Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 125

Author Topic: Fiefdoms @ War: Turn 15  (Read 127504 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fiefdoms @ War: Turn 4
« Reply #765 on: March 24, 2011, 09:19:22 pm »

Right, so a technical question that has a fluff answer, I figured that I should ask it here.

When was the spell of mastery actually cast? Because, I have heard 1000 years, but the empire was made five hundred years ago. So... Did it take 500 years for the wizard to take the world?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: March 24, 2011, 09:26:58 pm »

Ah, my mistake on making that not clear enough.  I will answer in the form of a timeline.

~60-1 BC (Before Conquest): A number of powerful wizards seize control of different kingdoms such as Foul and Storm, using their prowess with magic and leadership to lead wars of unification with the whole world.  These continue in one form or another for the better part of half a century.

~15 BC:  One empire continues to gain stronger and stronger hold over the central continent.

1AD (Year of Dominion):  The Spell of Mastery is cast by the Master Wizard.  All record of the Master Wizard's name has been erased, in part by him and in part by his detractors (following his death).  The Master Wizard gains control over all magic in Arcanus.  He banishes all his rivals, all the summoned creatures not under his control, slaughters all undead not under his control and rains fire and destruction down on his few remaining enemies.

10AD:  The last pockets of real resistance have been crushed.  The Arcanan Empire now nominally controls the world.  Stagnation begins.

~500AD:  The Master Wizard dies from unknown causes, despite having extended his life long beyond the normal human lifespan.  His body is displayed publicly then interred in a mausoleum beneath Capitol.  It is never seen again.  The Arcanan Empire becomes the Old Empire and starts to crumble.  Magic is still impossible, and only those fantastic creatures that escaped banishment during the MW's reign survive.  Most retreat into hiding.

500-1000AD:  The world crumbles and stagnates.  The Old Empire pulls back into itself.  The outer territory continue to decay from infighting and corruption.

1000AD:  The Spell of Mastery breaks, perhaps simply expiring from time.  Magic returns to the world.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: March 24, 2011, 09:30:53 pm »

Alright perfect.

Now, I got a question. Obviously, the undead in my story just deanimate When the spell of mastery is cast. But when it breaks, is their that small chance that some of their spells survived the thousand years and came back?

I guess, in reality, it does not effect me. I am just curious of the exact nature of the spell.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: March 24, 2011, 09:35:14 pm »

Welcome back, and I am -pretty- sure we have everyone.. Pretty sure. Not 100% but roughly 90% sure.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: March 24, 2011, 09:38:51 pm »

Small chance.  Spell of Mastery literally withdrew all the power for magical spells.  Instant and temporary spells wouldn't have lasted.  Some spells, particularly those built into stable foundations (like engraved into solid rock, bound as particular enchantments) would have survived.  Some of them you're seeing now in the little events.  Traces might remain of the less permanent spells, but only wizards might notice them.

There are other ways.  As Bearskin pointed out, some orders of wizards/druids etc kept the knowledge secret and safe, despite the Master Wizard's efforts to destroy all other knowledge of magic.  It's been useless because of the Spell of Mastery, just impotent gesturing and so on, but because the techniques were preserved little bits of magic are starting to come back.

Although most of the undead would have just dis-animated, it is possible that like some of the more fantastic creatures certain undead types might have escaped by going into hiding.  Those would be the types either with some more permanent power source, or maybe the life-feeding types.

Update's not happening 'til Friday, at least the middle of the day.  Stayed up too long already writing my fluff responses etc.  Don't have the energy to do the full turn yet.

Edit:  Off to bed.  Will look at doing the update in the morning.  Night.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 09:40:26 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: March 24, 2011, 09:50:52 pm »

Good night.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: March 25, 2011, 06:29:06 am »

A proclamation from the Most Foul Emperor Demonic Spoon:

"That the Everlasting Sewing Circle of Doom hereby be founded for the greater prosperity and glory of the Foul Empire and it's allies and for the destruction of the circle's enemies most wretched"

Sewers of the Circle:

Emperor Demonic Spoon
The Traveller(I think? His comments seem to indicate this, unless those were just jokes.)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 07:11:35 am by Demonic Spoon »

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: March 25, 2011, 06:30:41 am »

..I am so very totally in, Its not funny.

Though they were jokes..I included the sewing circle at the end of that as a joke. However, since theres a real doom-bringing sewing circle, I'm down with that.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 06:34:51 am by Terenos »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fiefdoms @ War: Turn 5
« Reply #773 on: March 25, 2011, 11:57:41 am »

Turn 5
Summer 1002 A.D.

Events in the World

Shambles (Sordell):  Sordell seems to be quiet again for now, though the rumours of corpses stalking the lands within Western Sordell only grow in number.

Fireflies (Terret/Storm):  Free Tempest soldiers successfully purge the fire cave of its inhabitants, rediscovering a lost form of magic in the process.

Desert Winds (Pomford):  A survivor comes back from a ravaged caravan reporting the attack of his camels and kinsmen when they strayed into the path of a legion of heavily armed soldiers, heralded by a gust of wind.  He became lost and found his way to the lost temple, where many more were gathered.  It seemed as if they were preparing for an attack.

The Ice Queen (Terrendale):  Ravenous beasts, crosses between men and white bears, rampaged into eastern Grouting from Terrendale, stealing food and causing much destruction.

Spoiler: Free Tempests Republic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Arcadia (Kashyyk) (click to show/hide)

Quote from: New Technologies
Chaos Magic [Foundation]:  Foundation of all chaos magic.  Allows construction of Warlocks.

Summon Fireflies:  Chaos summoning spell.  Allows summoning of Fireflies.  Fireflies require a Warlock present to summon, but no other resources.

Ranged Training I:  Training in basic ranged combat drills.  Enabled recruitment of Javelineers.

Infrastructure I:  Improved communication within territories.  Increases the maximum investment in basic economy to £5000 (yielding a maximum basic revenue of £500/turn) per territory.

Metalworking II:  Improved techniques for working metal.  Enables building of Smithy.  Access enabled to Armoury and Weaponsmithy line of technologies.

Adjusted Technology

Infantry Training I:  Now enables recruitment of Skirmishers and Phalanx.

Quote from: New Units

Summoned units, such as Fireflies, require a caster of the appropriate type (e.g. warlocks for Chaos, necromancers for Necromancy) in the territory where they are summoned.  A caster can do this as part of their movement (i.e. summon in territory A, move to territory B and cast and finish their turn in territory C and cast/summon again).

Javelineers:  £400.  Attack 12, Defense 12.  Negates infantry modifiers by 6.  Upkeep: £50.  Tech: Ranged Training I.
Lightly armoured runners with balanced wooden javelins, trained in hit-and-run tactics.  Have a distinctive advantage against other types of infantry, particularly non-ranged infantry.

Phalanx:  £1000.  Attack 18, Defense 23.  Upkeep: £85.  Requires iron or copper.  Tech:  Infantry Training I or Armoury I.
A regiment of infantry equipped with broad metal shields and spears, trained to take up defensive formations at a moment's notice.

Fireflies:  £800.  Attack 22, Defense 8.  Upkeep: £50.  Summoned (Chaos)  Tech: Summon Fireflies
Strange will-o-the-wisps from another realm, these creatures resemble tiny candle flames; large swarms of them will burn the flesh from a man's bones.

Warlocks:  £1200.  Attack 12, Defense 6.  Upkeep: £100.  Caster, Support  Tech:  Chaos Magic [Foundation]
Warlocks are students of chaos, the unpredictable power source of magics that warp or destroy, and summoners of ill fiends or creatures of fire and mayhem.

Quote from: Mechanics Changes
Retreat Chances:  Cavalry units now have a chance of retreat from a losing battle if wounded.  This chance is affected by cavalry training, but at base is 15% for light cavalry and 10% for heavy cavalry and elephantry.

Engineers:  Engineers now count as siege engineers; they gain the 'Support' quality, but when part of an attacking force they allow them to ignore City Wall bonuses from the defenders.

Quote from: New Buildings
Smithy:  £500.  Requires and replaces forge.  Increases bonus to basic income from +5% to +8%.  Bonus increases by a further +2% for each of the following resources it has access to; Iron, Coal.  Bonus increases by a further +3% for the following resources it has access to; Copper, Silver, Gold.  Tech:  Metalworking II.

Quote from: New Hero Promotions
Warlock:  £1200.  Increases upkeep by £100.  Allows the hero to act as a warlock for the purposes of spellcasting and summoning.  The hero's attack and defense bonuses do not increase.  He is able to serve as a caster for chaos magic and gains any other benefits available to a warlock.  Warlock heroes may not fight directly, except against other heroes.  Tech: Chaos Magic [Foundation]

Ranger:  £600.  Increases upkeep by £40.  The hero gains expertise fighting with ranged weaponry such as javelins and bows.  His offensive and defensive bonuses to leading ranged units increase by 6.  Tech:  Ranged Training I.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 06:14:38 am by Iituem »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: March 25, 2011, 12:03:20 pm »

Now that I have a trade pact with Farland, can I trade through it and establish trade pact with Arcadia? Also, is the following turn valid:
Caravan move from South Brent to Trirem
Trirem move two sea zones west, to Cauldron
Caravan establish trade route to cauldron.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 12:16:53 pm by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: March 25, 2011, 12:08:06 pm »

The stats for the smithy?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 25, 2011, 12:13:24 pm »

Spoiler: Turn 5 Actions (click to show/hide)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: March 25, 2011, 12:32:03 pm »

Spoiler: Turn 6 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 10:05:29 am by Criptfeind »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: March 25, 2011, 12:35:51 pm »

Caravan movement would be valid, yes.  Be wary; the more trading happens, the more likely raiders will start appearing.  Yes, you can establish a trade pact with Arcadia working through the Farland trade route, as you would be able to do so with the Duchy of Grouting.

Forgot the smithy stats, will add those in.

Smithy:  £800.  Requires and replaces forge.  Increases bonus to basic income from +5% to +8%.  Bonus increases by a further +2% for each of the following resources it has access to; Iron, Coal.  Bonus increases by a further +3% for the following resources it has access to; Copper, Silver, Gold.  Tech:  Metalworking II.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 12:38:22 pm by Iituem »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: March 25, 2011, 12:36:29 pm »

And what about trade with Arcadia and Grouching?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 125