Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 210

Author Topic: Eve Online  (Read 270595 times)

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eve Online
« Reply #1935 on: September 28, 2013, 01:11:22 pm »

I had a fight last week, Frozen Dawn contacted us and said they were doing a LAN party and had been rolling wormholes for fights and had no luck so did we wanna fight them. Spent two hours rolling our static till we got there home system, jumped a 30 man gang through, ended up killing six capitals and had some of them dance naked on their twitch feed of the LAN party to ransom out the last Moros.

This is why I will never go back to live in nullsec again.
1. How long does it take to get stuff? Like, is advancing in the game fast at first, but slow later on?

2. Can a midspec computer from 4 years ago run it alright?

3. How much can a person accomplish alone? Is solo gameplay very different from playing in groups?

4. How's the community?

5. What do you even do in this game? From the bits of the website I looked on, it looked kind of limited.

It depends entirely, in the beginning of the game you might aspire to buy your first battleship which is entirely doable inside a month, your skills to use it effectively will suck however. But then you get into aspects like tech 2 ships, tech 3 ships and capitals which are each much more difficult to skill effectively, I didn't even touch capital skills for three years of play because I wanted to focus on smaller things
As far as "Getting them" it depends entirely on how you make your isk, theres miners in high sec who make five million an hour an good days, there's mission runners and nullsec ratters who make 20, there's incursions making 100, wormholers making 300, traders making absolute silly money and the leaders of nullsec blobs who sit and laugh as they skim the fruits of their members. Your isk is your effective limit on what stuff you can get to have fun with.

I'd say the odds are you could run it, mine used to run it fine before it shat itself and got replaced and I've even had a certain amount of success with old laptops.

A solo person can accomplish whatever they effort they put into it, I know people who have ran ten toons, made enough to plex them and justify in their minds running all those accounts. Its upto you what you intend to do but generally speaking, the social element of EVE is what gives its staying power, if you don't have a working microphone I wouldn't even bother as every entity worth belonging to uses voicecomms.

Community is like anything on the internet, you got assholes and you got decent folks, I remember something a few years back where CCP said the average age of an EVE player was 29 and it shows somewhat, but recently I wonder if its been infiltrated with more 4chan-esque dipshits or if thats just the culture of Goons and Reddit type bullshit getting more exposure.

As for what you do, generally you kill NPC's for money and other players for fun, because at the end of the day its really a 100% PVP environment. Otherwise you can mine those minerals to build those modules, to do some inventions to build better ships and modules and sell them to players like me as almost every single item on the EVE market has been produced by another player.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 01:34:03 pm by Ivan Issaccs »
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: September 28, 2013, 01:33:40 pm »

Living in wormholes drives people funny.

Praise Bob.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: September 28, 2013, 01:36:46 pm »

Praise Bob.

I know right! Two entities consenting to fight each other for fun instead of sov and moons! Those wormholers are just fucking crazy!
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: September 28, 2013, 02:19:56 pm »

Praise Bob.

WHs in EVE are the most FUN content in the game. i wish we had some clowns there....

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: September 28, 2013, 02:30:15 pm »

WH life drove me crazy, ended up quitting a hand full of months ago.

In hindsight, I should have moved all of my stuff out of the WH first...

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: September 28, 2013, 02:37:19 pm »

I can confirm that NoHo, Frozen Dawn and SSC definitely contain clowns.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: September 28, 2013, 06:10:13 pm »

WH life drove me crazy, ended up quitting a hand full of months ago.

In hindsight, I should have moved all of my stuff out of the WH first...

Been there, done that. Twice.

The third time I moved my stuff out of the WH first. As they say: third time's the charm!
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: September 28, 2013, 07:15:40 pm »

I made some okay ISK doing it, but I found it pretty boring. Probably due to it being such a small operation, we didn't do all that much, and I generally missed all the PvP.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1943 on: September 28, 2013, 07:27:49 pm »

I still live in w-space (C5 W-R woot woot!) and it is still fun as hell for me.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: September 28, 2013, 07:58:21 pm »

the last corp and alliance in null i was had space in innsmother, we didnt have jump bridges nor jump freighters so we scanned and used WHs to move from our space to high sec, it was very exciting :)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: September 28, 2013, 08:36:43 pm »

Every so often I see this thread, and say,
"This game looks kinda cool and worth my time but subscription, meh."
For once I actually looked deeper into the game, and being that I'm finally at a time in my life where I can consider getting a job, I might play.

If you do, here's link to a 21 day trial. This link will give you an extra week of play beyond the usual 14 day trial. Plus I'll get a plex when you take the account off trial. Thank you.

Related, if paying for the monthly subscription is an issue, it actually is possible to pay for your account with in-game currency. If want an easy to way to do that, activate your trial by paying for a 3 month subscription for ~39 euros, then start planetary interaction skills on three different characters. You can only train one character at a time, so you'll have to divide up your training time for a month or so, but once you have it set up properly planets can be worth roughly a million ISK/day even in highsec and very reasonable skilll levels. Three characters on a single account with 5 planets each can comfortably generate about 450 million ISK/month. Some people say they make as much as 50 million per planet per month, but 30 is probably more realistic. 3 characters, five planets, one million a day each = 450 million/month. And if you push your skills an extra two week per character to be able to farm an extra planet, you should be able to bring that up to ~540 million/month.

Game time is about 600 million ISK/month, and a couple month old character in a well fitted cruiser can probably pull in 8-10 million/hour running L3 missions. Planets only take a couple minutes a day, plus an hour or so of hauling and selling once or twice a month. It's very fast. Add in an extra 6 hours of hour mission running per month, and your account pays for itself within the first three months.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: September 29, 2013, 05:42:35 am »

If I could give any advice to any EVE player, it would be to move out of null and into c5/6 wormholes.
Aside from the fact your going to make 200 million isk an hour, I find the PVP to be the best you are likely to find anywhere. No more time dilation, blobs where you dont matter, structure bashing and your faction fitted tech 3's and carriers will be the staple of your killboard instead of rifters.

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: September 29, 2013, 11:01:45 am »

I wonder, how pay 2 win is this game? I heard that you can buy ships with real money, doesnt that cause inflation? Who made the ships? are they spawned out of thin air?
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: September 29, 2013, 11:05:40 am »

I wonder, how pay 2 win is this game? I heard that you can buy ships with real money, doesnt that cause inflation? Who made the ships? are they spawned out of thin air?
the game is not pay to win since you can practically loose everything you've made or bought. even your skillpoints can be lost if you dont keep your clone updated.

no matter how much isk you buy and how blinged your ships are you can loose it everything. if you look at the killboards, there's people that have lost ships worth more than 60 billions (game currency). and they were PvE ships. now imagine when someone looses a capital ship. no matter the size of the ship, no matter the modules. you cannot win in this game, you'll get screwed eventually, but you can get up as quick you fall.

the ships dont spawn from thin air (only the noob ships which are worth nothing). 90% of the stuff in the game is done by players  via industry (asteroid/ice/gas mining, planet interaction, moon mining and reactions, exploration, manufacturing and research, salvaging and looting). faction ships are generated with BPCs which are both dropped or bought from NPC stores using tags and loyalty points, so players have to grind for them. as for T3 ships, they're done with reverse engineering, T2 ships are upgrades of T1 ships so they need an already made ship in order to be created.

noob ships are the only ships that are created by the game and given to them, apart from mission rewards, like the ships and modules given in the tutorial missions and some storylines.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:13:56 am by xaritscin »

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: September 29, 2013, 12:52:04 pm »

Eve isn't pay2win at all because no amount of isk/plex/money can save you from being stupid and dying in a fire.

In fact, flying nicer ships makes you more of a target, so I hope you fly smart and have friends.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 210