Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My rant on modern video games.  (Read 907 times)

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My rant on modern video games.
« on: March 16, 2011, 03:33:53 pm »

First off, a note. I apologize if this is incoherent, but it felt good to write it. I would also like to say that a lot of what I said in here is probably not true, but please do not contradict me on it because I wrote most of this from opinion and personal experience. I also do not think this thread belongs in this board, but I had to get this out. Thank you.

What is it with modern video games? It seems like every time a company publishes a successful new series, they just milk money out of it until everyone hates it. For a sequel, they take the same game mechanics, add two new features at most, fix a couple bugs, create a couple new maps, and then bang, you've got a new game. All new sequels should not be considered games, merely large expansion packs. And yet, people still seem to buy them.

Also, it seems that companies are catering to less and less sophisticated gamers. Quality storylines have, for the most part, gone out the window. If modern day gamers can't blow sh*t up in the first five minutes of the game, then it instantly sucks in their eyes. Which takes me to my next topic- graphics. There are probably hundreds of games out there with "bad" graphics (like Dwarf Fortress), and they never get widely recognized because modern day games have to have good graphics.

To summarize, modern games are mostly mass-produced crap. Storylines have deteriorated to blurs of explosions and gunfire, and sequels are not sequels at all but more like new areas to run around in and do the same thing you did in the last game. Amazing graphics are a requirement, or a game is never recognized. These companies have so many employees that they can pump out game after game with exactly the same basic mechanic in a few months (for example, the COD series. Let's see, about three games in a year or two?).
*insert witty signature here*

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
Re: My rant on modern video games.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 03:37:54 pm »

I see your argument and I raise you a Touhou.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 03:39:01 pm »

I see that and raise you all those indie games I have on my HDD :D

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 03:40:26 pm »

Remarkably similar to the last modern games rant we had here.

Anyway, I doubt the OP has even heard of Touhou, since it's not mainstream US/EU stuff. While it's true, graphics and repetitive gameplay seem to be popular these days, there's some goodies out there. And if nothing else, we still have older games to tide us over.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 03:42:30 pm »

People please stop these damned modern video game rant threads, we've had so many I can hardly differentiate between them.
Hello Hunam

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 03:44:03 pm »

To be fair, if we wanted a storyline we could read a book. ;)

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 03:47:18 pm »

"You come to us, in our forum, and complain about modern video games?"

You get kicked into the pit as I yell:

"THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS!"
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 03:49:45 pm »

Dammit, what did I say about contradicting me? Ah, I suppose this is what I get for starting another one of these.

Anyway, as I said, this is based on personal experience and opinion. Most of it is probably wrong. Oh, and if it changes anything, I wrote this after seeing that MW3 is already being worked on.

And also, I believe Dwarf Fortress was mentioned somewhere in that slop of opinion I wrote.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 03:50:28 pm »

Did not we have this thread last week already?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 03:51:59 pm »

My first thought on seeing this thread:
Who the hell necro'ed that thread?

My first thought on seeing the OP:
Did he copy/paste that from the other thread?

these ARE a bit samey
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 03:52:34 pm »

Did not we have this thread last week already?

Last week, the week before that, every thread where Spore/Call of Duty/etc. can be mentioned, every thread Ioric posted in,
Shoes...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 03:52:51 pm »

People please stop these damned modern video game rant threads, we've had so many I can hardly differentiate between them.

I want to rant about video game rants. They're all unoriginal rehashes of the same material! Nobody puts the craftsmanship into them that they had years ago, when say...Derek Smart would write a 20-page essay on why Battlecruiser 3000 was the greatest thing since the invention of the microcomputer, and how all other games were but pale reflections of its shadow. There's no poetry in the modern rants, just the quick gratification of a drive-by "THESE NEW GAMES ARE TEH SUCK".

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 03:52:51 pm »

Replace D&D with modern games.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 03:53:27 pm »

Oh fucking hell. Is it that hard to use the thread a week old? Or at least post it in the GAMES section?

Anyways, gonna go ahead and finish this thread. Time heals all wounds. This same stuff happened for the NES, and will happen for the PS97.

Now. Lock this thread. There is a button at the bottom of the page, above the jump to bar. These things should stay in your notepad, not on the forums.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 03:55:05 pm »

Yeah, I seem to have pissed everyone off.

I'm just gonna let this die now.