Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suggestion: The Devil!  (Read 1311 times)

Mcducks22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suggestion: The Devil!
« on: March 16, 2011, 11:50:13 am »

Here's one thing I think should be added to the game: the devil himself! Here's how it would work:

Currently, if you mine into hell demons start flooding out in infinite waves. This will normally destroy you pretty quickly. However, in my idea, if you survive a set number of waves (5?) then the devil will appear and start making his way up. He will be an extremely powerful version of the demons, and can only be damaged in combat (to prevent flooding traps and the like). If you manage to defeat him, a message will come up, and all the demons will disappear. He will drop an extremely valuable item (his horn?), upon death as a reward.

I think that this will give you a goal. Sure, you've built up a nice fortress, but can you defeat hell itself? 

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: The Devil!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 11:56:34 am »

you forgot that he must have atleast 4 gigantic dragon class firebreathing bodyguards.
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 11:56:55 am »

I like it and don't like it at the same time. While it would be cool to have a target like that, some people like to go that deep to see how long they can survive. Having an end to it might defeat the purpose for some of those people. Granted I'm leaning more towards having something like this.
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 12:04:56 pm »

waaaaay too easy.
what there should be is that the beginning waves are weaker and each wave gets gradually better and more demons with alot of waves, maybe 40-50 but in quick succession and only appearing when the previous wave is reduced to 20% strength or somthing similar . but lets not make this easy, ideally i think you should need at least 200 spoiler mastercrafted metal plated legendary fighters in order to have a chance of winning
 This should be somthing only the most committed can even concieve completing. you could even make it HARDER than this, so that maybe only ten maybe twenty people will ever complete it, with some very fancy completing message and ingame reward.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 12:06:36 pm by Antonater »

Mcducks22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 12:38:17 pm »

Hmmm... maybe not that hard, but yeah, maybe 20 waves instead of 5. But not 50. I want it to be really hard, but not completely impossible.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 01:21:34 pm »

uum mybe you could switch between devil or no devil?
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 01:40:34 pm »

Perhaps not "the Devil" but I'd definitely like to see demon lords and the like. Not only the amount of demons killed, but the wealth of the fortress and perhaps other factors should determine whether or not you get one's attention.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 01:42:44 pm »

I am sorry, but I don't like this.

When I think Demons, I think holding them off for as long as possible before your fortress is overwhelmed. I think when you reach hell, you should be finished. It should only be a matter of time until they break down your doors and kill everyone.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 02:39:18 pm »

While I do think hell could use a bit more development, I don't think that the devil is a good fit for Dwarf Fortress. I would prefer that hell be controlled by a number of competing Demon Lords.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 02:54:14 pm »

While I do think hell could use a bit more development, I don't think that the devil is a good fit for Dwarf Fortress. I would prefer that hell be controlled by a number of competing Demon Lords.

Or, you know how demons have spheres of rot, evil, etc?

I was just thinking... There could be a devil character for each sphere. These guys would be HUGE (Like, they would be the first multi-z level and multi-tile creatures) and would symbolize each of their spheres, like the Death Lord Demon is just a cloud of darkness, the Horror Lord Demon's description is just "Pure. Fear." and the War Lord Demon is made out of the bones of everyone who died in world gen.

Jazzfunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 04:19:21 pm »

At some point, "pit demons" will rise out of the glowing chasms and attack your fort.  Whereas most demons resemble some kind of warped animal monstrosity, Pit demons would be true beings of chaos; gigantic, twisted, slithering mounds of rotting flesh.  Think lovecraft style elder gods. In addition, they can only be slain with adamantine weapons, and will rip through all but the best crafted of armors.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 05:54:38 pm »

I wouldn't mind some randomized, demon-sent megabeasts that come from hell. They could be even tougher than most demons, and arrive with a special message, etc.

Or even a whole pack of a specific, special, procedurally generated type arriving at one time, with a different procedurally generated type (ideally named, too) as a leader. It would be a kind of "underworld siege" with (possibly megabeast-class?) demons. And hopefully after defeating one siege, you'd have to worry (as you do with goblins) about a bigger siege arriving in the future. Basically, for those who really want some more challenge.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 06:01:26 pm »

the War Lord Demon is made out of the bones of everyone who died in world gen.

This I like.

Anyway, I say no 'Devil'. Demon lords sounds nice. Multi tile ones, well multi tile isn't really supported is it? And it'd mess things up. I just think the more dorfs you have, and the more wealth, and the more demons you've killed, the more pour in.
And if you finally manage to kill the Demon Lords, maybe they do stop? Or maybe Armok appears himself and drowns your fort in a river of blood? XD
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

KCFOS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 06:05:22 pm »

Maybe not the devil, but perhaps a certain race's god of pain, fire, horror etc?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 06:39:54 pm »

the War Lord Demon is made out of the bones of everyone who died in world gen.

This I like.

Anyway, I say no 'Devil'. Demon lords sounds nice. Multi tile ones, well multi tile isn't really supported is it? And it'd mess things up. I just think the more dorfs you have, and the more wealth, and the more demons you've killed, the more pour in.
And if you finally manage to kill the Demon Lords, maybe they do stop? Or maybe Armok appears himself and drowns your fort in a river of blood? XD

Well, I think they should be replaced then by another demon with the appropriate sphere. Then, when you kill that one, another one appears. I like the idea of a last stand kind of deal with the demons, so this would fit.
Pages: [1] 2