Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Excess of Bones  (Read 3320 times)

MatterStorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Excess of Bones
« on: March 16, 2011, 06:50:44 pm »

After killing every last troglodyte and crundle on the map, I have acquired tons and tons of bones and bodies with which to make more bones. I have already made all the bone bolts I'll ever need, have my bone carver at legendary from a mood, and will most likely not need the bones for crafts any time soon.
So, what should I do with my bones? Make armor? Is bone armor actually effective? Even if it is, I'm currently making enough steel armor for my whole military, so it shouldn't matter then. Is there anything else to do with this mass of bones?

I am slightly new btw.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Excess of Bones
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 06:55:31 pm »

Bolts and crossbows, and activate hunting for your whole civilian populace or spam crossbow weapon traps.

The1stlogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 06:58:51 pm »

I like to decorate things with bone.

And lots of bolts, lots and lots of bolts. You'll be glad for that legendary bone carver, because that means very high level decorations and bolts.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 06:59:04 pm »

Bone/shell is better than leather and wood without being any heavier. If you are short on goblinite, then bone armor is a good substitute.

MatterStorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 06:59:48 pm »

Bolts and crossbows, and activate hunting for your whole civilian populace or spam crossbow weapon traps.
Oooh, crossbow weapon traps. I'll try that.

MatterStorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 07:01:44 pm »

I like to decorate things with bone.

And lots of bolts, lots and lots of bolts. You'll be glad for that legendary bone carver, because that means very high level decorations and bolts.
I don't really need bone armor atm, so bone decorations and crossbow traps it is.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 07:05:09 pm »

I decorate everything with everything.

Masterworks only. Unless its a bin, barrel, or expendable item like ammo it must be masterwork. If its not it goes into the magma chute or is sent back to the smelter for recycling.

This results in dwarves wearing suits of masterwork steel armor with each piece of armor being decorated with as much detail as Planepacked.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 07:05:56 pm »

Ooh, bone decorations. Why didn't I thought about this ?

I also am in an excess of bone, and bone decorations are dwarfier than wood or cloth or even leather.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 07:43:14 pm »

When you breach down there, crossbows for EVERYONE.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 09:16:00 pm »

I have already made all the bone bolts I'll ever need...

No you haven't.

One squad of 10 marksdwarves can easily blow through 2000, 3000 bolts in a year of training.

MatterStorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 09:44:28 pm »

No you haven't.

One squad of 10 marksdwarves can easily blow through 2000, 3000 bolts in a year of training.
Let me rephrase that:
"I currently have enough bone bolts for the next year (approximately) or so with my current military, and will still have an excess of bones when I am making more for the next year"

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 09:49:07 pm »

Let me rephrase that:
"I currently have enough bone bolts for the next year (approximately) or so with my current military, and will still have an excess of bones when I am making more for the next year"

Then you need more bonecarvers!!! :)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 10:00:23 pm »

In 40d, a stack of bones will be used all at once, so it was only good to make bolts from bones. A stack of 10 bones would give you one crossbow, or [50] bolts.

In 31.xx (at least in 31.21), a stack will be used bone-by-bone, so a stack of 10 bolts will make 10 crossbows, or 10 stacks of [5] bolts. I recommend that you use bone to make crafts, crossbows, or bone armor. Use wood instead to make training bolts, as each stack is [25] from a single log.

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 10:02:48 pm »

The time will come when you will have too many of everything. Your dwarves will live confused and desolate lives, perpetually adrift amid the soft crags of mountain ranges comprised solely of masterwork socks. The elven traders will crumple beneath the weight of your gem-encrusted, platinum studded figurines of their ancestors' brutal slayings. You will bury treasures that would make adventurers weep for joy beneath seas of magma, just to never have to see them in the 'Stocks' screen ever again.

And you will long for the days of 'too many bones'.

Seriously, though, decorate everything and save a few stacks for strange moods.
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

The13thClam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 10:05:55 pm »

No you haven't.

Let me rephrase that:

There is no such thing as enough ammunition.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4