Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Autistic Life  (Read 6246 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Autistic Life
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2011, 08:19:42 pm »

I guess I may be a little socially awkward and having different interests, but when it comes up to picking up social cues and jokes from people I go with it (somewhat) smoothly. I doubt I'm autistic, just having say, a little different character.
Being unable to pick up on social cues is a sign of Aspergers, so you definately don't have that.

Armchair diagnoses are bad. There are reasons why:
  • The DSM specifically states that diagnostic criteria are not supposed to be applied like simple checklists in order to form a diagnosis.
  • Not every symptom of something is (generally) necessary for a diagnosis to be made.
Yes please do not ever self-diagnose yourself with any disorder no matter of your training, you are just poisoning your mind and might make you crazy.

Very much so. Nobody should ever self-diagnose psychiatric problems, especially if they don't have training to do so. But even if they do, they shouldn't.

I'm mildly autistic. I've learned that it helps to just treat social skills as well, a skill. Something that takes practice to develop. It's easier for some other people to pick up, but for most autistic people, it's more work. On the flip side, autistic people pick up other skills a bit faster.

Were you actually diagnosed with autism by a mental health professional?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2011, 09:32:51 pm »

Wondering if I should go see a doctor to check if I have any problems, and I'm pretty sure I have OCD.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2011, 09:34:44 pm »

If it isn't keeping you from living your life to a standard you consider acceptable, I wouldn't bother. If it is, you should probably consider it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2011, 10:13:06 pm »

If it isn't keeping you from living your life to a standard you consider acceptable, I wouldn't bother. If it is, you should probably consider it.
Well it just makes me feel awkward for a moment, nothing too harsh though. My father looks at me wondering why do I always shake my head.

Gearskull1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2011, 12:28:34 am »

Wondering if I should go see a doctor to check if I have any problems, and I'm pretty sure I have OCD.

I had always had a suspicion that I may have had OCD/ADD or some other form of problem. Due to many diffrent little things. But I never went farther than that and sort of assumed it was psychosomatic, and at times not there.

When I was 18 I ended up going to a therapist for anger issues >:(, and one day talking with him, I brought up my suspicions. He thought there may be some merit to my problems, and I ended up getting testing done. Turned out that I had a learning disability related to memory that is pretty rough to deal with in a school situation.

So if you really think you may have a problem it's best to check it out because although it may be psychosomatic, if it's not you will want to know about it.

A little off topic, but eh!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2011, 08:23:24 am »

I had always had a suspicion that I may have had OCD/ADD or some other form of problem. Due to many diffrent little things. But I never went farther than that and sort of assumed it was psychosomatic, and at times not there.

I don't think this word means what you think it means.

Anyway, something to keep in mind in this thread: Everyone has problems. That doesn't mean everyone needs to be diagnosed with psychiatric disorders and put on pharmaceutical treatment plans. The first thought a person has when realizing they have a personal issue should not be "I wonder if there's some convenient label that's similar to my issue?".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]