Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Tell me about game translations in your country  (Read 2802 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Tell me about game translations in your country
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2011, 08:15:17 am »

Laïque?

It gets used whenever ai is supposed to be pronounced "aye"instead of"eh"

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2011, 08:27:33 am »

All the games that are translated to my language are done so in Spain. I hate them because everyone sounds like Puss in Boots.

There also seems to be a Spanish fan translation community, though I can't judge how big or lively it is.

Nobody really talked about the amateur scene much yet.  I hear there's a bunch of folks who translate the Touhou games for free, and there are some folks that translate games that aren't going to be translated.  There also used to be a whole bunch of folks that would translate ROMS of stuff like Final Fantasy 2,3 and 5 before Squaresoft realized that English speakers might like those games too.   And last I heard (like a year ago) Mother 3 is in the process of being translated to English. 

Apparently, the fan translation of Mother 3 has been finished, and they even have a nifty page. The Japanese to English fan scene is quite fascinating and I'll need to read a bit more on it.

Are there fan translations of Japanese games in non-English countries? I mean directly from Japanese. AFAIK, in non-English countries, Japanese games get translated from their English versions.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2011, 11:57:20 am »

Man, what? Three pages of this and no one links one of the largest fan translation sites around?

As to the fantrans from moonspeak directly into non-English, it happens, but I'm not entirely sure how often. There's definitely some examples of that on romhacking; I've noticed to spanish and russian, as well as a few others, but I don't speak anything besides english to any extent, so I don't look into it any deeper than noticing the front page news post and going, "Neat."

But yeah. Fan translation's pretty lively, if usually working on stuff that's not quite recent.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

raalph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2011, 05:54:24 pm »

No portuguese games translations, only old shit :(

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2011, 07:20:01 pm »

No portuguese games translations, only old [and new] shit ;D

In all seriousness, most fan translation stuff does involve games a few (or many) years old. Localization isn't something that's done quickly by professional teams with access to developer tools and assistance, much less informally organized groups working with scratch built programs. That there's any recent games getting translated without the bankroll of a commercial developer behind them is bloody impressive.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 2 [3]