Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 210

Author Topic: Eve Online  (Read 270424 times)

Rabid_Cog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eve Online
« Reply #2145 on: January 28, 2014, 07:03:19 am »

Interestingly enough, it is hardly the biggest ever Eve battle. It is still very much record breaking, however. Most EXPENSIVE battle in Eve with over $300k worth of crap blown to pieces. Yes, that is three hundred thousand US dollars worth of stuff in real money*.

If you feel like reading up:
http://themittani.com/news/sov-drops-b-r5-immensea-staging-system
http://themittani.com/news/breaking-massive-supercap-battle-br-5
http://themittani.com/news/b-r5rb-biggest-battle-all-eve

*Values calculated using the conversion rate of real money to in game currency through the purchase of PLEX. No legal way to convert said currency back to real life moneys exists. It is highly unlikely that the participants actually spent that much money to obtain what they have, etc...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: January 28, 2014, 07:07:11 am »

From what I've read so far this is the first time in EVE history that Titans (or capital ships in general?) have been used en masse in a not completely one-sided battle.

Also, this "forgot to pay rent" thing. How is it possible to conquer a star system in EVE if the other team actually does pay its rent?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: January 28, 2014, 02:38:01 pm »

From what I've read so far this is the first time in EVE history that Titans (or capital ships in general?) have been used en masse in a not completely one-sided battle.

Also, this "forgot to pay rent" thing. How is it possible to conquer a star system in EVE if the other team actually does pay its rent?
Attrition - there are objects that can be attacked that control the sovereignity of a star system, on a multi-stage timer that takes days to attack.

Rabid_Cog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: January 28, 2014, 02:52:03 pm »

This isn't exactly the first time. There have been a very few battles before where supercapital ships engaged other supercapital ships in strategic (above 10 on a side) numbers: Uemon, Asakai, Y-2 I think to a certain extent and I might be missing a few. But certainly less than 20 in the entire history of Eve.

What this was was the largest such battle with the greatest value of losses ever. This was because it was the first largest battle where the node did not crash due to all the players on it before the slaughter was done. And if I can give you a little insider info, this was because the CFC/RUS side (the people who eventually ended up victorious) went to great lengths to control the number of people in system, keeping it down to a manageable quantity for the node to survive.

They camped the other side's staging systems with most of their smaller ships, keeping both their own and the opposing pilots OUT of the system where the fight was going on. Only a token number of subcapital ships where kept around to keep their own supercaps clear of tacklers and bubblers, and they were mostly leftovers from the initial rush to secure the system and had therefore loaded the system ages ago. Subcapitals were also ordered to abandon the drones they had out in system to further reduce strain. And still, the system was nearly brought to a standstill by the fighting.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2149 on: January 28, 2014, 02:55:14 pm »

I like it when battles are so massive they threaten to destroy the very foundation of the universe.

Rabid_Cog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: January 29, 2014, 04:07:00 am »

I like it when battles are so massive they threaten to destroy the very foundation of the universe.

Welcome to Eve, where the foundation of the universe is so shaky to start with that this is done on a regular basis. And not just by battles either!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: January 29, 2014, 07:26:07 pm »

Most EXPENSIVE battle in Eve with over $300k worth of crap blown to pieces.

Interesting to see mainstream media reporting on this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2547908/EVE-online-sees-biggest-battle.html

Dailymail has the 12th highest circulation out of all newspapers in the world, right up there with USA Today and the Wall Street Journal. That's a lot of free advertising for Eve.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: January 29, 2014, 08:08:20 pm »

I'm actually curious at what the final titan count was.  I've heard 70 from one site, but that dailymail just said it was 100.  Anybody know the precise number of titan casualties?

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: January 29, 2014, 08:14:38 pm »

I'm actually curious at what the final titan count was.  I've heard 70 from one site, but that dailymail just said it was 100.  Anybody know the precise number of titan casualties?

The devblog said 70. But many players in the battle claim CCP numbers appeared too low to them.

Rabid_Cog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: January 30, 2014, 02:26:57 am »

This article is a very good explanation, not only of what happened during the battle but also why it happened and what the relevant underlying mechanics of the game are, as you would explain to a layman. Even if you have never heard of Eve Online before, you should be able to get a better understanding of what happened from this if you are interested.

http://themittani.com/features/largest-virtual-battle-ever?page=0%2C0

Its written by actual players who were, if not there themselves, at least edited by players who were there. They also have links to some statistics posted by CCP -the game developers - themselves. And the final tally according to them was 59 titans lost on one side and 16 lost on the other, so that is 75 total titans dead.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: January 30, 2014, 03:20:46 am »

CCP put up a memorial at the site:

The Titanomachy

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #2156 on: February 03, 2014, 05:43:45 pm »

Just resubbed after six years of absense. Man it is good to be back in the pod again. I love this game so.

So, is there a Bay 12 corp or anything? I don't like sitting in NPC corps long. I want friends to talk to. :)
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: February 03, 2014, 06:44:02 pm »

No but their is a channel.
Bay12 Eve
Its fairly quiet but I leave it open when I'm online.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: February 04, 2014, 11:28:58 am »

Just resubbed after six years of absense. Man it is good to be back in the pod again. I love this game so.

So, is there a Bay 12 corp or anything? I don't like sitting in NPC corps long. I want friends to talk to. :)

Well, i remember MoLAoS was considering making a Bay12 Corp, and boosting some newbies with plex. If he's still going to do that later then it will be perfect, my summer's going to be open and I want a personal Battlestar that launches drones/fighters/whatever and can bring the pain with its own guns. And looks like a Teladi ship from the X-series. Ahhhhhh, i miss my old Shrike, the first cap ship i ever owned in any space sim ever.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: February 04, 2014, 03:11:41 pm »

Well, I got somewhat inconvenienced when PL threw the game and Immensea was lost. We'll see if I can manage to make it through. I am not sure. Main problem is lack of logistics currently.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 210