Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Excess of Bones  (Read 3324 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Excess of Bones
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 11:51:10 pm »

There is no overkill. There is only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 12:50:41 am »

Last time I tried to make bone armor, the bonecrafter took something like six stacks of bones (each containing a minimum of six bones; I'm pretty sure a couple had fourteen) into the workshop. I don't rightly recall whether or not he used all of them, but I DO remember a 'decorate with bone' order consuming an entire stack for a single decoration. That should go through them pretty fast, in theory.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

spook54321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 02:34:47 am »

Bone armor often requires multiple bones, but Urist Bonemaster is unable to disassemble a stack to retrieve said bones.
As such a piece of armor that requires x bones will necessitate x stacks and will only use one bone from each stack.
It's the same reason why sharks don't attack lawyers, professional courtesy.

This (small) sig of mine

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 09:04:13 am »

If you think you have a great enough rate of fire, you don't have enough.

NEVER ENUFF DAKKA!

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 09:25:13 am »

If you're having surplus ammo year after year, trade it.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 09:27:28 am »

If you're having surplus ammo year after year, trade it make more marksdwarves.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 09:57:11 am »

Alternatively, bone armour for everyone that's not in the millitary (well, they'll be in squads, just not -active- in the millitary sense). Prevents them from getting grumpy about being clad only in a beard and a frown, and it also keeps them from getting, say, footrot from spilled FB extract.

Alternatively, cover your map in weapon traps with bone spears and shit in them.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 10:21:43 am »

No such thing as bone spears, at least not in vanilla.

Bone helmets for everyone.  Best cure for a tantrum spiral is to put everyone in a squad that does nothing, but assign them all a bone helm.  No more skull bashings!

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 01:54:17 pm »

Alternatively, bone armour for everyone that's not in the millitary (well, they'll be in squads, just not -active- in the millitary sense). Prevents them from getting grumpy about being clad only in a beard and a frown, and it also keeps them from getting, say, footrot from spilled FB extract.

This. I'd rather not slow down my civilians with full metal armour they may never need, but something durable and light that offers some protection is welcome. Bone is excellent here for anything you can make out of it... shame there are no bone/horn breastplates.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 01:59:55 pm »

I would also like to see bone lamellar breastplates and bone greaves.

Hell, a dragon/hydra/megabeast/demon bone armor is even more dwarfy than adamantine.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 02:01:15 pm »

I've been trying to figure out what you need to mod to add bone breastplates and such, because it should be simple to add a token and make it possible...  Granted, I only want them so I can have my soldiers decked in Elf Bone armor while slaying Elves.

Actually, dragon bone armor will serve you as well as llama bone armor, because it's the same material.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 02:06:41 pm »

I didn't get why bone armor and helmets are so useful. For civilians, they can be worn as clothes? And for military, how come they prevent tantrum spirals?  ???
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 02:07:07 pm »

Bone sucks as a base material for armor. Make your armor steel, but then decorate it with the bones of all of your slain enemies.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 02:11:48 pm »

I've been trying to figure out what you need to mod to add bone breastplates and such, because it should be simple to add a token and make it possible...  Granted, I only want them so I can have my soldiers decked in Elf Bone armor while slaying Elves.

Actually, dragon bone armor will serve you as well as llama bone armor, because it's the same material.
While true that it will deflect blows and prevent damage just as well, I wouldn't say it would serve just as well. Because it sounds a lot more intimidating and awesome to talk about your armies clad in the skulls of dragons, than to talk about your armies dressed in horse rib armor.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 02:17:30 pm »

...Actually, dragon bone armor will serve you as well as llama bone armor, because it's the same material.

Actually, dragon bone items have a high value, aren't damaged by heat or cold or fire, and have a very high specific heat (which may thermally protect the wearer). The same also applies for fire imp leather and bone items. If a dwarf falls into magma wearing a dragon bone helmet and fire imp leather armor, the only things left behind will be the helmet and armor.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4