Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1097 1098 [1099] 1100 1101 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1457981 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #16470 on: March 13, 2020, 06:30:24 am »

This is more like every time you see the word "weeb" in a post, you assume it's related to me.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16471 on: March 13, 2020, 06:32:24 am »

What's your point even? The last two posts from you are just non-sequitors to what I was even saying.

I can only assume you don't have a point to make.

EDIT: so out of that you decide to hone in on the fact that i accidentally implied that CoD is a single continuity. That's an even geekier thing to notice. But, it's basically irrelevant to the point I was making. I could have said "by the same developer" or something. Same point.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 06:42:01 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16472 on: March 13, 2020, 07:33:58 am »

I was well aware of how common Sakura is (and what it means), Reelya

The joke was that since it is that common, it needed specification. I wasn't actually asking if it was Cardcaptor Sakura games.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16473 on: March 13, 2020, 09:13:48 am »

Well I wasn't actually directly responding/commenting on your post, it was just that general observation too. for, like random people who might do something silly like buy the Sakura games, since they only cost $1.

The main point was that they're crappy faux-Japanese games. Devs should just make their own thing, like there are companies making games inspired by visual novels, but They set things in the west or in western Europe fantasy settings (like the Long Live The Queen VN), they don't go naming everyone "Takahiro" and shit. That's bad fan fiction level writing. It's derivative.

The real problem is that if you're trying to slavishly imitate something for "authenticity" then what you make invariably ends up mediocre, since you're scared to break conventions, because then it will be less "authentic", while the actual creators don't have to give a fuck about being "authentic", since they're not trying to prove anything. Point in case, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. A western self-conscious "metroidvania" would probably adhere more strictly to the formulas than the one created by the original creator.

I'd have respected the Sakura guy more if he didn't go and pay the Japanese to add voice-acting to his game and just said, "fukkit, it's in English, deal with it". Having Japanese voice acting in an English game just because that's what you do, is just silly, whereas making a game like that with a full English voice cast would be something new that we don't really have many examples of.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 09:36:59 am by Reelya »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16474 on: March 13, 2020, 06:01:16 pm »

Yes, of course, because western devs can't make games set in Japan because that would not be "making their own thing."  I've never played the games before, but I'd suspect that their mediocrity and derivativeness is not due to the fact that they happen to be set in Japan with Japanese voice-acting, but because the creator is mediocre and derivative.  The setting and VA work are separate from that, and that would be true whether the creator were British or Japanese.  Heavens know there are plenty of mediocre Japanese VNs that are scared to break genre conventions, as you rather accurately put it, and being made by Japanese people doesn't make them any better.  There's no need to throw around cultural baggage like you're loading an airplane.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16475 on: March 13, 2020, 06:08:13 pm »

Yes, of course, because western devs can't make games set in Japan because that would not be "making their own thing."

I think there is a distinction. There's setting / inspiration, then there's imitation.

Avatar TLA & Korra draw inspiration from that stuff for example, but it's not slavish imitation. Samurai Jack as well, set in Japan. Not an issue.

It's the difference between being inspired by say, Gucchi's designs vs producing knock-off Gucchi stuff but calling it Glucchi or something. The reason they speak Japanese in Japanese media is that it's made for a Japanese audience. They don't go and dub a Japanese series that's set in America in English then have to subtitle it to watch it. That's just affectation, at best and trying to cash in or bait-and-switch for genre fans at worst.

And that's really my point. I was really pointing out that they're not actually Japanese VNs because some people may be interested in collecting Japanese VNs, so if there are ones that aren't actually that, they should at least be advised of it so they know what they're purchasing. It's like collecting anything else. You want to know where it came from. you can make an imitation Ming Vase that's every bit as good as the real thing, indistinguishable, better even. But if it's not actually a Ming Vase, you want to know. Yes, it's a perfectly good vase. Yes, you can't tell by looking at it. But no ... it does actually matter.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 06:31:06 pm by Reelya »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16476 on: March 15, 2020, 01:07:52 pm »

GOG has some pretty good games on sale right now. Rise of the Triad is an old FPS with a lot of humor and personality. It's in the weekend sale. Graveyard keeper is of the "gather resources to build stuff that lets you collect resources more efficiently" genre, with a fairly interesting story. It's in the Farming games sale, which appears to mostly be fishing. I've also heard good things about Fistful of Gun and Immortal Redneck, but haven't played them.

Unreal and Unreal Tournament are fairly standard FPS games, which is the second most negative thing I'll say about any of the games in the sale. The most negative is that Ion Fury was originally called Ion Maiden, and I'm disappointed they (had to?) changed it.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16477 on: March 15, 2020, 01:13:48 pm »

GOG has some pretty good games on sale right now. Rise of the Triad is an old FPS with a lot of humor and personality. It's in the weekend sale. Graveyard keeper is of the "gather resources to build stuff that lets you collect resources more efficiently" genre, with a fairly interesting story. It's in the Farming games sale, which appears to mostly be fishing. I've also heard good things about Fistful of Gun and Immortal Redneck, but haven't played them.

Unreal and Unreal Tournament are fairly standard FPS games, which is the second most negative thing I'll say about any of the games in the sale. The most negative is that Ion Fury was originally called Ion Maiden, and I'm disappointed they (had to?) changed it.
Ion Fury is also made by shameless transphobes (and homophobes), so there's that.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16478 on: March 15, 2020, 01:28:25 pm »

How so? Im curious? Do you walk around the game shooting homosexuals and transexuals? Honest question.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #16479 on: March 15, 2020, 02:01:08 pm »

Can we not?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16480 on: March 15, 2020, 05:54:11 pm »

How so? Im curious? Do you walk around the game shooting homosexuals and transexuals? Honest question.
No. There are some "jokes" in the game, and the devs have made their stances on the above very clear.

I unfortunately already had the game for some time when they showed their prejudice, so I couldn't refund.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16481 on: March 15, 2020, 07:56:03 pm »

Graveyard keeper is of the "gather resources to build stuff that lets you collect resources more efficiently" genre, with a fairly interesting story. It's in the Farming games sale, which appears to mostly be fishing.
Does Graveyard Keeper have an interesting story? I have no idea how far I got in it, but what I saw seemed rather bland and broad to me.

Game itself is interesting, though. It's basically Stardew Valley with a few gimmicks and trying as hard as it can to be bad. If you don't yet own Stardew Valley, you should probably get that instead. If you already love Stardew Valley and want more, even if it's not as great, Graveyard Keeper is a good candidate.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16482 on: March 15, 2020, 09:08:59 pm »

Graveyard keeper is SLOWWWWWWWWWWW!

I don't know how interesting the story itself is, but you have to do so much grinding to get to the next beat that I eventually lost patience with the game.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16483 on: March 15, 2020, 09:13:06 pm »

Graveyard keeper is of the "gather resources to build stuff that lets you collect resources more efficiently" genre, with a fairly interesting story. It's in the Farming games sale, which appears to mostly be fishing.
Does Graveyard Keeper have an interesting story? I have no idea how far I got in it, but what I saw seemed rather bland and broad to me.

Game itself is interesting, though. It's basically Stardew Valley with a few gimmicks and trying as hard as it can to be bad. If you don't yet own Stardew Valley, you should probably get that instead. If you already love Stardew Valley and want more, even if it's not as great, Graveyard Keeper is a good candidate.

All of the characters (a dozen or so?) except the donkey are interconnected in some way. It sometimes makes quests either hilarious or angry-making depending on what order you did them in (even though taking an extra 6 days means nothing when there is no time limit, there is real victory or loss at stake when you need to spend like 1 real-time hour before you can finish a quest) but the extra effort they put in to make sure everyone in this small town knows everyone else is worth it. Although there is no real story until you start doing the second or third quest for each person. It's all "bring me one wine, get a license to do X, my brother NPC 2 hasn't spoken to me since...."

Graveyard keeper is SLOWWWWWWWWWWW!

I don't know how interesting the story itself is, but you have to do so much grinding to get to the next beat that I eventually lost patience with the game.

Except you can pretty easily buy xp from the astrologist. As long as you're selling pies. Like 25% of that game is making and selling pies or growing whatever you need to make pies so you can buy everything.

But early game where you go to town everyday to buy 1 egg and sometimes 1 bucket of milk isn't great. It did stretch the game out for like 20 more hours, which is probably fine on replays when you just want to zone out and do something repetitive.

Coffeespoons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16484 on: March 16, 2020, 08:47:34 am »

Noticed this on twitter earlier today:

Peter Whalen@LegendaryFerret

Dream Quest is going on sale tomorrow for a week on Steam. 90% off (the max I could do) - a silly stick figure game for being cooped up at home.

If you want to play but can't afford it, message me and, until the logistics become too much of a pain, I'll send you a free key.

----

Small kindnesses like this give me a little hope!  Dream Quest is a lovely little game with surprising depth.  It's a roguelike card game with progressive unlocks of cards and classes.  Highly recommended - get over complaining about the graphics already!
Pages: 1 ... 1097 1098 [1099] 1100 1101 ... 1134