Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Fortress Screen Snapshots!  (Read 5605 times)

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Screen Snapshot of my fortress!
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2011, 11:17:20 am »

This is my current fortress after the fourth wave of migrants. If you have comments or a snapshot of your fortress please share!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I quite like how you have bedrooms just wherever they fit rather than dedicating a whole area for them. It makes the fortress appear far more lively.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

sharpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2011, 08:26:59 pm »

This is my current fortress after the fourth wave of migrants. If you have comments or a snapshot of your fortress please share!

Eww...  Mac. :(

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2011, 09:02:58 pm »

23 idlers?! That's terrible! Nobody should ever idle, even if that means that they're hauling junk back and forth.

really? I am quite happy to have idle dwarves. usually in a large fort i will have 100+ idlers, and a few unlucky shmucks doing all the work to keep them in booze and kitten roast.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2011, 09:33:14 pm »

At 200 dwarves, I generally have about 20 idlers.  And that's even with a massive stone dump project going on.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2011, 09:51:32 pm »

I've not made many forts, they don't tend to follow the same pattern, I look at my surroundings, where the entrance is, a quick idea forms in my plan and then I start to seal it off mildly [Draw bridges and walls in the immediate area etc.] then expand outwards.

I set up a quick area with mason, butcher, kitchen, all together. Then build "sweat shops" and kitchens where I move my workshops, what used to be the makeshift work area becomes first respons barracks... something like that.

I'm planning on recording it, I'm kinda proud of it so far so I will post the link once it's up.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2011, 09:52:39 pm »

My most recent fort was generally vertical and does not lend itself to these nice level by level screenshots, but here is an overall diagram of how it's organized.
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2011, 11:24:11 pm »

Show off.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2011, 01:55:11 am »

When you have only one achievement you gotta get some mileage out of it

The All Guardsmen Party

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2011, 02:07:27 am »

When you have only one achievement you gotta get some mileage out of it

Is all of that constructed or is it underground? 0_o
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Laser Cake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2011, 02:11:24 am »

Wow, Bomepie, I'm amazed.  Farms in the beard, ingenious.

I've not made many forts, they don't tend to follow the same pattern, I look at my surroundings, where the entrance is, a quick idea forms in my plan and then I start to seal it off mildly [Draw bridges and walls in the immediate area etc.] then expand outwards.

I set up a quick area with mason, butcher, kitchen, all together. Then build "sweat shops" and kitchens where I move my workshops, what used to be the makeshift work area becomes first respons barracks... something like that.

I'm planning on recording it, I'm kinda proud of it so far so I will post the link once it's up.

please do, I'm quite interested in how other people's forts come together.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2011, 03:15:38 am »

It was all constructed, the thread dedicated to it lives here http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60145\

On topic, when I make a fortress I love to cram whatever I can into natural geological features. I feel it makes things more interesting otherwise the fortress turns out quite boring. It sort of takes to fun out of choosing a cool embark of you just dig down 5 levels and make the same efficient symmetrical design every time.

There always seems to be a two stage set up in my larger fortresses. The initial rather small housing and workshop areas become to cluttered or overpopulated and instead of adding a second layer I abandon the old areas and shift to a whole new space since the migrants give me the manpower to set everything up quickly.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 03:18:42 am by Bomepie »

The All Guardsmen Party

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2011, 09:06:24 pm »

Since I'm a dirty cheater, here goes my cheated fort!

First there's the main level. There's a level under that, with 40 additional bedrooms, a jail and the hospital. The larger blank room is the stock pile. The smaller is a to-be Scupture Garden. The yellow buildings are cheated-in Training Workshops.

Then there's the adamantine fort. First level with drawbridge closed, cage traps out side and the Depot inside.

And the adamantine fort seem from atop.

Took me more than 1000 adamantine to build that. Alot more than 1000 adamantine.

The adamantine fort is 5-Z levels tall, including the top ramps huge menacing spikes.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2011, 11:28:04 pm »

If you really love showing off your forts, guys, I suggest taking it off to Markavians absolutely marvelous DF MAP ARCHIVE.

Just grab the latest DF map archiver, export an image of your fort (through the same menu where you save your game), and share away! just link to it from here!

(I don't have anything about sharing your screenshots on the forum, but this thing is amazing. You have to see it)
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Laser Cake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2011, 02:40:01 pm »

Ok, its not Pure Adamantite, but here is my current fort, I think there are about 17 Dwarves living here.  Again, I'm going for a natural aesthetic

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2011, 03:55:22 pm »

Really nice job, Laser Cake. In my next fort or two, I'm going to try for a more natural look, too. I always seem to get really bored of my forts when they follow a specific, predetermined layout. I'd prefer them to be unorganised but with character rather than super-efficient and bland.
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4