Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Menu for control of special abilities (formerly How do I shot web?)  (Read 505 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile

THIS IS A SUGGESTION, not a noob question:

Allow adventurers or creatures controlled in arena mode to use breath weapons, spit webs, or other activated special abilities.

This would require a new key assignment, perhaps an ability menu, and a targeting cursor similar to throwing or bow/crossbow.

EDIT: Tried to change thread title
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:02:21 pm by Urist Da Vinci »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: How do I shot web?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 12:04:23 pm »

This is a good suggestion. Although it was presented in a silly manner.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 02:57:34 pm »

Yes, the disclaimer at the start of your suggestion was necessary.

Anyway, it might warrant going into a little more detail to make the suggestion a little more robust - such as describing some sort of menu or interface for selecting a potentially wide variety of special attacks or uncommon abilities in general.  A creature with a heat-producing ability may want to use that ability for non-combat applications, after all.  If we have a fire-producing creature (like one of those fire-producing dwarves from Deon's Genesis Mod), and eventually have a cooking overhaul with dwarves being required to cook their own food, having an ability to control when not to set their food on fire, but be able to set controlled fires to cook their food would be a useful ability.

Of course, with this said, when we start getting in the special combat stances and martial arts and such, I think we will be getting a more robust system for using "special attacks" in general, which would potentially have a place for this sort of function.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 03:09:48 pm »

do you mean like in coq?
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.