Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 975 976 [977] 978 979 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1453183 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread: GOG, Steam, Humble, your mom has games to buy
« Reply #14640 on: July 24, 2017, 09:48:44 pm »

Well I bought it, not particularly enamoured by it, gameplay-wise. Seems the most fun is figuring out decent combinations of party members, the best of which I have discovered so far is an antiquarian, vestal, bounty hunter and a man-at-arms. Dat sweet riposte.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14641 on: July 26, 2017, 12:33:39 pm »

There's similar talk going on on the DD thread, so might be worth going there to find out other people's thoughts on it.

Have to agree, the loot/progression system is rubbish but the game is definitely worth playing. I just got pissed off with RNG one too many times and stopped playing. I just never felt to be able to influence the odds enough sometimes to make it not just feel like pure luck (which I dislike in games).

I'm a seasoned Roguelike player so I completely understand/enjoy a bit of RNG, but when you get a whole party wipe from a few bad rolls it just doesn't feel like fun.
I ragequit DD on several occasions and finally asked myself, "why am I doing this? This is never fun, it is only infuriating." Never looked back.

Yeah, I ragequit one too many times and have uninstalled it. I think the problem is that I didn't really feel I was learning stuff - in DCSS/whateverRL I always feel like I can learn something from dying - even if it's just not to be so hasty. With DD I just had to hope the roll of the dice was better.

That being said, I know it's been improved on a lot since I last played so I might come back to it in 3-6 months.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14642 on: July 26, 2017, 07:34:34 pm »

For what it's worth, I played DD a few months ago and beat the game (default settings, non-radiant mode), and I enjoyed pretty much the whole ride. Unlocking new stuff was a bit grindy, but I found the actual gameplay fun enough to counterbalance it. Was also surprised with how forgiving stuff was regarding killing off your guys, considering all the dire tales I'd heard.

Definitely the kind of game that made me go "Nooo!" out loud at my screen a few times though. :P

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14643 on: July 26, 2017, 08:32:45 pm »

How long did that winning playthrough take? Ten hours, twenty, more? I know I keep hitting roadblocks that set me back a great deal, which often results in a restart.

And yet I keep going back. Never saw myself as a masochist...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #14644 on: July 26, 2017, 09:06:48 pm »

I enjoyed Darkest Dungeon a lot.  It got sort of tedious after I had made my way through all of the end game content except for the final dungeon, and it took a bunch of work to assemble my final winning team.  A lot of that was due to the harsh rng... but I feel like that's a necessary element to making the rest of the game as enjoyable as it was.  Those suspenseful moments where your team is barely hanging on by the skin of its teeth are what made the game so memorable, and gave a substance to the atmosphere and narration beyond just flavor.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14645 on: July 26, 2017, 09:43:11 pm »

Will say, I would be pretty okay with some kind of program that randomly spouted lines from that game over the course of a day. I'm not quite sure exactly what it is about the intonation, but the way some of those DoT kill lines come off is particularly enticing. "Great is the weapon that cuts on its own." indeed.

They should get on that, now that I think of it. Sorta' like a sound track dealio. Something you can seed a music playlist with.

... actually, now I'm wondering why that isn't a thing, 'cause I can't recall anyone doing that off the top of my head. I'm pretty damn sure there's a lot of games out there that folks would buy easily accessible voiceover pack style things for. It's usually something you can extract from a game if you're feeling frisky, but a lotta' folks don't feel that frisky.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14646 on: July 26, 2017, 10:03:47 pm »

If I was a YouTuber (I'm not, I just have a few videos of me fucking around with zero editing) then I would totally sprinkle in Ancestor lines where appropriate. The lines are so well-written and voiced and 'a moment of valor shines brightest against the backdrop of despair' and unf.

Unf I say. And also let those dirty beasts worship the mud now.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 10:05:35 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14647 on: July 26, 2017, 10:36:51 pm »

How long did that winning playthrough take? Ten hours, twenty, more? I know I keep hitting roadblocks that set me back a great deal, which often results in a restart.

Well... Steam says I have 95 hours on record, but that might have included some extended idling at the main screen. :P Sure don't remember it feeling like quite that long, anyhow.

What roadblocks would prompt a restart, though? Given the nature of the game, it seems like continuing with your current run would practically always be preferable. It gets easier to regain lost ground the further you get.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14649 on: July 27, 2017, 09:45:43 am »

Well... Steam says I have 95 hours on record, but that might have included some extended idling at the main screen. :P Sure don't remember it feeling like quite that long, anyhow.

What roadblocks would prompt a restart, though? Given the nature of the game, it seems like continuing with your current run would practically always be preferable. It gets easier to regain lost ground the further you get.
I have a bad habit of quitting and restarting games when things go against me. Something as simple as a party wipe can do the job, especially if said party contained some of my best heroes and RNG refused to let them succeed.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14650 on: July 27, 2017, 11:20:59 am »

I only restart if I lose Dismas
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14651 on: July 29, 2017, 05:04:00 am »

... actually, now I'm wondering why that isn't a thing, 'cause I can't recall anyone doing that off the top of my head. I'm pretty damn sure there's a lot of games out there that folks would buy easily accessible voiceover pack style things for. It's usually something you can extract from a game if you're feeling frisky, but a lotta' folks don't feel that frisky.

If you're going to do anything like that commercially, I'd expect you'd run into legal/licensing issues. Maybe you could skirt it, kind of like Tabletop Simulator, where you provide a standardized platform but users have to hint-hint-wink-wink provide the sound files.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14652 on: August 09, 2017, 05:24:17 pm »

The Standard and Premium edition of Eve Online are 50% off, at Humble Bundle :)

Oh, and of coruse, you can play "free to play", if you just want to try it. But the 50% off offer ends in 4.5 days

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14653 on: August 22, 2017, 08:41:44 pm »

I have a 50% off coupon for Dawn of War III, if anyone's interested. I'm not.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14654 on: August 22, 2017, 11:17:08 pm »

I have a 50% off coupon for Dawn of War III, if anyone's interested. I'm not.

I think half of Steam users at least got that coupon. May be the first time I've seen a AAA game not even a year old randomly sending out discount coupons. The surprise coupons I get are either from games I've never heard of, or games old enough they're already at a discount.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 975 976 [977] 978 979 ... 1134