Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1062 1063 [1064] 1065 1066 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1457016 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #15945 on: June 11, 2019, 08:46:24 pm »

(rather they just base their marketing around that; not that they actually do anything differently).

I mean, I gotta disagree with this at the level that we as consumers experience it. (Their working conditions aren't something we can experience via their product.)

-They don't nickle and dime you through preorder bonuses from 12 different retailers.
-They don't nickle and dime you by selling a ton of DLC content. They sell actual expansions.
-They don't stuff their $60 SP game with loot boxes that you can buy with real money.
-They don't make you sign up for an account to their service on top of the digital distribution platform you already use.
-They don't have obscene product crossovers that I'm aware of.
-They don't do third party DRM above and beyond your digital distribution platform.

So that makes them pretty significantly different than the other big developers and publishers in the industry.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15946 on: June 11, 2019, 10:25:37 pm »

Emphasis is my commentary.
(rather they just base their marketing around that; not that they actually do anything differently).

I mean, I gotta disagree with this at the level that we as consumers experience it. (Their working conditions aren't something we can experience via their product.) -this is an extremely bad point. It's an awful practice, and buying/not buying their products is one of the best things people can do as consumers to help stop it

-They don't nickle and dime you through preorder bonuses from 12 different retailers. -done by a small number of publishers, and it's all "oh you get +1 skill point" which is the most meaningless lip service one can do
-They don't nickle and dime you by selling a ton of DLC content. They sell actual expansions. -oh god, THIS one. Almost wrote about this one in my original post but decided not to then. They sell DLC just as big as DLC released for plenty of games, AAA or smaller. They just make sure to say "OH THIS IS AN EXPANSION NOT LIKE THOSE OTHER COMPANIES" when other companies don't care about appealing to the Gamers™ and just sell it in a straightforward fashion.
-They don't stuff their $60 SP game with loot boxes that you can buy with real money. -this is a small portion of games, and a smaller portion of those games have loot boxes disruptive to gameplay. But still. Small portion. Loot boxes are an annoying trend where they are implemented though, true.
-They don't make you sign up for an account to their service on top of the digital distribution platform you already use. -yeah, this is annoying, but it is again only employed in a minority of games. EA has it in some of their games, but the main offenders are pretty much just Ubisoft and maybe Bethesda.
-They don't have obscene product crossovers that I'm aware of. -and this is... bad?
-They don't do third party DRM above and beyond your digital distribution platform. -this one is conditional. GoG is definitely a good thing, for starters. But the extreme majority of games just use the digital distribution platform for DRM. Plenty of AAA games use third party DRM, but the effects of those are still debated and in almost every case do not affect the paying consumer. Even in the case of them negatively impacting gameplay, most 3rd party DRM is removed soon after launch anyways.
Yes, some of the things you mentioned are definitely bad, but those are largely only found in games by premium AAA developers waaay bigger than CDPR. Pretty much every other developer at their caliber doesn't do this kind of stuff (and they don't exploit their workers), but they don't get circlejerked by the entire internet for it because they don't base their entire marketing on not doing it.

For the sake of keeping the threads about sales though, it's probably best to move discussion about this kind of thing to a separate thread. Sorry about my... mini-rants? Dunno.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15947 on: June 11, 2019, 11:54:34 pm »

While stocks last ;)
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15948 on: June 12, 2019, 05:34:19 am »

Microtransactions are justified if you're playing on company-funded servers*. Not sure about the lootbox model however. Lootboxes in a totally SP game on your own machine is retarded and not the problem microtransactions are actually a tool to solve.

* the reasoning here is that the box price should pay for the box only, SP players who just bought the game for the SP Campaign shouldn't have to subsidize the servers for anyone else, and people who use the servers more should pay more than people who play less. So it's perfectly fair for an online game to have a bit of free content but if you want to see it all in the online mode, you start to have to pay.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 05:36:39 am by Reelya »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15949 on: June 12, 2019, 05:58:48 am »

Microtransactions are justified
HERESY!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15950 on: June 12, 2019, 06:00:21 am »

Microtransactions are justified
HERESY!

Only play subscription games then.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #15951 on: June 12, 2019, 06:24:36 am »

I only accept macrotransactions.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15952 on: June 12, 2019, 06:36:16 am »

I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15953 on: June 12, 2019, 06:40:49 am »

You can wait a month for the exterminatus bar to fill, or pay EUR 2.5 to call it now.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15954 on: June 12, 2019, 06:55:10 am »

You can wait a month for the exterminatus bar to fill, or pay EUR 2.5 to call it now.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #15955 on: June 12, 2019, 09:32:35 am »

In an attempt to re-rail the thread, I wanted to post this gem of a link: https://isthereanydeal.com/?by=gamerating:desc
Lots of Top-Tier games with pretty decent discounts all over.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #15956 on: June 12, 2019, 10:03:04 am »

@Waffles
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15957 on: June 12, 2019, 12:44:50 pm »

I find it strange people make such a big deal out of people pre-ordering games.

People waste their money going to sports events
People waste their money on coffee shops
People waste their money on fast food (which is more expensive in a month if someone relies on fast food daily, than one single game)
People waste their money (and time) on electricity by watching netflix /tv/movies all day

Yes, but you go to a sports event for a particular matchup between teams. You don't go order a sports hoping for basketball, and get some strange variant of cricket a year later (unless there are delays, then it might be longer), then they re-balance it to be more like poker.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #15958 on: June 12, 2019, 12:51:56 pm »

I find it strange people make such a big deal out of people pre-ordering games.

People waste their money going to sports events
People waste their money on coffee shops
People waste their money on fast food (which is more expensive in a month if someone relies on fast food daily, than one single game)
People waste their money (and time) on electricity by watching netflix /tv/movies all day

Yes, but you go to a sports event for a particular matchup between teams. You don't go order a sports hoping for basketball, and get some strange variant of cricket a year later (unless there are delays, then it might be longer), then they re-balance it to be more like poker.
Well, some people do buy tickets well in advance and may be disappointed by the game but yeah it seems a stretch to compare the two

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #15959 on: June 13, 2019, 10:13:32 am »

Apparently Enter The Gungeon is being offered for free on the Epic Games Store.

Regardless of your opinions of the platform itself, the game is a pretty good roguelike about guns and puns. The final update, A Farewell to Arms, was released in early April this year.
Pages: 1 ... 1062 1063 [1064] 1065 1066 ... 1134