Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Slavery  (Read 4061 times)

KCFOS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slavery
« on: March 16, 2011, 05:37:57 pm »

Dwarf fortress needs a use for the copious amounts of "Caged Prisoners" that we receive from sieges and other methods. So I thought, "What about forcing them into slavery? After all, it's in the title".

Slaves would behave similar to a normal dwarf except for a few key differences. For one thing they would only do work if their mood was kept above unhappy, a very unhappy slave would attempt to run away unless it is confronted by a military unit, a miserable slave would act just as a hostile unit, fighting anything it comes across. Slaves would be considered the same as any other trade good, and could be bought and sold at caravans, the price depending on how skilled the slave is.

Tell me what you guy's think.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Slavery
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 05:41:17 pm »

Hmm.

I think you should torture them if they are unhappy, then they can work while unhappy. If they work sloppily, you should be able to whip them.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 05:43:30 pm »

I can imagine it now.......
Lines upon lines of gobbos, from children to elders, each holding crude picks, mining and mining for adamant, the first line of defense and sacrifice for the demons!

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 06:05:52 pm »

Sounds great.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 07:38:24 pm »

It's worth noting that despite what the forum culture would have you believe, slavery is a capital crime in dwarven society in DF.
This suggestion might have to wait until we're playing as other races.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 08:04:57 pm »

Well, by modding the raws you can make it acceptable.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 08:18:04 pm »

It's worth noting that despite what the forum culture would have you believe, slavery is a capital crime in dwarven society in DF.
This suggestion might have to wait until we're playing as other races.

Absolutely, slavery is an abomination for dwarves.

Humans  and goblins, however...

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 08:55:25 pm »

Dwarves don't have slavery, if toady wanted slavery he would not have made the only civ you can play in vanilla to hate it.

Well, by modding the raws you can make it acceptable.

I just modded in a seven headed elephant that spit webs and was made of adamantine, but it won't be appearing in the vanilla anytime soon.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 01:04:09 am »

But other races aren't dwarves, so they shouldn't count.

Slaves should be able to do whatever a dwarf can do, except they will never create quality items, they'll all be no quality.

Slave revolutions would happen as well.  Most slaves, maybe only of one race, would rise up and try to overthrow the dwarves.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 01:12:37 am »

Dwarf fortress needs a use for the copious amounts of "Caged Prisoners" that we receive from sieges and other methods. So I thought, "What about forcing them into slavery? After all, it's in the title".

From /raw/objects/entity_default.txt

[ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]
   [CIV_CONTROLLABLE]
   [CREATURE:DWARF]
   [ETHIC:SLAVERY:PUNISH_CAPITAL]

(Dwarves don't do that.)
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

anon_outlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 03:20:11 am »

may i just point out to everyone there is indeed a ethic for slavery? if toady wanted none of it then there just plain out wouldn't be. also as civs get more and more unique whats to say there wont be rouge civs with chain gang gobbos digging through the earth?
Has anyone attempted to use a loyalty cascade to play a hermit fortress?

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 07:35:12 am »

I think each race will have a set variable for what they would ever allow, and I doubt dwarves would have slaves, or even other races living with them.  There xenophobic after all.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 08:49:11 am »

Well, when other races siege you it would be interesting if they brought slaves.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 09:47:27 pm »

If a single captain came to siege your fort with 14 slaves, the slaves would uprise and kill the captain then flee into the wilds, or to your fort if dwarven, slaves could work in camps as cooks and repair gear or what not though, when that's implemented that is.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 10:25:58 pm »

If a single captain came to siege your fort with 14 slaves, the slaves would uprise and kill the captain then flee into the wilds, or to your fort if dwarven, slaves could work in camps as cooks and repair gear or what not though, when that's implemented that is.

No, I was just thinking the slaves would be cannon fodder, and the more experienced troops could move in after the slaves weaken the enemy.
Pages: [1] 2 3