Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do I do this...  (Read 2164 times)

ninja137

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I do this...
« on: March 16, 2011, 09:48:19 pm »

Is there a way to embark somewhere, check for an upright spoiler, and then re-embark without a 16x16 embark size? Or any way to check an embark for terrain and then re-embark when you figure out which specific 4x4 is best?

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I do this...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:51:35 pm »

Is there a way to embark somewhere, check for an upright spoiler, and then re-embark without a 16x16 embark size? Or any way to check an embark for terrain and then re-embark when you figure out which specific 4x4 is best?

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Gen the world.

Copy the region to another folder. ("Region 1 - Cheesy Backup")

Go in with your 16x16 embark and find your magic square(s).

Quit.

Delete the now-spoiled folder, copy "Region 1 -Cheesy Backup" to "Region 1".

Restart.

Make the copy before you do the embark though. I forget to do this all the time.

ninja137

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 09:55:02 pm »

Why do you re-copy the folder? Couldnt you just make a copy of a genned world and use that to hunt for spoilers?

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 10:14:39 pm »

Why do you re-copy the folder? Couldnt you just make a copy of a genned world and use that to hunt for spoilers?

Sure. I just find it easier to remember that "Region X" is a playable folder and "X - Copy" is my not-to-be-touched backup.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 04:30:57 am »

I helps if you use DFReveal, and you understand that a region tile is 48x48.  With a bit if vague math, you can reveal the clown car and guesstimate where it is, then re-embark on just that location.  May take another try to line it up perfectly.

Also, wtf Firefox?  You don't have "dwarves" in the dictionary but you have "guesstimate"?

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 06:35:57 am »

Also, wtf Firefox?  You don't have "dwarves" in the dictionary but you have "guesstimate"?

Dictionaries think the plural is "dwarfs" not "dwarves" for some reason.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 07:16:50 am »

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Gen the world.

Copy the region to another folder. ("Region 1 - Cheesy Backup")

Go in with your 16x16 embark and find your magic square(s).

Quit.

Delete the now-spoiled folder, copy "Region 1 -Cheesy Backup" to "Region 1".

Restart.

Make the copy before you do the embark though. I forget to do this all the time.

If anyone can embark on a 16*16 without the game crashing I will be mightily impressed. You will hit the 2GB memory limit with even an 8*8 embark before you ever see the actual map.

The above steps will work but you'll need to use something like 6*6 embarks at the max (so you may as well use 4 4*4 ones to cover the 16*16 area).

I tried this for a week & eventually gave up. See http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77286.0
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 07:23:17 am »

For dwarf, the common form of the plural was dwarfs—as, for example, in Walt Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs—until J. R. R. Tolkien popularized dwarves; he intended the changed spelling to differentiate the "dwarf" fantasy race in his novels from the cuter and simpler beings common in fairy tales, but his usage has since spread. Multiple astronomical dwarf stars and multiple nonmythological short human beings, however, remain dwarfs.

Courtesy of Wikipedia. :)

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 08:42:46 am »

For dwarf, the common form of the plural was dwarfs—as, for example, in Walt Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs—until J. R. R. Tolkien popularized dwarves; he intended the changed spelling to differentiate the "dwarf" fantasy race in his novels from the cuter and simpler beings common in fairy tales, but his usage has since spread. Multiple astronomical dwarf stars and multiple nonmythological short human beings, however, remain dwarfs.

Courtesy of Wikipedia. :)

Our dwarves remain dwarves, for they don't live in pansy aboveground cottages, nor they leave the keys to their mines OUTSIDE the said mine, nor they are stars.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 12:58:20 pm by Urist McGyver »
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 12:57:43 pm »

If anyone can embark on a 16*16 without the game crashing I will be mightily impressed. You will hit the 2GB memory limit with even an 8*8 embark before you ever see the actual map.

I've done it without any problem. Slow as hell, naturally, and I never actually played out the fort - just ran dfreveal to try to find the small embark with the most candy. Which was surprisingly hard to do, because the map is just so frickin big that even checking position takes forever.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 12:59:40 pm »

You don't run the fort, you just leave it paused and look around.  A paused fort has perfect FPS, after all :3

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 01:02:32 pm »

You don't run the fort, you just leave it paused and look around.  A paused fort has perfect FPS, after all :3
And a horrible FPS causes the fort to be paused. Ugh, my head hurts after this paradox...
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 04:40:33 pm »

You can skip the whole copying part of the process if you just kill the process, instead of saving and quitting out. ;)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 04:50:18 pm »

I regularly keep task manager open (the ctrl alt del window) so I can kill it quick.  DF sadly has the X button locked, but it's easy enough to task-manage it to death.  If you kill the program without actually saving, then it doesn't save at all and it won't count your embark, unless you have "save on embark" enabled.

Either way, I keep a copy of the world anyways, so I can peek in legends and see if there's a female minotaur out there to match my captured male :3

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 08:51:52 pm »

Yep, I used the task manager to kill it as well.  You don't even need to use dfreveal.  Just use the stocks menu and zoom to that particular item and you'll get a good idea of where it is.  Then kill the process and re-embark with a normal area.
Pages: [1] 2