Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 210

Author Topic: Eve Online  (Read 270618 times)

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
Re: Eve Online
« Reply #1920 on: September 10, 2013, 09:53:13 am »

PTW because EVE.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1921 on: September 10, 2013, 04:56:15 pm »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1922 on: September 10, 2013, 05:30:43 pm »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1924 on: September 10, 2013, 06:54:28 pm »

I guess dragon just had a brain fart or something.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: September 15, 2013, 06:38:11 am »

For the ship numbers, it's important to remember that most people will have a rather large number of ships stored in various stations around the galaxy, meaning that the number of ships is significantly higher than the number of players.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: September 25, 2013, 12:11:47 pm »

I won EVE a few weeks ago. Which is to say I got hotdropped and lost my Vexor Navy Issue ratting ship and so I can't afford to  buy a plex presently so I'm taking a vacation.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: September 26, 2013, 11:51:57 am »

Every so often I see this thread, and say,
"This game looks kinda cool and worth my time but subscription, meh."
For once I actually looked deeper into the game, and being that I'm finally at a time in my life where I can consider getting a job, I might play.
I need to know a few things first, though, before I make any sort of decision.

1. How long does it take to get stuff? Like, is advancing in the game fast at first, but slow later on?

2. Can a midspec computer from 4 years ago run it alright?

3. How much can a person accomplish alone? Is solo gameplay very different from playing in groups?

4. How's the community?

5. What do you even do in this game? From the bits of the website I looked on, it looked kind of limited.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: September 26, 2013, 12:32:36 pm »

1. How long does it take to get stuff? Like, is advancing in the game fast at first, but slow later on?

Eve doesn't work like other games in the "get stuff" category. It is somewhat hard to measure your advancement in the game. If you want the next best ship in the line, sure, that will take longer as you go up the chain.

I decided I wanted a new Battleship (higher end ship) equipped with gear to do special missions. It took a couple weeks to save the money and buy one.

2. Can a midspec computer from 4 years ago run it alright?

I would say probably. Remember, this is a 10 year old game with lots of graphic updates.

3. How much can a person accomplish alone? Is solo gameplay very different from playing in groups?

Ehhhhhh. Solo and group play is different. Group play missions is very different from group play missions, or group play worm holes, or group play PVP.

How much can you do on your own? A lot I guess. You aren't going to be a super manufacturer or anything, but you can do missions and gain some money. You can do some mining and sell the ore. You could even sneak into low sec or worm holes and take some of the really good stuff. That being said, group play is where it is at.

4. How's the community?

The community isn't bad, but I don't generally have a problem with communities. Keep in mind that in any of the hubs you are going to run into a ton of scams and scams are totally authorized by the devs. If you screw up and accidentally PAY someone to take your item, that is on you.

5. What do you even do in this game? From the bits of the website I looked on, it looked kind of limited.

Limited it is NOT. Almost everything in the game is made by players. There are tons to do and tons of ways to specialize. Back a page ago or so there was a write up on a big battle. You have players piloting (and specializing) in all kinds of military crafts, players mining and building replacement ships.

All of that being said, when you get into the game you are going to be given a tutorial. The tutorial is going to run you through a bunch of missions and a bunch of different roles. You'll probably enjoy that. Once the tutorial is done though, you are going to be looking around thinking "Well, I can mine shit ore, do shit missions, or sit here and stare at the station."

The best thing to do is to get into a group that gives you a job.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: September 26, 2013, 12:44:40 pm »

Now I'm not the most veteran of players, but I'll try to answer you.

1) On skills: It's surprisingly fast to level skills at first (the first skills take like ten minutes to train) but gets explosively slower as skills start taking days, weeks, and months to train. I do like the model more than standard MMO, because that means people with jobs can throw money into it and just have the practical skills to work on. There's a smarter, more mature group of players in EVE than in other MMOs, as long as you keep the right company. On stuff: It depends on what you do, really. I started off mining, refining, and trading the refined products and made a few hundred million in the first couple months of play on my own. Mining is slow and boring. On the flipside the combat stuff, solo anyways, doesn't seem to net as quick and large a profit, but then you're training comes in handy against other players as well.

2) My low-spec, 6-year old, held together by tape and with no actual battery can run EVE pretty well. It's not beautiful, but it's pretty smooth.

3) I've made a good bit of progress alone, but eventually you find people who you can work together with. Solo gameplay and group gameplay are just about two separate EVEs, in my opinion. It's kind of like bacon and pork chops. The smaller one is delicious, but it's not as big or as filling. But the pork chops are bigger, and heartier, and can still be extremely satisfying when done right (or horribly bad when not). Just to be clear, Solo gameplay is bacon and group stuff is the pork chops.

4) Like anywhere on the internet, really. But it's pretty easy to find a group of people you can tolerate and blow up the ones you can't, and when you look behind the scenes it's the same general group of d-bags that try to run things (not referring to CCP...or am I? No, not originally, anyway). I know I can't go and play any MMO without having "Goon" mushroom-stamped all over the place.

5) By no means is it limited. I can't really explain what there is to do well, but there are a good few tutorials once you start that scratch the surface of the tip of the iceberg.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: September 26, 2013, 12:55:01 pm »

PTW because I had almost the same question as facekillz.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: September 27, 2013, 08:33:11 am »

Eve online, more than other MMOs, is really a game where what you get out of it is determined by who you play and fly with - your corporation.

Some corporations are just about gaining in game money through mining and industry, some are small gang pvp and pirates, others engage in giant fleet battles to control the best resources and space in the galaxy, some are space truckers supplying goods to the far reaches of the map, others permanently engage other corporations in a forever war of tears by blowing up their internet spaceships.

Some take the game seriously, some not at all, and others are in it because it provides some of the best stories and player driven content than any other MMO in existence.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: September 27, 2013, 09:13:04 am »

it provides some of the best stories and player driven content than any other MMO in existence.

That's one thing that I find very interesting about Eve. I don't like playing the game but I do enjoy reading about some of the events that take place with in it. It just seems to have that "epic" feeling that other mmos can't really replicate.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: September 27, 2013, 05:34:44 pm »

Trying to play this game alone and just do grinding seems like the worst possible way to play. I tried getting into the game three separate times as a solo industrialist with a small corp and every time I burned out.

This time I signed up for GoonWaffe immediately and within days I was taking part in major battles with hundreds to thousands of people. Diving in head first into the PvP side sounds scary but with a big Corp it's really quite great.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: September 27, 2013, 11:37:21 pm »

Trying to play this game alone and just do grinding seems like the worst possible way to play. I tried getting into the game three separate times as a solo industrialist with a small corp and every time I burned out.

This time I signed up for GoonWaffe immediately and within days I was taking part in major battles with hundreds to thousands of people. Diving in head first into the PvP side sounds scary but with a big Corp it's really quite great.

solo content is harder and several times more complicated to do at the start, i do missions, mine and do PI in high sec as i dont have a corp or alliance now. dont want to mess with political bullshit for now. the problem is having a commitment to grinding as your account income, that's why i only play in holidays, so i can grind all the day and get several months worth of game in 2 months. sounds boring but the rest of the year i could play free without problems...

entering a corp and by that extent an alliance is good for player development. but dont feel too comfortable....things can cange in any moment.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 210