Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Okay, the currency in this game is making me want to punch a kitten.  (Read 2046 times)

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I read that you can consolidate all the currency you have by selling it to a shopkeeper. I'm pretty sure when I just did it, the shiesty bastard screwed me over substantially on the rate of exchange. Is this intended? Or is currency going to be made more streamlined?

Gold is gold. It's kind of stupid that it's being treated differently according to what is stamped on it.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, the currency in this game is making me want to punch a kitten.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 02:50:51 pm »

Just kill the shopkeeper and take all his stuff.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 03:24:11 pm »

The only problem here is excommunication.
Hello Hunam

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 03:28:17 pm »

The only problem here is excommunication.

Oh, really? I hadn't been aware that this was considered a 'problem'.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 04:55:11 pm »

It is if you want companions from the particular civ. More like a minor annoyance, considering the alternatives.
Hello Hunam

Necalli

• Bay Watcher
  • amusing ourselves to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 10:32:00 pm »

Kill the shopkeeper, burn down the town, make war with the civ, just DON'T FUCKING TOUCH that kitten.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 10:51:35 pm »

Kill the shopkeeper, burn down the town, make war with the civ, just DON'T FUCKING TOUCH that kitten.
The kitten will remain unharmed, so long as someone tells me why I'm getting "couldn't find suitable process" when I try to use Runesmith. Info on how to correctly use Runesmith will earn the kitten an ounce of catnip, 2 hooker-cats, and an escape helicopter.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 10:54:52 pm »

So he's not allowed to kill one kitten, but we can mass murder kittens because our meat stocks are low?

sirquote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 11:19:35 pm »

Only trade in goods, coins become worthless pretty damn fast.

Just spend all your money on jewels and use them instead.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 11:27:28 pm »

Wait a minute, you don't already punch kittens?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Necalli

• Bay Watcher
  • amusing ourselves to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 01:08:16 am »

So he's not allowed to kill one kitten, but we can mass murder kittens because our meat stocks are low?

"A single kitten death is a tragedy. A million kitten deaths is a statistic." Urist McStalin

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 03:57:48 am »

Dive into ADv reactions so that money won't be a thing to worry about. Mostly if you feel cheap make a Adamantine battle axe and buy every thing in the store. 
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Ganthan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 05:01:34 pm »

Different nations using different currencies is the main reason I try to keep the number of actual coins I carry to a minimum and just trade goods instead.  The problem is that if you carry around too much junk it slows you down.  In fact I've recently devised a way of dealing with this:

First off, I carry two backpacks with me.  One for carrying my vital combat gear, the other for loot.  A simple glitch to carry unlimited items in a single container is to grab items off the ground when your hands are full and are wearing a backpack.  You'll just put things into the backpack regardless of how full it is.  Then remove and drop the loot pack, then drop your held gear, pick up and wear the combat pack, pick up the held gear, then pick up the loot pack.  You'll put the loot pack INSIDE the main gear pack.

To start fighting, simply drop the loot pack and you're ready to go.  You'd think that someone could then just make off with all your wealth but luckily nobody seems smart enough to do that.

Edit: Oh yeah, another benefit to this is that it's easy to distinguish between vendor trash and your worn equipment when trading because your trade junk will be listed under the backpack you have them in.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:56:20 pm by Ganthan »

StreetPizza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 09:01:59 am »

"A single kitten death is a tragedy. A million kitten deaths is a statistic banquet." Urist McStalin

Fix'd. As for the OP: Have you considered investing in gems instead of lugging gold around? A good enough gem from the craft store can be worth anywhere from 100-1000 dwarfbucks, weighs about the same as gold (I think...), and doesn't devalue if you take it to a store using different currency.
the soapmaker Urist McSudsy has come!  Beware his deadly cleansing action!