Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Fortress Screen Snapshots!  (Read 5609 times)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Re: Screen Snapshot of my fortress!
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 07:55:13 pm »

You guys have weird forts.

Here's a snap of my 'main level'

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All my forts follow a basic design centred around 11x11 rooms. I experiment with variations on that theme.

I can't comprehend forts with higgledy piggledy corridors and varying rooms sizes. It makes it impossible to plan ahead or expand in an efficient way. But, most people don't seem to plan forts like me.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 08:40:06 pm »

My preference is about a 45x45 tile footprint maximum on each level (*maybe* 60x60), centered around a 2x2 staircase, with at least 25Z worth of vertical space to work with.  I do a lot of 2-tile corridors with 5x11 rooms branching off to the sides, or 3x4 workshops, or a pack of 3x3 rooms for quarters.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 09:39:03 pm »

You guys have weird forts.
Here's a snap of my 'main level'
All my forts follow a basic design centred around 11x11 rooms. I experiment with variations on that theme.
I can't comprehend forts with higgledy piggledy corridors and varying rooms sizes. It makes it impossible to plan ahead or expand in an efficient way. But, most people don't seem to plan forts like me.

A lot of people seem to like flat, almost 2D forts. I am not usually one of them.

My current 6x6 fort, where there are only 5 underground z-levels, and 20 above ground. Caverns are disabled, so I use above-ground plants and animals. The mining project in the upper right is to get to a patch of nice stone/ore under the aquifer.

The fort is a wood stockade/palisade w/moat around a courtyard and keep. The central keep is mostly made of wood, and has bedrooms above and a food storage basement below in the one non-aquifer sand level.
Spoiler: large image (click to show/hide)

I do have the save file from seconds after embark, if someone else is interested in trying out the concept. The dwarven caravan will bring surface animal/plant goods like the humans usually do. There are carp and gators in the river. Just before I made the first save, some Rhesus Macaques entered the map.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 10:15:00 pm »

How do you make 2d forts. All mine have 5x5 central staircases with no hallways.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 10:17:22 pm »

How do you make 2d forts. All mine have 5x5 central staircases with no hallways.

You build hallways instead of stairs, and keep everything you can on one z-level.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 10:41:55 pm »

23 idlers?! That's terrible! Nobody should ever idle, even if that means that they're hauling junk back and forth.
nothing says "quick lever response time" quite like 23 idlers
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 10:43:22 pm »

Nothing says, "Hey goblins, there are 23 dwarves in my meeting hall" quite like having 23 idlers.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 10:44:17 pm »

Hmm, I have been laying out my dining rooms by putting multiple chairs around tables;

Code: [Select]
c
ctc
 c

I guess that's wrong, would

c
ctt
 ttc
 c

work well? (I'm into symmetry) so it could tile?

c   c
ctt ctt
 ttc ttc
 c   c
  c   c
ctt ctt
 ttc ttc
 c   c
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 11:57:27 pm »

My current fortress, capital of The Castle of Gold, founded by The Gold-Mines on The Golden Plains in the year 5. As you might guess, there's a lot of gold.
Spoiler: Entrance (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ducal Palace (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Royal Palace (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Southern fortress (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Northern fortress (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bedrooms (click to show/hide)
There you go. The entrance, not pictured, is a natural Ayer's Rock-style boulder made of rock salt which I've smoothed and engraved - it used to have caves in it, I mined it hollow and built the path down to the fortress. There's also the ruins of the expeditionary base in the soil layers, where the first hundred dwarves lived while I was building the gold fortress - when they moved in, it was complete except a few stockpiles and bedrooms I've added. If it's yellow and it isn't a bed, it's made of gold; if it's made of gold and it has quality, it's a masterpiece. Fortress wealth has just gone over 10,000,000, most of which is in forgotten beast meat and dwarven syrup roasts.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 03:26:25 am »

I guess having more than a hundred idlers is a bad thing then?

Nice gold palace. That's one thing I miss with the current scarcity of metals. Hopefully when the caravan arc is finished we can trade for more than three or four bars at a time.

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 03:43:14 am »

You do have the latest version, right? There's a world gen parameter (and an option when you choose Create New World Now) that allows you to set metal scarcity. You can make it more common than it was before.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 03:44:05 am »

I'll have to check it out. I have it, but I imported my previous map because I liked that fortress.

Laser Cake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 03:46:37 am »

Ok, so I just finished building the drawbridge, and lo! AMBUSH! As soon as my pithy squad fell to goblin swords all my helpful dwarves ran out of the fortress to their doom, took 37 of 75 of them dying before I found the burrow/military/civilan alerts thingy. On the bright side I cut WAY down on idlers...  Still, quite content with the fortress aesthetic as a whole, even though everyone is now going insane!

BulMaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok follower
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 05:02:22 am »

Id love to post my fort but i feel like the only one using a tileset :(

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 10:34:35 am »

Id love to post my fort but i feel like the only one using a tileset :(

You could turn off graphical (tileset) mode long enough to take a screenshot. Look in the init.txt file.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4