Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1106 1107 [1108] 1109 1110 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1458170 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #16605 on: May 07, 2020, 04:48:53 am »

Hah. Evil Genius. Despite it's flaws, fond memories.
Really, is it from 2004? I thought it was older than that, it feels like 20 years ago that I played that.
I still have the original CDROM somewhere.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16606 on: May 07, 2020, 06:38:18 am »

Evil Genius 2 is apparently being released later this year.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16607 on: May 07, 2020, 08:28:59 am »

Really, is it from 2004? I thought it was older than that, it feels like 20 years ago that I played that.
2004 is 16 years ago, so that's not too far off.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16608 on: May 07, 2020, 11:50:54 am »

My main gripe with the game was that the minion cap and mission requirements for large amounts of specific types of minions meant that you needed to sacrifice a bunch each time and train more from scratch to make sure you had the correct ratio of valets/mercenaries/snipers/whatever each time you did a big mission.

Luckily this was easily fixed in a config, but made the game a bit easier, because now your island is swarming with minions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16609 on: May 07, 2020, 12:24:32 pm »

My only real issue with Evil Genius was that the "front" you put up never worked. Enemy agents would come in, immediately zero in on the route to your base and just start trashing shit left and right. Traps, decoys, all that nonsense was a waste of time. It was far better to have an empty parlor up front, a long corridor for them wander down, then you just dog pile them with a big trap room. I got so sick of having to constantly rebuild everything they trashed I eventually gave up.

I hope Evil Genius 2, assuming it's even going the same route as before, addresses this. If your supposed to have some sort of cover operation to slow down or confuse enemy agents, it should actually...ya know....work instead of just being an invitation for them to wreck the joint.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16610 on: May 07, 2020, 12:27:26 pm »

When I played I just had a needlessly windy long ass corridor with a single briefcase of cash at the end, I think it was just a minimum size money vault and they'd navigate that in order to get the money. It took them so long to do so due to the long maze corridor that the cost of their theft ended up being negligible and they'd always go for it as there were no doors in the way.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16611 on: May 07, 2020, 12:32:46 pm »

Right. There's a design solution to the problem but I feel like it throws out 1/3rd of the stuff the game implies you should be doing. Having a front manned by Social Minions distracting agents and what not is what the game is supposed to be about. Instead you throw out that entire section of the game, and design a base specifically to BORE agents in to leaving. A pretty unsatisfactory simulation IMO.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16612 on: May 07, 2020, 12:35:21 pm »

yeah absolutely. The whole hotel/resort front never really worked

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16613 on: May 07, 2020, 01:04:38 pm »

It worked up until an agent goes hostile and starts a rumble that nukes your social minions.  Then your regular minions get mixed in while they tried to clean up, then your guards when they are sent in to guard your clean up crew.

That's before special agents start showing up and just go about wasting your social minions for their own sadistic fun.

Also as an alternative to just leaving a corridor un-doored you just put a door with a max lock on it.  If you have locked door it's more enticing to agents, they just have to get in.  Behind that I put fans to blow them back out and traps that drained mental stats.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16614 on: May 10, 2020, 01:05:21 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 04:09:52 pm by dragdeler »
let

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #16615 on: May 10, 2020, 01:23:18 pm »

Only a very few on the list are ones I have potential interest in playing. The rest I own on one medium or another. Did spread news about it elsewhere yesterday though.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16616 on: May 10, 2020, 04:27:22 pm »

SupCom 2? Bleh. No.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16617 on: May 10, 2020, 05:19:56 pm »

My only real issue with Evil Genius was that the "front" you put up never worked. Enemy agents would come in, immediately zero in on the route to your base and just start trashing shit left and right. Traps, decoys, all that nonsense was a waste of time. It was far better to have an empty parlor up front, a long corridor for them wander down, then you just dog pile them with a big trap room. I got so sick of having to constantly rebuild everything they trashed I eventually gave up.

Something I did that did delay the agents a lot was building hotels with a ton of 1x1 rooms with doors on all sides. They'd waste a lot of time shooting the doors. But yeah that was tedious to replace. Putting big blocks of machine gun nests outside ended up being less hassle, backed with security cameras so that guards would swarm into the location. Deal with it like an RTS defense situation, and drop the pretense.

Also, building your barracks or troops training areas in the entrances can help too. Same thing as works well in Dungeon Keeper. It's faster to replace minions than equipment.

It worked up until an agent goes hostile and starts a rumble that nukes your social minions.  Then your regular minions get mixed in while they tried to clean up, then your guards when they are sent in to guard your clean up crew.

Well there's something that could be fixed there. The intent was clearly to emulate James Bond movies, so they failed because at any point the designers should ask "what would James Bond do?" do in this situation. James Bond never went around machine-gunning down every waiter and waitress in sight.

One fix would be to make it so that enemy agents only shoot your armed minions, but will incapacitate unarmed ones. Another possibly simpler fix would be to make it so hotel staff are a type of civilian that arrive on the island automatically as needed the same as the tourists. Then hotel staff wouldn't be aware of the secret front, and they'd freak out if a shootout started or they come across something they're not suppose to see, and need to be brainwashed and released again so as not to spill the beans. You'd probably still want some social minions but make them more iconic types: But the point should be that if their cover is blown, these minions whip out weapons and have a shootout with the agents. "good" agents should never gun down unarmed people.

The core problem here is the simplistic enemy agent AI that defaults to treating the game as an RTS.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 05:50:45 pm by Reelya »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16618 on: May 10, 2020, 06:06:14 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 04:10:00 pm by dragdeler »
let

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile