Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: make it possible to set a surface area as a place that needs to be kept clean  (Read 730 times)

genveir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tend to build a little surface fort around the entrance to my cozy mountain home. The dwarves refuse to keep it clean though. Everything the cats kill just lies around forever. It would be nice if we could somehow tell our dwarves that an area on the surface is part of the fort and needs to be kept clean. (Maybe using the burrow system?)

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hot keys, in order:

o - Orders Menu
r - refuse menu
o - dwarves gather refuse from outside
v - gather vermin from outside

:)
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The original suggestion still has merit, as orders/refuse/outside/vermin defaults to off for a reason.  Being able to paint areas as "virtually inside" via the burrows interface would be a great improvement.

Also, I once had the opposite problem in a 40d game.  My embark location happened to contain a natural cave, of the sort included for the benefit of adventure-mode players.  Eventually some wild animals managed to die inside the cave, and then my dwarves started running past the resident alligator to clear the "indoor" refuse....  So a way to paint underground zones as "virtually outdoors" would also be a great help.

(Plug: looking at the other options on the orders menu, most of them would be unneeded if my Stockpile Greediness suggestion was implemented...
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61443.0)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile

MUST HAVE!!

genveir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the replies!

I know about the orders page, but if I keep the outside gates open, cats will go and mass murder vermin out in the world. (For example, they sometimes slaughter these groups of 50+ rats.) Right now it is solvable using the burrow system, if I paint my entire fortress and assign every dwarf to the "big burrow". That is a lot of work though, since you have to paint everything you dig. It would be nicer if I could just paint the surface area that my dwarves need to see as part of my fortress. :)

Virtual outdoor areas like Michael suggests seem like a logical continuation of this idea. Would be nice if something like this could be implemented.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The original suggestion still has merit, as orders/refuse/outside/vermin defaults to off for a reason.  Being able to paint areas as "virtually inside" via the burrows interface would be a great improvement.

Yeah, I like this. "Indoors" should be a special burrow: it always exists, it automatically adds every underground tile that's dug out and removes every tile that gets exposed to the sky, but it can still be edited with the burrow tools.