Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: YOUR perfect zombie game  (Read 3657 times)

Nopkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
YOUR perfect zombie game
« on: March 17, 2011, 04:47:57 pm »

So, I've been scrounging through countless websites looking for "MY" perfect zombie game. Hell, not even perfect, just something I consider fun. Well, I haven't been successful. I want to play RogueSurvivor, but unfortunately it's not MAC compatible, so I'm out of at least one option i've found. Other than that I've played flash games, looked for mods, all kinds of things to capture that "Zombie Apocalypse" feeling that "The Walking Dead" aroused earlier this year.

So here's my detailed list of things I think a zombie game needs to have in order to have done it "Right"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not 100% finished, but oh well. I can throw up more idea's...realistic crafting, gameplay mechanics, story progression...This is one of the things i'm most passionate about. I love the idea of a zombie apocalypse, and I want it to be captured in all it's grim glory.

-Jobs are to be assigned to Dwarves in alphabetical order, regardless of skill or specialization.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: YOUR perfect zombie game
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 05:16:14 pm »

Well, it's not perfect, but I was thinking recently about how great Far Cry 2 would be for a zombie mod ala Red Dead Redemption. Think about it - safehouses and the center town suddenly become sought after safezones as opposed to places to nap for a while, night missions are suddenly terrifying, traveling across the map is suddenly a scary thought, not a tedious one, it accounts for the lack of wildlife and civilians (but it'd still be better if those were both in the game) and the implementation of DLC would mean Ubisoft would have the opportunity to add in some friendly AI at freaking last.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:18:48 pm by Jackrabbit »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 05:18:13 pm »

Fucking special zombies.
I hate them so much.
There are two kinds of zombies: freshly dead shambling corpses and half-rotted shambling corpses.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 05:20:25 pm »

Without special zombies (or fast zombies) there's only a few ways they could be presented as a serious threat and not become tedious enemies.

Really, only Dead Rising comes to mind and the real danger came from the bosses.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 09:46:18 pm »

Left 4 Dead 2 without infinite ammo, with smaller / less frequent hordes, and with an open world + scavenging for supplies.  "Hell yes, ten boxes of .22, we are in business now!" [/Rochelle]  Also, probably on Advanced Realism difficulty.

A run-and-gun FPS where you can be slowed down by the weight of the water you're trying to carry back to your makeshift base, and that has a key for "Drop Pack".  Which is important when you're trying to get up a ladder fast enough to escape the horde.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 10:15:06 pm »

I don't like special zombies either but I see the purpose.  Without them something else has to keep things interesting.  Killing hordes of identical enemies that don't pose a real threat gets old fast (See: Dead Rising).  I'm looking forward to Dead State for this reason.  It's only got normal zombies, but the main draw is the human aspect.  Another possible thing to keep it interesting is survival, gathering resources and etc but you don't see that often outside of roguelikes and such.
Shoes...

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 10:18:55 pm »

A randomly generated city filled with undead and very few survivors. Your goal is to survive and establish a civilisation, eventually people will come from other places to join the city and eventually you'll get raided. When you're city is zombie free, fixed and filled with people you win.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 10:39:12 pm by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 10:25:48 pm »

A randomly generated city filled with undead and a very few survivors. Your goal is to survive and establish a civilisation.

Hey, now there's an idea. Possibly a city management game, or an open world survival one. Perhaps a city isn't the best idea, since what would really be awesome is scavenging through houses and getting jumped by zombies and it'd be impractical to make an entire city explorable from the inside-out. Though I'm waiting eagerly for the day when it's not.

Perhaps a county or something similar is attacked by zombies, and you need to connect the towns and organize resistance, whilst also fighting bandits at the same time?

e: this is totally different to what you had in mind, I know, but I'm fixed on the concept now.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 10:39:25 pm by Jackrabbit »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 10:39:36 pm »

A randomly generated city filled with undead and a very few survivors. Your goal is to survive and establish a civilisation.

Suffice to say, I've already pondered this idea for a long time. The problem is mainly scale. You'd need to have several systems in place as you progress from lone person holed up in some apartment building, to rag-tag group of survivors, to small town, and then to an armored citadel with death-buses. It just wouldn't work.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 10:41:14 pm »

Suffice to say, I've already pondered this idea for a long time. The problem is mainly scale. You'd need to have several systems in place as you progress from lone person holed up in some apartment building, to rag-tag group of survivors, to small town, and then to an armored citadel with death-buses. It just wouldn't work.

Deadspore.  The biggest disappointment since regular Spore.
Shoes...

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 10:42:52 pm »

Deadspore.  The biggest disappointment since regular Spore.
Hah! Exactly.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 10:48:21 pm »

Well I can't think of the qualities of a perfect zombie game, but I can post an idea I had for one that I think is cool.

Spoiler: Major ending spoilers (click to show/hide)
Hope I got everything down that I wanted to.  I sure put down alot o_O

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 11:08:37 pm »

He's how I want mine.

Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 11:59:10 pm »

6. No finding a random AK47 in the middle of the street, these weapons should be insanely hard to get.
13. No gun attachments except Laser Dot and Silencer, but they must be very hard to find. No COD stuff.

First off, raiding a military base, though tough, especially if the military still exists, should get you these items.
And there are civvy AKs and other 'hard to find' guns.
Most of them are semi-auto, but benchies can make them fully-auto.
Second, there are plenty of attachments besides a laser sight or silencer.
Hell, scopes are way more common than either of those.
Also, a knife or flashlight can easily be taped onto a weapon to make an improvised alternative to a bayonet or mounted flashlight.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 12:48:12 am »

I actually typed up a whole document once on a zombie apocalypse MMO when I was 14 or so- Where the hell did I put that thing? Ah, Got it.

I'm actually surprised at how well I wrote that, my grammur no was good back then.
Pages: [1] 2 3