Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: RTS with movable bases?  (Read 8155 times)

Grantyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
RTS with movable bases?
« on: March 15, 2011, 10:17:32 pm »

As the title would suggest, I'm looking for an RTS in which you can settle down for a bit, collect resources, and then move on if you want, packing up your buildings and finding a new area. This explanation may not be great, but what I imagine is kind of like the Dalish elves from Dragon Age, where they come, stay for a bit, and then pack up their wagons and move on. Sorry for the vagueness. Any suggestions?

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: RTS with movable bases?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 10:22:33 pm »

That would be the Terran faction in Starcraft. And partly the Command And Conquer series due to the Mobile Construction Vehicle.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 11:28:31 pm »

Or starcraft 2 , you can move your base too as the teran
Desu

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 11:41:08 pm »

There's an old RTS called Blood & Magic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_%26_Magic

You start with a bunch of Basal Golems. When idle, they settle down and turn into little pyramids that slowly collect mana for you. You can expand mana to create more Basal Golems.

You can direct four of Basal Golems onto foundations found in the map to create a mystical site (basically, a building). With the mystical site you can turn other Basal Golems into more powerful creatures, which are unlocked by spending mana to research.

So in B&M you don't really need a fixed base; All you need is some Basal Golems and some foundations not yet taken.

It is not a good RTS though. Advanced creatures are often less efficient than rushing people with Basal golems (IIRC max unit is 256).

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 03:31:46 am »

Warrior Kings allows you to construct new manors/palaces etc and relocate there.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 05:45:40 am »

in warcraft 3 the elves have bases made out of walking trees.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 05:54:38 am »

Dawn of War 1, the Eldar can move their bases around.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 06:05:29 am »

You don't exactly collect resources in the typical sense, and its not really a great game either, but CnC: Tiberium Twilight has basically a "mobile" base, but as in one unit. Sort of like an on the go unit that can do everything. Mobile factory and such.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 06:38:39 am »

Homeworld 2(maybe 1 too, I've never played it).
Your "base" is a "mothership", and you're pretty much free to move it across the map. There are no permanent constructions whatsoever, apart from the turret-like defence emplacements. You mine the asteroid fields, and move on.
It's campaign mode features the same mothership traveling across the known universe, so it's kind of expanding on the 'moving base' idea even further.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 07:18:44 am »

HW1 is like that in multiplayer mode too. They're a bit slow though, and hyperspace jumps are almost prohibitively expensive.

I don't think you can move the mothership in campaign mode for either game though. All the movement occurs in-storyline via hyperspace jumps and such.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 07:26:16 am »

Red alert 3 has Empire of the rising sun.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 07:35:21 am »

Yes homeworld 2 is a good choice , use Complex Mode for more units that improve gameplay
Desu

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 10:12:19 am »

Age of Mythology (or the expansion?) had the Atlanteans, whose harvesting unit didn't need to go to the main base, the resources just added to your pool directly. But all your buildings are rooted in place tho.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 10:27:21 am »

Starcraft 1 and 2, Terran fraction, their Buildings can lift off, and it's not that hard to lift off entire bases and land them somewhere, buildings that don't have lift off can be safely left behind

Dawn of war Soulstorm/dark crusade/Winter assault's Eldar can relocate and teleport their bases through the use of Warp gates, and pretty fast, too, makes for some good hit-and-run tactics

Warcraft 3 : The Elves have walking bases, nuff said

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 10:29:45 am »

Total annihilation sort of has walking bases, the commander is sort of a base by himself.  Tis also an awesome game
If life gives you lemons, burn them.
Pages: [1] 2 3