Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 210

Author Topic: Eve Online  (Read 270511 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eve Online
« Reply #2040 on: November 30, 2013, 07:11:21 pm »

Can anyone spare me like 12mil ISK to buy and fit a MOA? I have been finding some decent gurista spawns but either they crush my shield or this asshole in a caracal comes in and blows them all up while they are slaughtering me and steals my bonus spawns. A dread gurista spawned with loot and salvage worth like 3mil and he stole it even though I did most of the work. Plus caracal can handle these spawns easily without dying or needing to spend isk to heal armor and structure.

which ship are you using? which fit?.....

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: November 30, 2013, 08:10:45 pm »

Currently I have a cormorant with 5 rails, 3 salve mods, i'd dump a salve for rail but lack the power grid to do so. one mse, one ssb, 1lowest level afterburner, a cargo extender and a passive speed boost.

I actually got up to like 8million credits by farming combat anomalies but i miss out of anything over hideaway or refuge cause im too weak.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: November 30, 2013, 08:16:02 pm »

Can anyone spare me like 12mil ISK to buy and fit a MOA?

Sure, I can send 12 million your way. Who am I sending it to?

Plus caracal can handle these spawns easily without dying or needing to spend isk to heal armor and structure.

Then why are you planning to buy a Moa? You trained hybrids rather than missiles? That's valid, but before you invest too deeply in the hybrid tree you might consider asking what you want to be flying three to six months from now. As a caldari pilot using hybrid turrets, you're probably looking at Moa --> Ferox --> Rokh, whereas if you go missiles you're probably looking at Caracal --> Drake --> (Tengu/Raven) What would you rther be flying in six months?

Also, couple tips:

1) Don't let yourself take structure damage. If you're flying Caldari, you're a shield tank. 33% shields is the point of peak shield regeneration. If you're fighting things that can take you below 33%, they are capable of destroying your ship. Warp out somewhere between 0% and 33% shields.

2) You can speed up your warp outs by aligning to your destination. For example, if you see that you're at 29% shields, you can safely anticipate that you might need to warp out. So align right away, stay a bit longer, and then warp when you're ready to flee.

3) Once you're in the habit of pre-aligning, don't get into the habit of waiting too long to actually flee. The 5-10 seconds you might save finishing off a ship is not worth losing a ship over.

4) You can eliminate repair costs with a one time purchase of an armor (and structure, but don't take structure damage) repairer. Simply swap it in when you're at a station, repair yourself then swap it back out.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: November 30, 2013, 08:42:00 pm »

I like the Moa. I don't really wanna fly a missile boat.

Anyways I mostly know what spawns I can handle and/or warp out before I take structure. I did die once early on though.

My login name is TheKeeperOf, and my character name is Mathias Afrostian. I dunno what you need to send money.

I do know that Drake's are really popular but for some reason they don't intrigue me.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: November 30, 2013, 08:55:49 pm »

wow thanks. that was ridiculously fast.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: November 30, 2013, 09:12:51 pm »

I like the Moa. I don't really wanna fly a missile boat.

Anyways I mostly know what spawns I can handle and/or warp out before I take structure. I did die once early on though.

My login name is TheKeeperOf, and my character name is Mathias Afrostian. I dunno what you need to send money.

I do know that Drake's are really popular but for some reason they don't intrigue me.

i felt the same when i tried a caldari alt, people always do missiles, it would be cool to have more rail action, i've never seen a rokh in lvl 4 missions anyways, maybe in anoms, but whatever, i used to do lvl 2s in a moa in a trial is good, i have an alt training for rails i think. so i can use a rokh.

now about your fit, you need to improve it. the cormorant is a very tight beast in terms of fitting. at the start you wont take most of its potential performance, but once you get better skills those free slots will feel with an increase in benefits.

i recommend you get a program called EFT, its like an offline version of the ship fitting menu, and you can test different fits for your ships. and then export them to the game as XML files (it even has a manager for that). now, EFT wont mean that you'll get the same results, but at least you can test fits to se how would be the performance of the ship even before actually testing it ingame.

i made a fit for you, i dont know much about caldari, but this should do the trick:

highslots:

150 mm prototype gauss gun x4

midslots:

experiental 1mn afterbuner

limited anointed EM ward field

limited thermic dissipation field I

lowslots:

insulated stabilizer array x2

rigs:

small processor overclocking unit I

small capacitor control circuit I x2

the 150 mm are the largest railguns you can get for a small ship, the EM ward field and the Thermal dissipator help to cover your shield resistances in EM and Thermal damage respectivately. the stabilizer arrays are magnetic stabilizer which are weapon upgrades for the hybrid turrets.

the processor overclocking rig helps to cover CPU but i think you must have enough skills so this isnt an issue, so in case you dont need it, you can use the rigslot for something related to shield recharge rate. or something. the cormorant doesnt have enough slots for a passive shield tanker, so you have to rely in having good resistances at least. 3 mid slots make it hard too. but anyways. the cap control circuit (or CCC in EVE slang) help to cover the lack of capacitor. at noob skills this means your ship will be shooting and using its modules in active for around 5 minutes, at good skills (lvl V in all) it becomes cap stable, so you can mess around with the rigs and change them to other rigs you would want to use.

notes about it, you dont have to have all the modules active at the time, you can just activate important modules when you need them, for example, if you swap the hardeners to:

midslots:

-small CL-5 shield overload
-limited adaptative invulnerability field

the first one is a shield booster, you can use it only when you need to recharge your shield, or when you're surrounded and need to GTFO without getting armor damage. the invulnerability field enhances the resistances of your shiled across all the fields this means an increase in thermal, em, explosive and kinetic. i would suggest to use the hardeners i posted in the fit, but that would mean that you have to rely in the normal recharge rate of the cormorant. but you'll have a longer capacitor time and the enemy will do less damage (in the case of fighting against enemies which do em and/or thermal damage since shields are good against explosive and kinetic by default).

the shield booster and the invul module gives you only 48 seconds of capacitor if you really need to activate them. the two hardeners give you shield resistances for more than 5 minutes. so you decide. but as i said, the bigger your skills get, the easier it becomes to fit your ship. once you get in better lvls you'll be able to make some use of those free highslots in the cormorant, be it adding more turrets or adding salvagers or whatever you want to do with them.

edit:

a noted also, if you want to keep advancing in hybrid weapons, you can crosstrain to gallente, EVE allows you to use all the ships in game as long as you have the skill requirements, so you can still use caldari and gallente ships, you could even mess around with amarr and minmatar hulls to test how would hybrids work there. gallente is the hybrid race, so they have some of the meanster blaster and railgun brawlers. as caldari are focused more in missiles. you're free to decide anyways. and well, caldari have good hybrid hulls. i dont remember if the navy and T2 versions have hybrid based hulls, so i can only cover T1 for that.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 09:22:34 pm by xaritscin »

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: November 30, 2013, 09:42:18 pm »

Picked up the Moa. Had 10 pay 11mil or make 6 extra jumps to save 1 mil. Taking it back to my main station to fit up. Hopefully my much higher shield tank and damage output will make up for only being able to have 1 salvaging module. Perhaps I can fit some drones to make up for that. I am somewhat tempted to run another account and just have it follow me to salvage but that its a lot of extra effort.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 09:45:09 pm by MoLAoS »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: November 30, 2013, 10:00:24 pm »

Picked up the Moa. Had 10 pay 11mil or make 6 extra jumps to save 1 mil. Taking it back to my main station to fit up. Hopefully my much higher shield tank and damage output will make up for only being able to have 1 salvaging module. Perhaps I can fit some drones to make up for that. I am somewhat tempted to run another account and just have it follow me to salvage but that its a lot of extra effort.

note the moa is a cruiser ship, this means it uses mid sized modules.....so you'll have to buy a completelly new set for it. the drones are a must, the bigger the ship, the harder it has to kill smaller ships than itself, for a cruiser a flight of light drones cover your problem with frigates, so you can focus your weapons for destroyers, other cruisers, battlecruisers and bigger ships than you (battleships)....

weapon upgrades and salvagers are an example of modules not dependant in ship size. so you can have them there, but if you want to make that hull to work you have to get medium sized turrets, shiled modules and other stuff like that. maybe medium rigs.

the good outcome of this, is that when you're ready to jump into a Ferox battlecruiser, you can just move the fit you had for the moa, and see if there's more to buy or instead, you can keep some modules in station as extra if you loose the ship (something very unlikely in high sec)....

ships and modules relation in EVE are listed by size as:

small (S): Frigates and Destroyers

medium (M): Cruisers and Battlecruisers, mining barges/exhumers, and other special ships (Noctis, Echelon?, Gnosis, Primae), industrial ships

large (L): Battleships

extra large (XL): carriers, dreadnoughts, supercarriers, titans, capital industrial ships as the Rorqual and the Orca (the orca is a special case), freghters and jump freighters.

as for drones, there are 4 drone sizes:

-light scout: good against small ships
-medium combat: good against medium ships
-large combat: good against large and XL ships
-sentries: a bit more powerfull than large but are inmobile

there are also drones designed for EWAR and Logistics....

as you use a moa, you could use light drones, mediums and large also if you have enough dronebay and bandwith for that. but i doubt you would need them. the type of damage done by drones depend in the drone's race:

-amarr == EM
-gallente == Thermal
-caldari == Kinetic
-minmatar == Explosive

if you know the weak resistance spot of your enemies you can use specific damage types from your drones. this can help you cover the lack of damage type you have, since hybrid weapons do only thermal and kinetic. you could have also amarr and minmatar drones so you can cover EM and Explosive damage too.

caldari ships arent known to be drone masters anyways, but you can take some of this help for enhancing your chances of survival in anomalies.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 10:12:47 pm by xaritscin »

Epithemius

• Bay Watcher
  • [AFTERTHOUGHT:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: November 30, 2013, 10:30:31 pm »

My advice? Get out of hisec. Break into 0.0, or if that's not your thing, NPC 0.0 is great too. Run while you can. There's literally nothing interesting to do there compared to 0.0; no metagame, no interesting mechanics, nothing to make it anything more than a sub-par MMO.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: November 30, 2013, 10:32:58 pm »

On the other hand nullsec requires a corp, tons of time to devote, and a few other things.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: November 30, 2013, 10:33:34 pm »

My advice? Get out of hisec. Break into 0.0, or if that's not your thing, NPC 0.0 is great too. Run while you can. There's literally nothing interesting to do there compared to 0.0; no metagame, no interesting mechanics, nothing to make it anything more than a sub-par MMO.

nothing to get your ass kicked by a bunch of assholes in a gatecamp. the guy has just started going to null sec with that entry lvl is suicidal. he would loose isk that he could save for improvements.

Epithemius

• Bay Watcher
  • [AFTERTHOUGHT:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: November 30, 2013, 11:14:59 pm »

nothing to get your ass kicked by a bunch of assholes in a gatecamp. the guy has just started going to null sec with that entry lvl is suicidal. he would loose isk that he could save for improvements.
I got into lowsec at 3M SP, and I've seen people who have gone in at 500K SP, fresh into EVE, right into nullsec. It doesn't take loads of time, you just need to find the right corp. I play only a couple hours a week at most, and I still have fun.
EDIT: this is also an MMO, the entire point is to find other people to work with, while trying to kill others.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #2053 on: December 01, 2013, 12:23:19 am »

Just want to add, Faction space PVP is the best if you do it right. No blob fights really, just small gangs and war decs.
I got nothing

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: December 01, 2013, 12:27:25 am »

He has an 8 day old character. "Join a nullsec corp and let them show you the ropes" is not awful advice, but "take that ship that somebody gave you money so you could buy and can't possibly afford to replace, and head directly to 0.0" ...yeah, that's awful advice.

It won't hurt him to spend his first month in highsec.

@MoLAos:
Eve has a couple different types of space and security statuses: highsec, lowsec, nullsec and wormhole space. They each have different quirks, different social dynamics and different pvp rules. It's also fairly common for players in each of these different areas to perceive people who play in the areas as either crazy, crippled, or generally missing out on the game.

There's something to be said for each, I'm not going to try to promote one over another...but I recommend you know what you're getting into before you make any long term plans. Or at least be flying a ship you don't mind losing if you decide to go exploring. It's true that highsec is a very incomplete window into the game. If you never leave it, there's a lot of Eve you'll never see. I highly encourage you to not be afraid to leave highsec, but it's not like all the fun to be had in Eve is kept in locked containers in any particular region of space.

Be aware that the people trying to tell you that all the fun to be had is in their type of space, what they really mean is that they personally enjoy where they play more than the other options. There is no fixed progression of highsec to lower security. Each type of space has things the others lack. If you stay in highsec, yes you'll miss out on player sovereinty, capital ships, and massive space battles. If you move deep into nullsec yes you'll have those things but you'll miss out on incursions and factional warfare. If you move to lowsec, yes you'll have easy access to both pvp and highsec, but the primary thing to do in lowesc is be a pirate which means either having to grind rats to keep your security status up or risk being gunned down by both npcs, gate sentry guns and opportunistic players. If you move to a wormhole yes you'll have the benefits of whatever it is wormhole people do, but it means routinely being stuck in wormhole space unable to leave for sometimes days or weeks at a time.

My advice is that whatever you decide to do, get the whole story.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 210