Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Animals fighting in the pasture O_o  (Read 7711 times)

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
Animals fighting in the pasture O_o
« on: March 17, 2011, 09:08:37 am »

So, recently I've lost 2 animals (yak calf, horse foal) in an underground above ground pasture due to various injuries.
The yak calf was beheaded and the horse foal suffocated.
Are they really fighting in the pen? Yes, they are. Why are they doing it?
EDIT: Seems that the horse foal started by kicking a water buffalo. An alpaca and the other animals joined in (including bunnies, horses, yaks and buffalos) and killed the horse foal.
What is wrong with them??!!
+Amazigh (~Amazigh@poop.poop) Quit (Quit: Life is your butter, I shall be the margarine, beware heart disease.)

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animals fighting in the pasture O_o
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 09:17:15 am »

Sometimes I brush it off as playful animal romping like you see irl cats/dogs do, and I see it all the time in game and no injuries ever occur so I shrug it off.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 09:22:18 am »

Pasture is too small. Make it bigger, or make relocate some animals to another (reasonably large sized) pasture. Animals fight if they are all squashed up together.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 09:23:21 am »

Sometimes I brush it off as playful animal romping like you see irl cats/dogs do, and I see it all the time in game and no injuries ever occur so I shrug it off.

Problem is
The yak calf was beheaded and the horse foal suffocated.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 09:32:18 am »

The pasture is 22x11 blocks. Too small? I doubt it.
I've had smaller pastures without problems.
+Amazigh (~Amazigh@poop.poop) Quit (Quit: Life is your butter, I shall be the margarine, beware heart disease.)

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 09:59:57 am »

It's bloody simple. You need a large pasture. If your animals are fighting, you need a large pasture, or more than one pastures.

Or just keep bees.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 10:13:48 am »

why are they fighting in my 914 tile pasture? they keep standing on each other even though there are 8 empty tiles surrounding most them
LOSING IS FUN!

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 10:29:48 am »

Just a coding thing. Even if you have the largest possible pasture the creatures are coded to start grazing in a particular fashion which always clumps them together. It's a brand new feature so I'm surprised that people are surprised that it has bugs.

dieffenbachj

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Smiles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 10:42:18 am »

I had a yak and a sheep fight in one pasture...

They kicked each other's feet off. Like, both of their left hooves were gone and they had to hobble along.

But yeah. I definitely think we either need the ability to make pastures larger and have the animals clump less.

I also, on the same map, had a massive, max-size pasture for holding only my chickens. I thought that they'd maybe spread out, but nope--they all crowded in the southwest corner of the pasture, and the floors ran red with baby chicken blood as they clawed and pecked each other, one by one, to death.

"Come on guys, if you f***ing hate being near each other, there's more than 6 square you are allowed to be standing in!"

Animal handling IMHO is still harder than it's worth. A little more polish and it'll be great.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 10:45:05 am »

Idea: make ropes, build ropes in pasture zones, assign animals to ropes, spaced far enough away from eachother to not cause infighting. It may be a bit silly, but if you're keeping hairy animals, why not put their wool to use in making rope? Somebody try this.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 10:48:07 am »

Why not make several smaller pastures instead of one large one, and separate the livestock if they are fighting?   :)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 10:49:51 am »

Why not make several smaller pastures instead of one large one, and separate the livestock if they are fighting?   :)

WHY NOT TIE YOUR ANIMALS UP WITH ROPE. COME ON.

...yeah, separate pastures would work too.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 11:14:56 am »

Because some animals graze so much that the 3x3 space round it would dissapear in a minute.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 11:19:05 am »

Because some animals graze so much that the 3x3 space round it would dissapear in a minute.

Good point. Should work for the smaller animals, though (chickens, any other sort of fowl, and I think sheep or goats would be fine as well, not yaks or cows or water buffalos).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 11:23:53 am »

Birds don't eat.  Cage those suckers.
Pages: [1] 2