Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Autistic Life  (Read 6232 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Autistic Life
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2011, 11:27:18 pm »

I hate to be the one to say this, but:

Aspergers Syndrome is not autism.

It's an autism spectrum disorder; it has syndromes in common with autism, but calling aspergers "autism" is extremely misleading, and trivializes how horrible autism itself is.

This is not to trivialize aspergers, but there needs to be a distinction made here between autism and something that exists on the borderline between autism and normal human function. Autism is normally extremely debilitating, whereas aspergers is... well, incredibly variable, but not anywhere near as severe.
DSM -V is supposed to end the autism fight whenever it comes out.

To me, i guess Aspergers was inhibiting in school, i had the greatest amount of attention span for all of my lectures and my tests were outstanding but i had big issues with assignments and my social skills were nil.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2011, 12:08:04 am »

I remember once being concerned that I might have had Aspergers when I first got into learning about psychological disorders about three years ago, but now I'm fairly certain that I am simply extremely introverted and anti-social, nothing more. No mental issues I know of, I've never been psychoanalyzed, but I've never had any reason to be either. As such, I guess I'm fine in the mental department.

I've only met one person who may have been autistic, but I had nowhere near the psychological knowlege to make a guess at the time, and now my memory of her has mostly faded.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2011, 01:01:27 am »

Apparently I have border-line Aspergers. It ain't confirmed yet, but a psychologist I went to for anger management and suicide related problems says it's probable. He say's it's my choice whether I want to get tested or not.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2011, 04:13:34 pm »

IIRC there were more differences. Such as some tendence to make repetitive movements that the autism disorder lacked, and several others. Plus most autism sufferers were under the normal IQ range, whereas Asperger sufferers were distributted normally.

I don't understand your graph, most of the numbers are too low to talk at all. And Asperger's usually brings higher IQ not normal.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2011, 04:26:10 pm »

I don't understand your graph, most of the numbers are too low to talk at all. And Asperger's usually brings higher IQ not normal.

Honey, low-functioning autism generally means one is incapable of speech.  That is an IQ distribution for autistic disorder, not Asperger's.

As for your second statement, I'm going to need some proof of it.  Everything I've ever read--other than things written by AS apologists--implied that it was a normal distribution truncated at the 70-IQ line due to diagnostic criteria.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2011, 04:29:09 pm »

Autism Spectrum, graph from 16 years ago

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2011, 04:31:20 pm »

There's also the fact that an IQ test probably doesn't work so well (for determining how "intelligent" a person is) when their brains function as atypically as that of a seriously autistic person. I doubt the clinical relevance of such a test, at least as far as that is concerned (obviously, having an IQ of 70 still means something).

Autism Spectrum, graph from 16 years ago

And what do the symbols on that mean?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2011, 04:33:00 pm »

i think its a filler but also represents the linear actions of the brain
http://www.autismasperger.net/intro.htm

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2011, 04:36:37 pm »

If you read the linked article, it says that it represents the amount of variation present under each of the given disorders.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2011, 04:41:59 pm »

If you read the linked article, it says that it represents the amount of variation present under each of the given disorders.
So i am right and represent linear thought process level

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2011, 04:44:28 pm »

The phrase "linear thought process level" is not in my lexicon.

You are in a room with a table.  An extinguished lamp is on the table.  There are exits to the north and south.

>

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2011, 04:44:43 pm »

At this point, it can be difficult to tease out whether certain attributes result from personality or from the autism spectrum disorder.

I've always found this sort of thinking really odd. Where do you draw the line between "personality" and a "disorder" that you've had since infancy? What's the difference, even, especially when you're talking about the same qualities?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2011, 04:45:19 pm »

You are in a room with a table.  An extinguished lamp is on the table.  There are exits to the north and south.

>
xyzzy.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2011, 04:45:54 pm »

>
> Pull out the bulb and examine it

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2011, 04:49:01 pm »

At this point, it can be difficult to tease out whether certain attributes result from personality or from the autism spectrum disorder.

I've always found this sort of thinking really odd. Where do you draw the line between "personality" and a "disorder" that you've had since infancy? What's the difference, even, especially when you're talking about the same qualities?

The thing is, there's also mood disorders and personality disorders, right?  I don't even know why they try to distinguish it, really.  There's something going on with a person that makes them act in ways most people find suboptimal.  In the end, "personality" is also a syndrome... we don't understand it.  Correction is always going to be about teaching a person how their personal circumstances interact with the outside world, and teaching them how to manage situations differently with new tools.  Does it really matter how long you've had the problems in question?

*sigh*

I guess the reason why it matters is because if one was "normal" before some traumatic event, it might be more about alleviating the aftermath of the trauma than teaching new skills.  I really don't understand this entire phenomenon.

@The guys who fell for the text adventure game: don't even think about it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6