Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 210

Author Topic: Eve Online  (Read 270524 times)

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eve Online
« Reply #2010 on: November 12, 2013, 12:28:10 pm »

My buddy and I were talking about economy stuff in video games and, of course, EVE came up.  We've both played a fair amount of EVE, but never really stuck with it.  I came up with the most brilliant idea ever for CCP: world reset.  How many people drop or don't try EVE because of how entrenched the power structures and how many SP you need to have even an average toon?  The question is, how many vets would ragequit when they found out they would lose thousands of dollars and maybe tens of thousands of hours spent in-game?

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: November 12, 2013, 01:14:53 pm »

Most of them. It would financially cripple CCP.
More to the point, those power structures would still exist, within five minutes of the server going back up, the same people would reform the same entities. Its possibly the worst idea I have ever heard.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: November 12, 2013, 01:35:05 pm »

Those power structures exist because they have isk and space.  They could not exist for months in a new game, if they could ever return.  Not to mention that most of them are built on alliances of convenience and bug exploitation.  The moment you wipe the map, their allegiances and networks don't really matter.

Sounds like you're exactly the kind of vet I was talking about.  It certainly would be catastrophic for established players to lose their permanent advantages over newbies.

ed: If the majority of people who play EVE play it because they've invested so much time, then it says something about how they value the gameplay.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:43:47 pm by Rez »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: November 12, 2013, 01:41:56 pm »

The problem with your idea is not whatever advantage you're going on about. (Haven't played eve personally,btw) The problem is that eve has almost zero economy if you dumped the world. Where will you get anything from, much less ships?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: November 12, 2013, 02:06:57 pm »

No reason you couldn't have NPC manufacturers in EVE for a time.  They build stuff, haulers move stuff around and throw down sell orders at mission hubs and trade centers.  As long as the NPC-produced items cost well above what BP produced items cost, there would be incentive for people to mine and do industry stuff.  Obviously missions and pirate bounties would continue to be the fountains of currency into the economy. The economy would be funky for a few months, but I am certain that the players would normalize it, as long as CCP correctly configured the NPC manufacturers to produce things at a steep mark-up.

That's basically what happens with complex and officer mods already.  You trade value in time for a module directly.

Ed: And when I say correctly configure, I mean a one time thing.  As soon as the mineral value of the ship and manufacture cost drops below the NPC prices, competition would take over and you could phase out the NPC manufacturers.  To do this, you'd probably arrange it so that a miner can produce a ships worth of minerals in significantly less time than it takes someone drawing from the ISK fountains and salvage to buy one.  There's tremendous incentive to start industry quickly, because the 'innovators' would price down from the NPC prices and make boatloads of ISK.  Economic complexities ensue.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:21:52 pm by Rez »

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: November 12, 2013, 02:31:57 pm »

I guess I am forgetting that at least half of the accounts in EVE are alts that are dependent on the PLEX market and many of the toons those alts have are devoted to making money passively, via research, PI, or botting.  Since you'd be looking at a rather sizeable inflation, everyone would want to sit on their PLEX until the general market had calmed down.  Now that I think of it, that does slightly complicate using NPC vendors to bridge the gap as industry players start producing.  All you really need to do is maintain their price above market values with daily adjustments for inflation.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: November 12, 2013, 02:50:52 pm »

Oh good, yet another website where the anti-MMO crowd has shown its ugly face. Thank god for CCP not listening to the dumb bullshit that has ruined the very MMOness of almost every other MMO out there.

A universe reset would turn EVE into the next SWG death spiral shitfest. The whole fucking point of EVE is that its persistent.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: November 12, 2013, 03:20:08 pm »

So, shitty for everyone but long time veterans.  Gotcha.  EVE continues to show that it has the shittiest community of any game.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: November 12, 2013, 03:25:26 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoilered since its not entirely on topic but I wanted to say it anyway.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: November 12, 2013, 03:33:05 pm »

Oh good, yet another website where the anti-MMO crowd has shown its ugly face. T
one guy having a chat with himself does not make a crowd.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: November 12, 2013, 03:57:29 pm »

So, shitty for everyone but long time veterans.  Gotcha.  EVE continues to show that it has the shittiest community of any game.

I don't even play EVE. So I'm not part of the EVE "community." Dumbass.

The purpose of EVE is to simulate a persistent universe. Much like real life, advantages accumulate over time. That's the whole POINT. So yes, you can't play for 4 months and become a top level corp leader or own half of NullSec. Boohoo. Go play a MOBA or something. Not EVERY game has to be a lame twitch fest with 30 minute accumulation of resource caps.

You can still play EVE and have fun without being a top player. If you have a solid community to draw from you can even get into NullSec in only a couple of years.

Why do you think you would even have a chance to become a top player even with a reset when you clearly lack the basic abstract reasoning capacity to understand the purpose of MMOs? EVE is a game of economics and politics. That's WHY PEOPLE LIKE IT. You have to be able to reason about long term strategies and do some complex math and all sorts of other awesome things that most other MMOs dropped ages ago to appeal to the CandyCrushCrowd like yourself.

Goonswarm is organized off site, so even if you reset the world they would already know how to farm ISK and get organized. In fact its likely that a reset would make Goonswarm even more powerful. Its just that it would toss out all the time and money they invested. They'd have more subjective power due to the entire game starting from point zero also, but they'd have less objective power.

The parts of EVE that make for a community full of assholes have nothing to do with persistence. Scams and such are a totally separate issue. I don't care about those either because I possess the basic reasoning skills to not send all my money to a "bank." Shit look at real world banks. Massive regulation and oversight and they still fucked us over.

I see new people here, and on a dozen other gaming websites join and love EVE all the time. So no, its not shitty for everyone but the vets. Its shitty for whiny little children who think they have the capability to get to the top if only everything would start from square one. We have a name for those people. Idiots.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: November 12, 2013, 07:35:50 pm »

resetting the game would kill the own concept of the whole game, its supposed to be a persistent universe, giving a reset to the server would be ilogical. you can make your way to the top in EVE, but dont expect it to be done in some few months, nor even a year i guess, yeah it has the same problems as any other MMO (gold farming, exploits, griefing), but that's inevitable.

yeah new players will always be behind the vets, its supposed to be like that, this is not a wowclone where you can get to top lvl in 2 or 3 weeks. even vets havent leveled all the skills in the game.

i agree that resetting wouldnt kill the economy, in fact, i think it would recover in few weeks, people will be grinding missions be it solo or in groups and making some deals from the ships given in the tutorials, if you know the game you can make several millions at the start if you're quick player. grinding missions would give the meta items needed for at least people using T1, then people would be jumping into more specialized ships, then when people would have up to battleships they would start colonizing low sec/null sec and WHs.

T2 components come from null sec, so that would be the gold rush at the start, people trying to level enough so their corporations/alliances can return to farm moons and anomalies. WH players would start to grind for T3 components. the income would be short of course because there's not enough isk in the market, but after those milestones are reached, EVE's economy would just go up and up in inflation.......as it has been since its launch day.....

it doesnt matter if you reset, people will already know how to play the game, and they'll of course will have an advantage of real skill and knowledge over the noobs.....

Epithemius

• Bay Watcher
  • [AFTERTHOUGHT:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: November 13, 2013, 07:28:29 pm »

Sure, people with high-SP can fly everything, but that's why you have alt accounts, christ. I've been playing for two years, and I can fly a near perfect Moros and any battleship on my main, my other alt is pure cruiser and below, and my other other alt is in a supercarrier. It's all about finding a niche you like and specializing the hell out of it.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: November 13, 2013, 07:56:38 pm »

Goonswarm is organized off site, so even if you reset the world they would already know how to farm ISK and get organized. In fact its likely that a reset would make Goonswarm even more powerful.

This, Goonswarm isnt powerful because they have the most skillpoints between there pilots, they have the largest numbers and very good understanding of the EVE metagame. If they reset the servers, the next day they would be back up to whatever number of players didn't rage quit.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: November 13, 2013, 08:28:51 pm »

The main powers in EVE are outside communities forming in-game. They will rebuild their same numbers immediately and immediately conquer everything again. It's a no-gain situation for CCP. The game will still be too cutthroat for the average player and so not only will they not gain many new players, most of the people who have been working as long as 10 years(!!) to build up their resources will quit.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 210