Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 125

Author Topic: Fiefdoms @ War: Turn 15  (Read 127465 times)

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fiefdoms @ War: Turn 0
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2011, 04:55:19 pm »

As races go, I'd like to be Human.

Spoiler: Turn 1 Orders (click to show/hide)
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2011, 04:59:51 pm »

Spoiler: Turn 1 (click to show/hide)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2011, 05:02:14 pm »

Forges are based on mines, I'm afraid.  I toyed with making them 'just have access to the right resource' like for unit production, but I would prefer to keep them location-dependent for strategic reasons.  It should be possible to research industries that can be built in resourceless territories (or indeed, any territory), and to research industries for other resources that replicate the effect of the smithy (percentage bonus to basic income rather than flat).  As an example off the top of my head, researching further levels in Agriculture will allow you to improve farms to add a further flat bonus and eventually a percentage of income bonus.

However, I do opt to leave those further options to research for now.  Upon taking a new territory there is a 40% random chance of it having a resource to exploit, but a little over half of all territories should be resourceless by the time they have all been explored.  This should create chokepoints of investment around resource-filled territories, which should affect strategy accordingly.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2011, 05:11:40 pm »

For research, I assume the base cap is secret and slowly diminishes as the tech get's more advanced?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2011, 05:12:20 pm »

How would my underground farms affect resources Would there have to be a reseource like mushrooms there or does it have to have grain also ?

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2011, 05:13:42 pm »

As a strategic choice, I heartily approve.

As far as the world being primarily resourceless, this is entirely acceptable. I would suggest that if we develop industries that we can add into a territory, we not be able to double up said industries without a large investment in technology, Primarily due to population. IE, I'm sure my own territory of Lower Toldron will develop as a mighty forge based center of industry, and thus cant develop anything else. But if say, East Toldron has no resources I should be able to invest in an industry there, to improve income. Say..Weaving. Then I'd be unable to develop something else there.

I'm assuming I can only raise troops with a building requirement in the territory with one of those buildings. But yknow, confirmation there would help too.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 05:30:36 pm by Terenos »
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2011, 05:27:42 pm »

Resources are empire-wide, provided there is a connection by road or territory between the available resources and the area where the units are being raised/resources being used.  We may run into some issues when empires start spanning oceans, but I will rule on that then.  (However, I expect that unless all sea routes between two owned territories are blockaded, they will count as connected for any such purposes).

For example: if your empire consists of Lester North, Lester Central and Lester South, you can have an iron mine in Lester North and still build swordsmen in Lester South.  If Lester Central rebels and becomes neutral, you can only build iron-dependent units in Lester South if there is a road between the two territories.  If Lester Central is taken by an enemy empire, you cannot build iron-dependent units in Lester South because it does not have access to iron (unless it acquires it from another source).

Roads count for connecting resources, if they are through neutral territories.

I am considering industry limitation per territory at the moment.  I think we will go with one industry/territory (the limit can be increased with infrastructure research), but I will rule on this for certain next turn.

I will rule for certain on underground farms when research on them is completed, but my gut is suggesting (read: not my final ruling) that they will allow you to build farms in areas that do not contain grain or other farmable resources.  However, this will count against the probably industry limit in a territory.  Obviously, barren territories you build underground farms in will not get the revenue bonuses from the grain resource or similar.  Underground farms might also not get the benefits of ordinary farm improvements (from researching the higher tiers of the Agriculture tech) without more underground farm research.

The base cap for research is secret.  Each turn anyone invests £500 or more into a tech, the base cap will increase by 1.  Each side that successfully researches a tech causes the base cap to increase by 10, until five sides have researched it (whereupon it becomes Public Domain and everyone else gets it for free).
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2011, 05:34:54 pm »

Is that £500 from one single player or £500 cumulative?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2011, 06:21:54 pm »

Per player.  So if Albia invests £300 into the tech and Bulmeria invests £300 on the same turn, the base cap doesn't rise.  If Albia invests £500 and Bulmeria invests £300, the cap rises by 1.  If both invest £500 or more, the cap rises by 2.  And if Albia discovers the tech as a result (but Bulmeria doesn't), the cap rises by 12 (10 from research success, 2 from investments).

Just Foul and PEPPPR to go, I think.  Simmed the battles, which took a little longer than expected because I had to rewrite a few portions of the engine to save time.  =P  The good news is that you get a blow-by-blow battle report as well as the end result.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2011, 06:25:41 pm »

Wow turns fly on here don't they.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2011, 06:45:59 pm »

Today is a free day for me.  I'm not at home Friday/Saturday at all, so I won't even be online then.  Same for next Wed/Thurs.  Otherwise, I follow the 'update when you have time' schedule, but try to get them done within 48-72 hours or sooner.  (I have a schedule which alternates between heavily booked and oddly free.)

Updated the OP with industry rules:

Industry

Some industrial buildings (e.g. mines, farms, sawmills) can only be constructed in regions that possess the requisite resource.  Other industries (e.g. weaving) do not require resources to be constructed in an area.  At the start of the game, players may only build one industrial building per territory (i.e. a farm or a weaving guild, but not both).  These buildings can be improved through technology without adding additional buildings, but in order to add more industries per territory a player must research technologies that improve the infrastructure of his territories.

You can only build one industry building per territory, which is fine at the moment in most cases because no resource-independent industries have been researched yet.  Once that happens, you will need to develop infrastructural technologies to improve your economy further and add multiple industry buildings per territory.

I've also redefined Smithies as counting as an Improvement to mines, since the industry is closely enough related (and location-dependent).  This will probably result in an interesting sort of branching effect if people research both better mines and better smelting and metalworking techniques, but the base industry requirement remains the same.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:49:09 pm by Iituem »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2011, 06:50:02 pm »

Well looks like next turn funds will be split between infrastruture, and underground farming research

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2011, 07:56:17 pm »

Underground farming seems... limiting, perhaps I may suggest just 'improved farming' and flavor it as underground?

Actually it is just going to get agriculture II anyway... Maybe.

Is resource distribution random or is it affected by logic, IE: A place south of my capital has a better chance to get grain (Or horses or something in that general area) as opposed to say, metals.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2011, 08:03:57 pm »

I am getting Underground farming because if you were to sya come with flying units to attack my farms the underground ones would go most likely untouched.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2011, 08:06:06 pm »

No, We'd leave the farms and civilians untouched. why destroy when you can humiliate...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 125