Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Autistic Life  (Read 6248 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Autistic Life
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2011, 06:55:11 pm »

Yep.

The thing about psychiatric diagnoses and the DSM-IV is that they don't imply etiology/causality, aren't very much set in stone, and don't follow any particular theory; they're meant as general guidelines. Interpretations will necessarily change over time, as well trends in diagnosis.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2011, 06:59:26 pm »

Could also be a higher number of false-flag diagnosis.
True which is why i want to examine my theory more before i can take another step, just throw it in the bin if you will.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2011, 07:26:12 pm »

Yeah, I've heard a number of folks going "Ooh, autism is the next step of evolution!"

... Meh.  I don't think so.  I understand the appeal, but at this point I can't look at it as anything but a disability.

And as far as children go, I just can't stop thinking: "Good lord, three of us that eccentric and bizarre in the same place?"  It'd be... hah.  Who knows.  We'll have to see if I even end up marrying.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2011, 10:35:14 pm »

Evolution has no steps, that's just silly talk. It's a disorder, really, since evolutionarily, we are a social animal, and anything that throws a wrench there is a danger to our survival. Being smart or talented means very little when you can't communicate it, and we already misrepresent aspergers as a "genius" disease. Aspergers does not mean that you'll be good at anything, it just means that social interaction becomes harder, if only that. Well, so far as I know at least.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2011, 10:40:38 pm »

It often implies that one has focused interests, which can make one extremely skilled in one particular area.

Still doesn't really make you a genius, though, because that implies latent talent and this is really about absurd amounts of work.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2011, 07:50:17 am »

Or perhaps many very smart and talented people are misdiagnosed with Aspergers because they are all working extremely hard to maintain their grades, so they have no time to talk and be social.

alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2011, 10:37:02 am »

I don't think it's the "next stage of evolution" or anything, but you have to be kindof careful about talking of "curing autism" rather than "helping people with autistic character traits to get by better".  For many autistic people, it's part of who they are as a person.

Remembering the way in which I grew up, I vaguely worry about whether or not I'd be able to teach a younger me to get along with the world.  I just... well, at this stage of my life, it would be such a bad idea that it wouldn't even be funny.  I'm not very good at shielding people from unpleasant things, or being tactful.

And two of us together... augh.  That could be so bad.
Well, even if you don't feel you'd be able to do it now, you could well be far more prepared in, say, ten years time.  Most people don't feel ready when they're still young, anyway.

Or perhaps many very smart and talented people are misdiagnosed with Aspergers because they are all working extremely hard to maintain their grades, so they have no time to talk and be social.
If you're showing the symptoms of Asperger's, then you have it, since it's just a description of the symptoms.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2011, 07:25:50 pm »

Well, I guess I'm also going to chime in. Most of the stuff I've read in the thread has been my experience as well;Good at one thing, shitty at the other.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2011, 08:48:08 am »

I guess I may be a little socially awkward and having different interests, but when it comes up to picking up social cues and jokes from people I go with it (somewhat) smoothly. I doubt I'm autistic, just having say, a little different character.

However, when I become comfortable with somebody and someone strikes a conversation that I'm comfortable with, I let go an unending flow on information. Someone said "you've just opened the forever flowing tap". I'm learning to talk more and shut up when I need to.

One thing is that my family has a rich heritage and is generally composed of say, "smart" people, but some in my family tree suicided/ran out naked/went crazy.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:53:24 am by justinlee999 »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2011, 08:57:40 am »

I guess I may be a little socially awkward and having different interests, but when it comes up to picking up social cues and jokes from people I go with it (somewhat) smoothly. I doubt I'm autistic, just having say, a little different character.
Being unable to pick up on social cues is a sign of Aspergers, so you definately don't have that.
However, when I become comfortable with somebody and someone strikes a conversation that I'm comfortable with, I let go an unending flow on information. Someone said "you've just opened the forever flowing tap". I'm learning to talk more and shut up when I need to.
I can relate. I almost never talk because of how bad I am at stopping, which has the unexpected side effect of making people listen to me like I'm their cult leader on the occasion I do speak.
One thing is that my family has a rich heritage and is generally composed of say, "smart" people, but some in my family tree suicided/ran out naked/went crazy.
There appears to be a positive correlation between higher IQ and a higher chance of developing mental illness. Yes, that's right, Lovecraft was right all along.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2011, 09:02:01 am »

There appears to be a positive correlation between higher IQ and a higher chance of developing mental illness. Yes, that's right, Lovecraft was right all along.
You best be joking, but 2 of the high achievers in my family actually ran out naked. But the rest who survived went on to become rich men in China/running one of the biggest corporations in my country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2011, 09:05:33 am »

You best be joking, but 2 of the high achievers in my family actually ran out naked. But the rest who survived went on to become rich men in China/running one of the biggest corporations in my country.
No joke.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2011, 10:11:53 am »

Being unable to pick up on social cues is a sign of Aspergers, so you definately don't have that.

Armchair diagnoses are bad. There are reasons why:
  • The DSM specifically states that diagnostic criteria are not supposed to be applied like simple checklists in order to form a diagnosis.
  • Not every symptom of something is (generally) necessary for a diagnosis to be made.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2011, 04:57:35 pm »

I'm mildly autistic. I've learned that it helps to just treat social skills as well, a skill. Something that takes practice to develop. It's easier for some other people to pick up, but for most autistic people, it's more work. On the flip side, autistic people pick up other skills a bit faster.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2011, 04:59:43 pm »

Armchair diagnoses are bad. There are reasons why:
  • The DSM specifically states that diagnostic criteria are not supposed to be applied like simple checklists in order to form a diagnosis.
  • Not every symptom of something is (generally) necessary for a diagnosis to be made.
Yes please do not ever self-diagnose yourself with any disorder no matter of your training, you are just poisoning your mind and might make you crazy.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6