:42:43 pm »

I think someone will create a in-game PC that runs duke nukem forever before we get multithreading :)

Oh but schools--totally. That'd rock.

ZCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 08:54:21 pm »

Better performance.

Better user interface.
Badger badgers badger badger badgers badgers badger.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 09:31:49 pm »

1) Designated Constructions++, failing that, the ablity to choose to add constructions to the end or beginning of the job queue, instead of always most-recent first.

2) Division of 'Masonry' into 'Stone Cutting' and 'Brick Laying', because I want my lengendary masons to make nice furnature instead of crawling out onto rickity catwalks to build things with no quality modifiers.

3) Prioritized job assignments: Dwarfs active jobs in a reorderable list instead of just on/off toggle, So that Urist will only do his secondary job is there is nothing to do for the first, then the third... and so on.

4) Triggered production scripts is one I've been thinking about for a while:  If stock of ___ goes [below/above] ## add job to make ## of ___. This would require office workers be active, only an active bookkeeper could detect the stock changes to initiate the request, and then sends it to a manager to schedule it. Each rule would need a (file) cabinet to track it, and a bookkeeper would take some amount of (skill dependant) time to process each check, looping through the list of rules. Maybe insert a quick stop at the local noble for a quick approval check, and for Bureaucratic Fun, and if paper/documents are introduced have interoffice mail hauling jobs to actually shuffle the requests around.

5) Pipes built like axels/gearings to move water. would require pressure to work effectivly, which I think would exclude Magma, which should be harder to work with anyway.

6) I like the Schools idea, but I think what would be more suitable is an apprenticeship program. The ability to assign dwarven children to an adult to watch them work; gaining some skill in whatever their assigned teacher does. This would allow some control of what moodable skills they might get before maturity. Don't know if having the student should slow down (due to having to explain things), or speed up (due to an extra pair of hands) the jobs being done, so I would save leave it at a balance, unmodified.

7) The ability (if it dosn't already exist) to have multiple simultainous forts in the same world; so if nothing else you could 'multithread' by running several forts at once. (Possibly requiring that forts can't get to far ahead of each other, like syncing up at season changes.)

8) Have Small Animal Dissection/Animal Care enable the neutering of pets.

9) As a prerequisite/option for the above, have the ability to have jobs require certain skill levels; that is, not set at playtime like a workshop profiles, but something set in the raws so that the job won't even appear as an option until you have a dwarf with sufficent skill for example, only a Master 'Small Animal Dissector' or above can even try to do a neutering.

10) Allow Medical skills to be Moodable! "Doctor Victor Frankenurist looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!" (OK, I ran out of ideas.)

edit:

0) Have haulers haul more than one item at a time; maybe requiring carrying a bin/backpack with them and putting related items in it. "I'm hauling a sock (or other item) from Point A to Stockpile B; I am not overencumbered; and there is another sock (or other item that is accepted by the destination stockpile) less than 2 (or distance between Point A and Stockpile B / 10) steps away from point A, so I'll grab that as well."
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 11:16:29 pm by kaenneth »
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 09:49:29 pm »

I'd like to be able to build transit roads, where you'd eventually get travelers and merchants. You could also build amenities for said travelers, like hotels and so on, and eventually make a killing operating a "Dwarven Truckstop" in addition to mining and so on.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 10:50:55 pm »

Please bring back layers in the finder. Pretty please. Or just give me the top stone layer. You know, the one the visible BOULDERS are made of, that I am immediately disappointed by on embark? The boulders that are hardly ever limestone, chalk, or dolomite nowadays? I really don't want to have to gen twenty worlds just to find one site with all the ingredients for steel on the same embark. So layers in the finder would be nice.

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 02:39:32 am »

1. Schools

Seems natural that creches, schools, and colleges will make it into the game eventually. At least it'd be something to do with those low quality wooden chairs. It wouldn't be school without uncomfortable wooden chairs.

This, with a zone designated as "Swimming Pool". Can assign squads to train at, in order to gain swimming. Current methods are difficult...
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 02:53:03 am »

Well, schools are essentially in the game already, so the dwarven higher learning mod.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4