Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: It is now illegal to be homeless or to feed the homeless in the UK  (Read 13858 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: It is now illegal to be homeless or to feed the homeless in the UK
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2011, 11:58:03 pm »

It's kind of funny, since I'm making so little money that I'd have to live on the street if I were suddenly kicked out of my house.  I wonder if living in my car would be considered "homelessness", though.  It's not technically a "home", but I'd sure save on commuting to work!

In either case, I'm glad I live in America.  Dang English and their incredibly awesome accents...
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2011, 11:59:35 pm »

IIRC, they don't have a specific document called their constitution.  The "constitution" is a collection of documents that slowly evolved the government, such as the Magna Carta and so on.

Yeah, I don't think there is any avenue for finding a law unconstitutional in that framework.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2011, 12:06:06 am »

It does, however, allow people to adjust the law as they go, rather then people trying to claim that guns are a right based on the fact that a very old document says that the local militia is allowed to arm itself.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2011, 12:09:28 am »

They do in fact have at least one Constitution in their law archives; the problem is, it's for Australia- there are probably some for other nations as well.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2011, 12:09:54 am »

Oh my homeland... What has become of you? Quick question, is it illegal to be homeless in other EU countries like South Ireland and France?
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2011, 12:12:51 am »

I'm ashamed to be partially related to England. *Sigh* I just can't explain this level of stupidity.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2011, 12:49:48 am »

It would be kind of nice if someone interpreted this law to mean that since they outlaw anyone volunteering to provide social services, that the government must now take over and serve in that role in a more complete way. This includes having to be paying for it.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2011, 12:59:24 am »

Private Prison Economies are getting the green light in the UK?  You know, what will soon be the influx of homeless people getting new homes involuntarily.  All paid by taxpayers for private profit.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2011, 01:08:28 am »

It does, however, allow people to adjust the law as they go, rather then people trying to claim that guns are a right based on the fact that a very old document says that the local militia is allowed to arm itself.

The word militia has changed over time. Its meaning at the time of the framing of the US constitution was basically every white adult male (everyone they wrote the constitution for) rather than a formal military organization. The right to bear arms really is in the constitution. Note: I am pretty radically liberal, and yes I strongly believe that the 2nd amendment and the right to bear arms are extremely important. Just as much as I do the the rest of the bill of rights and constitution. Tyrants for ages have forbidden owning weapons to prevent the weak from having the capacity to stand up for themselves.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 01:12:14 am by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2011, 03:30:54 am »

As if I didn't have enough reasons to despair about British politics right now.

Also, isn't this another one of those blatant "we don't give a damn about the European Court's Law of Human Rights!" laws again, is it?
This won't be a problem if the Conservative party get their way.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2011, 03:35:51 am »

Admittedly I haven't read the entire thread, but has it been pointed out yet that this is a policy limited to certain areas of London, not the whole UK, and is designed to encourage the homeless to get back on their feet rather than rely on handouts and shitting in public parks for the rest of their lives?

I'm a sucker as much as anyone for sensationalist headlines, but I occasionally prefer to be a little more informed than what the papers would like my knee-jerk reaction to be.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 03:37:27 am by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2011, 04:04:26 am »

encourage the homeless to get back on their feet rather than rely on handouts and shitting in public parks for the rest of their lives

By fining or imprisonment?
Now, I know I haven't finished my social economics training, but I fail to see how this would work.

As someone mentioned earlier, it is most likely an attempt by the gov' to get such reminders that they aren't exactly doing a stellar job with the country out of their sight, and out of the tourists' as well.
It makes little other sense outside a rather inhumane marketing campaign.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2011, 04:12:30 am »

According to the article, which obviously takes a rather apocalyptic, indignant view, the new government is going to eradicate most of the systems helping homeless people recover, which will lead to a lot more of them, which is why the local government is trying to get ahead of the curve by getting rid of them now.

Dunno how much of that is true.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2011, 04:21:36 am »

Why would they need to see the homeless, they have the statistics after all?

When I was much younger I lived in the city of Bath. The police would wake and force any homeless people sleeping in the centre to "move on". I was told this was to improve the experience for tourists. There are and were places for homeless people to get food.

If being homeless itself wasn't enough motivation to get busy and fix their lives I somehow doubt making them into criminals will help.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2011, 04:29:53 am »

I refuse to believe this. I don't like Mister Cameron, but he's not that stupid.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13