Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: RTS with movable bases?  (Read 8156 times)

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTS with movable bases?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 10:42:46 am »

There's a 4X (I know you're looking for RTS, but it's worth a shot) that has movable cities. Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic has a race called Nomads, that can make their cities into caravans. That's probably the closest you'll get to the dalish.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 11:07:38 am »

Universe at War: Earth Assault has an alien race that uses huge walkers as a mobile base. The only buildings that can't move are the turrets.
Really, it's a pretty awesome game. It totally hit me by surprise when I decided to try it out :)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 11:21:22 am »

As others pointed out Night Elves in Warcraft three have walking trees as bases, what they didn't point out is that these trees also punch people as decent melee units when in moveing mode.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 12:22:31 pm »

Dark Reign. One faction can pack up pretty much all facilities in its base and move elsewhere.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 12:35:18 pm »

I'll have to agree with both recommendations of Warrior Kings (battles) as well as the Homeworld series. If you're going for gameplay I would suggest the second one in the series due to the great deal of mods available for it. In theory all bases can move in that game, and the resources needed to do so can be modded. The bases move in a very particular way though, they don't use their engine to travel, seeing as they are humongous and move quite slowly to get anywhere, no they "warp" from place to place at the expense of resources. The range is dependant on the drive of the ship, but it more usually the case that the feature that will limit you is the amount of resources you have at hand since you can more or less jump quite a ways.

Both games are quite cheap at this point, and both games should have been what RTSes should have taken to be their model instead of all the warcraft, AoE clones we have now. Warrior Kings did their tech progression wonderfully in my opinion. You wouldn't really know what path your opponents are going to pick at the beginning or even toward the middle of the game. The mechanics are very well done, especially that of projectile combat, though melee leaves something to be desired but is still functional.
As for Homeworld, you really shouldn't have any qualms buying it at this point. It is the penultimate real time strategy already, when you factor in the mods as well, you get something truly divine.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 03:23:57 pm »

Universe at War: Earth Assault has an alien race that uses huge walkers as a mobile base. The only buildings that can't move are the turrets.
Really, it's a pretty awesome game. It totally hit me by surprise when I decided to try it out :)
Damn you, I was going to say that. But yeah, fighting off those walkers (or fighting with them, but I usually play Novus) is damn awesome.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 03:31:14 pm »

I was gonna say UaW too XD

So cool.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 06:22:46 pm »

I keep wanting to say Outpost 2, even though it doesn't really count.  It DOES have some unconventional base stuff though.  You have a Structure Factory that produces buildings in little packages which you load on construction vehicles, then deploy elsewhere near or far.  That, and you can recycle old buildings if you have the right tech.  The fact that you are often frantically trying to produce new structures and load them on the ConVecs in time to escape the oncoming lava flow, and and end up with either a caravan or a steady stream of buildings-in-transit, might make up for the whole 'your buildings do not actually move' thing.

(sending bulldozers over beforehand and paving the area so your structures deploy faster gives it added coolness points)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 07:22:27 pm »

Damn you, I was going to say that. But yeah, fighting off those walkers (or fighting with them, but I usually play Novus) is damn awesome.

Agreed, UaW was surprisingly good. The campaign got pathetic near the end (shifting from a story-driven campaign into a linear series of generic battles. Which are trivially won by bringing in a force of air units and hunting down the enemy before they get AA.  ::) ), but the core gameplay was varied and interesting, and the first two chapters of the campaign were decently done. It's a pity GfWL killed online play.

To summarize: the Hierarchy don't really use 'buildings', they have massive, mobile walkers with a bunch of hardpoints. You can fit unit-producing structures to hardpoints... or you can fit guns and/or stat boosters, turning your walker into a ridiculously powerful weapon. I remember one early skirmish game I played - I was happily building away with my Masari, feeling pretty safe after fending off a couple of scouts, when suddenly the entire Hierarchy army marched over the horizon, with all 3 walkers in tow. The sight of their walkers charging my unprepared base was one of the most intense I've felt in an RTS; the feeling of joy when I just barely managed to defeat them was also among my best experiences.  :D

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 07:39:05 pm »

There was a video game writeup I started (and went nowhere with) inspired by "The Way" the idea was you'd have to keep moving your settlements forward to survive, with the world being destroyed behind you, and created in front of you. The issue that was supposed to give you was how to manage your resources with that in mind, you'd get dealt good and bad terrain as you went along, you might find fertile lands in one area, you'd have to manage storage, resources and production and a hungry population while dealing with a changing terrain, the difficulty of navigating it, and competing civilizations. There would also be a balance between using more permanent buildings, and less permanent tents and wagons, permanent ones would be better, but you'd have to abandon them.

I had a lot of issues with figuring out where I wanted it to go though, I thought about forcing it to be centered around a "King" or such where you could only have one center of your civilization, and then perhaps putting in a mechanism where you get rid of your, population when it gets too large by "splitting" it and sending off the split group to another stretch of the way like in king of dragon pass. then there's other issues, like do I want it to be pure sandbox, or perhaps make it give you increasingly inhospitable land over time? Perhaps a form of "conquer the world" with stress on aggressive civilizations warring with each other? But how would that work if I had the infinite world I'd thought about?

Not all that helpful to the topic really, but it's an interesting note.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 08:33:27 pm »

The "Aurora" indie 4x space game you can do it; although unfortunately the game is too buggy to be playable at the point at which you are going inter-stellar. Essentially you can build fleets of ships which are large enough to drag along all your structures with you; including the shipyards required to build the ships themselves. Ships can be equipped with terraforming modules, and with enough of them (highly expensive though) you could terraform a world quite rapidly if needed. Or just drag the required infrastructure with. You can mine asteroids with ships, harvest fuel directly from gas giants, and build massive cargo bays capable of bringing any structure with you. It would be the ultimate in roving space locusts if not for the accursedly horrible unplayability due to bugs...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 08:46:34 pm »

Reminds me of Quarians :).
Also, I think colonists do not breed on ships in Aurora.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 10:05:40 pm »

Reminds me of Quarians :).
Also, I think colonists do not breed on ships in Aurora.
Actually, you can bring along ships with orbital modules. Orbital modules are essentially free population capacity w/o the hassles of infrastructure or terraforming. Set up around a planet, take the colonists out of cryo, and you got yourself a mobile population center capable of growing (albeit not in transit). The whole 'locust fleet moving from system to system' concept is what made me so happy about Aurora... before having my hopes for it crushed under the weight of rapidly self-corrupting saves.  >:(

Edit: Hrm, it seems to have vanished from the interwebs in anycase...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 10:36:29 pm by alway »

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 01:54:18 am »

Edit: Hrm, it seems to have vanished from the interwebs in anycase...

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 08:56:23 am »

--Snipped game idea--

That sounds... really cool.

The only actual contribution I have isn't actually much of one, but the main base hub you have in Impossible Creatures moves from location to location as you play through the campaign. I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually move at any point during gameplay or in multiplayer, though, so it's mostly for show.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3