Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Excess of Bones  (Read 3317 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Excess of Bones
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2011, 04:08:19 pm »

I didn't get why bone armor and helmets are so useful. For civilians, they can be worn as clothes? And for military, how come they prevent tantrum spirals?  ???
Ever seen a tantrum spiral in action?  I happens because one dwarf gets upset, and in his rage, he picks a fight with someone else.  Normally fine, he'll bruise an arm or maybe MAYBE knock out a tooth, but then suddenly punch Urist McUnfortunate in the head, breaking the skull and jamming the skull through the brain!  To prevent this, you can assign all your dwarves to a squad, and assign that squad a uniform to be just a helmet.  Then, when a tantrum spiral hits, Urist McOverlySensitive will punch Urist McBystandard in the head, but the blow is deflected by the -Goblin Bone Helmet-!  Then Urist McOverlySensitive goes to jail or gets a beat (btw, his own helmet will help the beating be less lethal) and Urist McBystandard goes on about his business as usual.  Thus, spiral avoided.

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2011, 09:26:57 pm »

I didn't get why bone armor and helmets are so useful. For civilians, they can be worn as clothes? And for military, how come they prevent tantrum spirals?  ???
Ever seen a tantrum spiral in action?  I happens because one dwarf gets upset, and in his rage, he picks a fight with someone else.  Normally fine, he'll bruise an arm or maybe MAYBE knock out a tooth, but then suddenly punch Urist McUnfortunate in the head, breaking the skull and jamming the skull through the brain!  To prevent this, you can assign all your dwarves to a squad, and assign that squad a uniform to be just a helmet.  Then, when a tantrum spiral hits, Urist McOverlySensitive will punch Urist McBystandard in the head, but the blow is deflected by the -Goblin Bone Helmet-!  Then Urist McOverlySensitive goes to jail or gets a beat (btw, his own helmet will help the beating be less lethal) and Urist McBystandard goes on about his business as usual.  Thus, spiral avoided.

Not to !!spoil!! anyone's !!fun!!, but this hypothesis necessitates a !!+double blind study+!!.
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2011, 02:26:39 am »

why is the double blind study on fire?
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2011, 02:37:14 am »

Because the experimenter didn't like having her eyes put out and took it out on the control group, and things snowballed from there.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2011, 03:34:20 am »

...i...i never actually thought of that...can ALL bones be made into helms? >.> i could see making more then just helmets out of bone for my civvies...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2011, 03:40:59 am »

Helmets, greaves, gauntlets, crossbows, and bolts.  That's your combat-related bone things.  Bone is lightweight and stronger than copper, and my bone bolts will break through bronze breastplates and iron helms.  There's probably an easy way to add bone breastplates and boots and such, I think it's the [BARED] token but I'm too lazy to test, and too addicted to steel helmets.  I'm hoping once economy kicks in, peasants will try to wear helmets at all times, so I can just produce some helms and let them get distributed without squads.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2011, 03:51:22 am »

lol somethin im having trouble with, is remembering how many pieces of armor i've already made -.-;; i have 20 melee guys, and 5 marksdwarves, the melee are set to use metal, and the marksdwarves are set to use leather -.-;; its entirely possible that i've made like thirty steel shields at this point, which isnt terrible if i add another group of melee guys, but its still bloody annoying

im planning on waiting for a siege of goblins to show up and set all my civvies to get into my burrow in my kitchen, and my militia to get into my burrow just below my massive ammount of cage traps and throwing them into the underground, see how they fare against the mite fb, leech fb, 5 trogs and 4 crundles down there >.>
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 03:53:22 am by Renzuko »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2011, 03:54:28 am »

Use the stocks screen?  Or a stockpile set to take a specific armor but no bins?  When counting out things, it sometimes helps to make a stockpile of shields, and then make shields until some get stocked.  If none are in the pile, then soldiers must be carrying them.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2011, 04:42:45 am »

Use the stocks screen?  Or a stockpile set to take a specific armor but no bins?  When counting out things, it sometimes helps to make a stockpile of shields, and then make shields until some get stocked.  If none are in the pile, then soldiers must be carrying them.

Genius.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2011, 05:49:08 am »

So on the topic of giving your civvies bone armour. We need to get on this, just because it'd be so COOL for all your dwarves to be clad in the bones of their slain enemies (except the millitary), for such silly reasons as "keeping my feet clean" and "preventing getting tapped in the head by a berserking fish soaper or wha'ever".

"Aye, this? Goblin bone boots. Snazzy, innit?"

Anyway. Somebody should figure out the tags that would let us make a full bone armour set. And shields, if that's not possible yet.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2011, 08:32:01 am »

yeah it probly be best for me to separate up my armor stockpiles...

again unrelated to bones, god knows why, but my people keep putting raw fish and prepared meals in my armor stockpile in my barracks...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2011, 08:33:45 am »

Is it a custom stockpile that still has some food items remaining?

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2011, 12:24:46 pm »

again unrelated to bones, god knows why, but my people keep putting raw fish and prepared meals in my armor stockpile in my barracks...

That's from the military food bug - your military is set to carry food, but the bug makes them drop it instead of eat it, then they go and pick up more food. Once they drop it, it's claimed (like the socks and clothing in your barracks) and won't be hauled by other dwarves, but the owner will never pick it up again until it rots away.

I usually set my squads to Carry no food due to this, but someone else said it only affected miners/woodcutters in the military (which I haven't tested).

Back on topic - I'm using the Wanderer's friend mod, and it has craftable bone breastplates to round out your bone armor set (and usable scales and feathers (from Tanmod), so you can have that snazzy Giant Eagle feather cloak and alligator scale trousers to round it out).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:28:48 pm by Langdon »

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2011, 02:50:40 pm »

yeah it probly be best for me to separate up my armor stockpiles...

"That new cook's not too good yet. He fergot ta put the yeast in his last batch of bread, so it's hard as a rock. Urist McGlutton broke his right front tooth on it. It flew in a nice arc! Anyway, we're findin' that they make mighty good shields, though. Might as well store 'em with the armor, I guess."

As for the fish, I'm not so sure about that. I could see them being in a weapons stockpile, if they were swordfish.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2011, 03:30:48 pm »

Is it a custom stockpile that still has some food items remaining?

nope, it was one where i just hit armor, didnt edit it, course i removed it now and made a floor 2 lvl's below my armor stockpile...got plenty of steel shields there, but there is several militia men who dont have shields...i'll have to check to see if they have both arms >.>
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4