Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 125

Author Topic: Fiefdoms @ War: Turn 15  (Read 127687 times)

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fiefdoms @ War: Turn 6
« Reply #930 on: March 28, 2011, 07:49:10 am »

Note to you know, insult your fine race and its fine warrior tradition, but that whole spearman rush thing isn't precisely going over well for you.

Also Iituem, I am intrigued about this Loyalty mechanic, and wish to know more!
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: March 28, 2011, 07:51:14 am »

I'll let you research a race-specific tech in the future if you want; "Klackon Soldier Drones".  Will tie in with a new special; 'Shock'.  Units with 'shock' are the opposite of support units, they will always attack first even if there is a stronger unit available.  They will usually be very cheap to build and support, but probably be weaker than spearmen.

Yeah, let's hope I manage to conquer some valauble territories so that I can actually spare money for research. I have some ideas for race specific technology.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: March 28, 2011, 08:00:18 am »

Note to you know, insult your fine race and its fine warrior tradition, but that whole spearman rush thing isn't precisely going over well for you.

Also Iituem, I am intrigued about this Loyalty mechanic, and wish to know more!

It might have worked better if the opposing army wasn't employing the exact same strategy and had a larger army and defensive fortifications.  Zerg rushes should, after all, be a viable strategy but not the only viable strategy (which was the earlier problem).

I'll do a full update on the mechanical changes sometime within the next hour, as I'll be rebalancing forges and smithies as well.  They're currently too weak.  I may also boost Heroes, as I'm not sure they're currently worth it.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: March 28, 2011, 08:03:05 am »

Turn 7
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: March 28, 2011, 09:54:44 am »

Quote from: New and Altered Mechanics
Loyalty

Loyalty is a new 'hidden' stat for territories.  A new neutral territory will generally have a Loyalty of 0.  Loyalty may be raised, primarily through constructing different buildings; religious and cultural buildings (entertainment buildings, essentially) will raise Loyalty in a region.  Having a state religion will also raise Loyalty in a region.  Loyalty has two main effects:

Upkeep Reduction:  Happier, or at least more loyal citizens are willing to work for less out of a sense of patriotism.  Every point of loyalty decreases upkeep for buildings and units in that region by a certain percentage.  Negative loyalty will increase upkeep accordingly.

Subversion Resistance:  Certain units such as diplomats will gain the ability to sabotage or convert units or regions over to their side (requires research).  High loyalty decreases the chances of success.  Negative loyalty increases it.

Loyalty can be lowered through outside intervention.  Units such as diplomats can lower loyalty by inciting rebellion amongst the populace.  Being raided by neutral troops or rival troops who do not conquer the region will also lower loyalty.

Newly captured regions have their base loyalty set back to 0, after which bonuses from buildings etc will be re-applied.  There is a 50% chance per building for cultural or religious buildings that they will be destroyed if the region is captured by military force.  Subverted or traded regions will suffer no such risk.

Raiding

It is now a valid option to raid territories without conquering them.  If you do not particularly care to own and have to defend more territory, you can send troops to raid a neighbouring territory instead.  Provided you defeat any defenders, or if the territory is undefended, your troops will retreat back to the territory they attacked from and you will steal the entire turn's income from the raided territory.  Raiding will also lower the loyalty of the region.

Retreat

There is now a 20% chance that wounded troops on the losing side of a battle will retreat to a neighbouring friendly territory.  The retreat chance is higher for flying units and cavalry.  If the nearest friendly territory is not adjacent, but there is a clear path and the unit has sufficient move left to reach it, the unit will also retreat to that territory.  If there are no friendly territories nearby, the units cannot retreat.  There is also a 5% chance per wounded unit that the victors will capture them intact for their own army.

Caveat:  This applies to neutral territories as well, so beware of neutral troops retreating to other regions.

Masking

A slight change to the 'masking' rule for moving through one hostile territory to attack another.  To mask the advance of an army, you need only supply the same number of troops in the masking attack as there are defenders, and the masking effort succeeds whether or not they win the battle.  In other words, it is perfectly valid to send three units of expendable shock troops to 'tie up' the three elite marksmen in the castle in Territory A whilst the rest of the army goes on to Territory B, even though it is almost certain the shock troops will all die.

Forges & Smithies

Forges and Smithies have been rebalanced according to a new equation.  Both are now cheaper to construct and give much higher returns, but their returns are based off the basic economy of a territory.  They may give substandard returns until economies are improved to a certain point.

Forge:  £400.  Requires mines.  Generates an industry bonus of 32% over basic income per turn.  Stacks with but does not multiply with any other industry bonuses.  Tech: Metalworking I (Public)  If main industry is mining, does not take up an industry slot.

Smithy:  £600.  Requires and replaces forge.  Increases bonus to basic income from +32% to +50%.  Bonus increases by a further +4% for each of the following resources it has access to; Iron, Coal.  Bonus increases by a further +6% for the following resources it has access to; Copper, Silver, Gold.  Tech:  Metalworking II.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: March 28, 2011, 10:42:19 am »

Nice. Can loyalty also increase over time?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: March 28, 2011, 10:50:46 am »

I'm going to say no because I would have to track it for every territory, including eventually all 150 or so territories on the map (there's between 100-150, I think).  You should be able to increase it in other ways.  Concepts I've had include nationalist superprojects, obelisks and other 'cultural' buildings (obelisk would raise loyalty after a flat fee, something like theatres would raise it but require upkeep), and national policies that could be researched.  'Martial Law' appealed to me; a policy you could institute to flat-out raise loyalty for all territories, but would cost you a flat upkeep amount per territory as well (suppressing the population avoids rebellion, but it does repress economic freedom substantially).

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: March 28, 2011, 10:56:19 am »

Its basically hapinness from the total war games correct ?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: March 28, 2011, 10:58:27 am »

Never played them, but I draw a lot of inspiration from the Civilisation games.  4X games share a lot of ground anyway, so there's always some overlap.  I might have designed this game differently from the ground up, but it's important to remember that what I'm mostly doing is working from an existing model and changing it.  Eventually, I may change it beyond recognition, but there will still be the original starting point.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: March 28, 2011, 11:00:38 am »

The forges seem slightly over powered to me, soon in some areas they will have a bigger impact then palaces.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: March 28, 2011, 11:05:54 am »

Never played them, but I draw a lot of inspiration from the Civilisation games.  4X games share a lot of ground anyway, so there's always some overlap.  I might have designed this game differently from the ground up, but it's important to remember that what I'm mostly doing is working from an existing model and changing it.  Eventually, I may change it beyond recognition, but there will still be the original starting point.

Ya once we are done with this round you might be able to make a game out of this.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: March 28, 2011, 11:07:53 am »

The forges seem slightly over powered to me, soon in some areas they will have a bigger impact then palaces.
QUIET YOU!
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: March 28, 2011, 11:08:15 am »

Spoiler: Turn 7 (click to show/hide)

Lord Harticus,
I am very sorry to hear about the attacks on your peoples by the abominations that reside in West Sordell. It has long been known that the Elves of Sordell were of no honour, but we believed that even they would not stoop to such levels. Do not let them fear however, my forces will soon erase these atrocities from the surface of this beautiful planet.
Lady Alexia

fakedit:
QUIET YOU!
Indeed. Hush.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: March 28, 2011, 11:09:41 am »

Question: Would my spearmen in storm west be able to attack astrid west?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: March 28, 2011, 11:11:06 am »

Lady Alexia,

Thank you for your concern, and for the annihalation of these evil creatures. If you need hlep we would be glad to send it all though we would need some time all my forces are occupied elsewhere and I need to time to expand my army.

Harticus
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 125