Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 210

Author Topic: Eve Online  (Read 270565 times)

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eve Online
« Reply #2295 on: August 13, 2014, 06:18:28 pm »

Not really worried about it currently, yes it does indeed need a cloak, yes I do have safes, yes I do have everything that can pose a danger in here bookmarked, yes each person is watching dscan.

And no, I am not worried about it, but thanks for the concerns. This is also why we need more people, i've done this before but I don't always think clearly on the matter. It is still a learning experience.

Urist McMagicJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: August 15, 2014, 09:53:30 am »

I just re-activated my account and finished most of the career missions, so I have a basic idea of what I'm doing. Can I get some info on the corp? I'm in Minmatar space, but I'd be up for moving all my stuff to where the majority of you guys are based if it means I can get in on some mining ops and mission running. I think the reason I got bored previously is because I didn't have a corp or people to play with, but now the Bay12 corp seems pretty well established, hopefully that will change. My in-game name is Jandallson Caterpillar if you wanna drop me a message or something.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: August 15, 2014, 01:50:20 pm »

I might get into this once my bro goes to college and leaves his Impulse Drive computer behind.
So just asking, is a Boom & Zoom ship (Go fast in, launch alpha-strike, GTFO) feasible/practical?  I've watched some videos of Eve, but not enough to know what works and what doesn't in combat.

qazcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: August 15, 2014, 02:58:12 pm »

I liked it but i never payed for it. I only played the 14 week trial and never got enough for a plex pass.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: August 15, 2014, 04:55:28 pm »

only played the 14 week trial and never got enough for a plex pass.

PLEXing in 14 days with trial account limitation is probably unrealistic. Even activating, paying for a month and then PLEXing for your second month is probably unrealistic. After three months maybe, but you probably won't be enjoying your playtime very much because you'll be spending all of it making ISK to pay for your account rather than playing to play.

is a Boom & Zoom ship (Go fast in, launch alpha-strike, GTFO) feasible/practical?

It's difficult to answer this with a yes or no. Yes, it's possible to...for example...fit a microwarp drive on a slow-firing ship, or sit beyond the minimum warp distance and then warp to a target...then fire a volley and warp out. But I think you generally wouldn't do this because there are very few instances in which it would especially effective. Eve combat is generally a bit slow paced. It's more about meta-game preparation and fleet doctrine than it is about "snazzy fighter piloting."

So, yes. Feasible. But rarely practical. Mostly because you're going to have a difficult time killing anything in a single volley. Now, if by "launch alpha strike" you mean sit somewhere with several buddies in fast frigates, quickly warp to an opposing fleet, spend 20 seconds focusing fire to take out a single ship then warping out before you sustain any losses yourselves...that's completely a feasible, practical, viable thing you could possibly find yourself doing in Eve.

Can I get some info on the corp? I'm in Minmatar space, but I'd be up for moving all my stuff to where the majority of you guys are based if it means I can get in on some mining ops and mission running.

I'm not currently active, but from previous posts it sounds like they're based in Ordion, which is in Amarr space, Kor-Azor region. Same place as the last time we had a bay12 corp I think roughly a year ago. Local market is awful and I remember it being overmined, but there's a conveniently close matched pair of agents if you don't mind low value LP tradeins, and it's only a couple hops from a relatively low-danger region of lowsec . It's not a bad place, if you're looking for mission running and good company, but overall I'd say it's a mildly dull part of the galaxy. Which, as a new player...might be something you specifically want.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: August 15, 2014, 08:03:10 pm »

only played the 14 week trial and never got enough for a plex pass.

PLEXing in 14 days with trial account limitation is probably unrealistic. Even activating, paying for a month and then PLEXing for your second month is probably unrealistic. After three months maybe, but you probably won't be enjoying your playtime very much because you'll be spending all of it making ISK to pay for your account rather than playing to play.

People will claim that they can make 200 or 300 million in a hour, but I haven't seen it done consistantly. The most I have been able to make is about 100m per hour, and that is in a billion isk ship doing incursions and with good skills. My best case scenario it takes more than 6 hours to get a plex, not even counting travel time. That is like 2 dollars an hour.

Can I get some info on the corp? I'm in Minmatar space, but I'd be up for moving all my stuff to where the majority of you guys are based if it means I can get in on some mining ops and mission running.

I'm not currently active, but from previous posts it sounds like they're based in Ordion, which is in Amarr space, Kor-Azor region. Same place as the last time we had a bay12 corp I think roughly a year ago. Local market is awful and I remember it being overmined, but there's a conveniently close matched pair of agents if you don't mind low value LP tradeins, and it's only a couple hops from a relatively low-danger region of lowsec . It's not a bad place, if you're looking for mission running and good company, but overall I'd say it's a mildly dull part of the galaxy. Which, as a new player...might be something you specifically want.

Oridion wasn't so bad. The idea was that it was dead end (less traffic) and had level 2, 3, and 4 Amarr agents. That ment we could level up faction with the Amarr and do level 4s together. We also had grand plans of putzing around low sec.

In practice however, Bucket is right, the area was actually very crowded and often heavily strip mined. We never went into low sec and the traffic meant that people would follow you into WHs or take the better sites. Don't get me wrong, it isn't a bad place, but it really doesn't make a great home, even though I have almost all of my ships there.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: August 15, 2014, 09:11:46 pm »

I might get into this once my bro goes to college and leaves his Impulse Drive computer behind.
So just asking, is a Boom & Zoom ship (Go fast in, launch alpha-strike, GTFO) feasible/practical?  I've watched some videos of Eve, but not enough to know what works and what doesn't in combat.

Absolutely, this is my preferred playstyle for PvP.  They're called stealth bombers and they are arguably one of the most effective ship types provided you stick to their niche.

Faction warfare missions where you only have to destroy one or two targets.  Hunting covert ops ships, t1 exploration frigates and industrials.  Surgical strikes on battleships or above and instantly taking out swarms of frigates and/or drones as a support wing for a larger fleet.  Basically, ruining everyone's day.

People will claim that they can make 200 or 300 million in a hour, but I haven't seen it done consistantly.

It's absolutely possible if you think outside the box.  I have three methods of bringing in 500m+ per hour solo and two of them don't involve scamming :)
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: August 15, 2014, 11:53:09 pm »

Yup yup yup, all of those things are true about Ordion. The main redeeming quality of it is the missions, and it is just for the Amarr Navy.

We poked around low sec today for a couple of hours, mainly encountered people using cov ops. The roam ended when we were hit by a smartbombing raven. But we got to practice our fleet ops and commands, which was honestly really nice.

Been doing probing a lot myself lately and has been stated above, a lot of sites are being grabbed nearly immediately after maintenance. It may be a good idea to find the corp a new home, and if that's the case, I will mention something here. Either way, if we do move, it wont happen for a bit of time.

Again, ingame name is Tenhrwppe, evemail me if you need something.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: August 16, 2014, 04:39:23 pm »

People will claim that they can make 200 or 300 million in a hour, but I haven't seen it done consistently.

It's absolutely possible if you think outside the box.  I have three methods of bringing in 500m+ per hour solo and two of them don't involve scamming :)

See what I mean?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: August 16, 2014, 05:54:35 pm »

Most ISK/hr claims are inflated, or so stripped of context that they're meaningless. They don't include transport time, or assume that you magically only ever get exactly the missions you need, ignore the 2-3 hours you spend waiting and coordinating in teamspeak and only count the 20 minutes you spend shooting, etc.

I have three methods of bringing in 500m+ per hour solo and two of them don't involve scamming

Selling PLEX and selling characters, right?

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: August 16, 2014, 06:01:36 pm »

Most ISK/hr claims are inflated, or so stripped of context that they're meaningless. They don't include transport time, or assume that you magically only ever get exactly the missions you need, ignore the 2-3 hours you spend waiting and coordinating in teamspeak and only count the 20 minutes you spend shooting, etc.

I have three methods of bringing in 500m+ per hour solo and two of them don't involve scamming

Even my 100m/hr on incursions is inflated. It takes at least 30 minutes to get your ship to the new site and it can take a long time to get into the group.

Even if you could pull in 300m an hour, it still takes 2 hours+ to get a plex, which comes down to about $7.50 USD/HR. Less than minimum wage in Washington state.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: August 16, 2014, 06:18:06 pm »

you can make insane ammounts of isk/h with faction warfare.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: August 17, 2014, 03:13:37 am »

Nope.  Not sharing either.  The more people doing what I do, the lower the profits.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: August 17, 2014, 04:03:12 am »

New home?
So are we moving. I like moving.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: August 17, 2014, 04:55:16 am »

No, I just mentioned the possibility of it. That doesn't mean anything concrete, especially since the rest of the gang seems opposed to it.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 210