Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 968 969 [970] 971 972 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1456520 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread: SUMMER SALES 2017 STICKERS GALORE
« Reply #14535 on: June 30, 2017, 11:11:28 pm »

I've heard people say that skyrim was better than oblivion. Mainly because oblivion was the turning point when the series started to get dumbed down while skyrim was just an iteration of this new formula. Correct me if I'm wrong, I've played neither so I would like to hear the arguments for why oblivion was the better game.

Oblivion has: (compared to Skyrim, IMO.)

+++ Way better DLC. ('cept horse armor lol.)

+ Better Magic.

+ Better Story.

+ Better Quests.

+ Better Characters.

= Equal Combat.

- Worse graphics. (Just weird looking really, Bethesda did NOT understand faces.)

- Kind of empty cities.

- Hit-or-miss dungeons.

--- Lacking some of the hidden charm in the world compared to both Skyrim AND Morrowind.

*Shivering Isles is fucking amazing though and is basically the best DLC ever made for a game.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14536 on: June 30, 2017, 11:32:53 pm »

I've heard people say that skyrim was better than oblivion. Mainly because oblivion was the turning point when the series started to get dumbed down while skyrim was just an iteration of this new formula. Correct me if I'm wrong, I've played neither so I would like to hear the arguments for why oblivion was the better game.

Oblivion has: (compared to Skyrim, IMO.)

+++ Way better DLC. ('cept horse armor lol.)

+ Better Magic.

+ Better Story.

+ Better Quests.

+ Better Characters.

= Equal Combat.

- Worse graphics. (Just weird looking really, Bethesda did NOT understand faces.)

- Kind of empty cities.

- Hit-or-miss dungeons.

--- Lacking some of the hidden charm in the world compared to both Skyrim AND Morrowind.

*Shivering Isles is fucking amazing though and is basically the best DLC ever made for a game.

Sorry, but you've got to be joking. Unless you're just treating Shivering Isles as Oblivion and ignoring the rest of the game.

Would add more to magic and a minus to random encounters. Magic wasn't as broken as Morrowind, but Skyrim's total lack of spellcrafting is atrocious. Random bandits running around in full top-tier gear is pretty awful too.

Also --- to Dungeons. Literally just three dungeons with segments copy-pasted in different orders. Yeah, Skyrim has dungeon tilesets too, but there are more types and there is a decent degree of hand-crafted unique features in a lot of them. Once you've seen one Fort, Ayleid Ruin, and Cave, you've seen literally every dungeon in Oblivion. Skyrim's dungeons are generally shit too, but in a different and less egregious way (an intensely high degree of linearity, mostly).

Oblivion overworld is total shit as well. Endless mildly-green broadleaf forests. Every body of water full of things to encourage you to never, ever swim. Joy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14537 on: June 30, 2017, 11:37:24 pm »

I mean, I'm not gonna fight you on the story thing. Asides from the Cameron Markon(?) section where you go to paradise--which is trash--I think it's a pretty lit story. Morrowind's story is great too I think. With a lot of good lore surrounding it. Skryim's story on the other hand feels lazy and is associated with some ill-conceived retconning for me.

Other than that I think we can agree on things lol.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #14538 on: July 01, 2017, 03:26:57 am »

Skyrim was an iteration of Oblivion, they're both mainly the same thing.  Skyrim has better graphics and learned some lessons from Oblivion.  The general setting and tone of each is different, Oblivion is a generic green fantasy world being overcome by red and black evil, Skyrim is about the same thing but Norse styled and bloody-minded.   The similarities far outstrip the differences in everything except graphics.  Every game in the series is a hot mess especially on release, and 95% of the people you meet will be apathetic assholes.

If I had to argue why Skyrim is a worse game it would be because thieving is incredibly boring.  You can loot every castle in the land bare with 0 stat investment.  No one even tries to stop you.  I liked being a thief in Oblivion, even if there were easy ways to break it.

The controversy around Oblivion mostly centers around the jarring transition from Morrowind.  But the thing is that as jarring as that transition is, the Daggerfall to Morrowind transition is more jarring.  In fact Oblivion makes more sense as a Daggerfall sequel than Morrowind does.  Morrowind is the odd one out but people have a hard time seeing that because, well, no one really played Daggerfall.  You almost literally couldn't on release and even after all these years of fixes there's still no pathfinding.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14539 on: July 01, 2017, 06:41:14 am »

Just noticed. DOOM 2016 is $15. Doom Classic Complete is $3.74. Jagged Alliance 2 Gold is $3.99. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is $12.

3. Run Resize Enable

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14540 on: July 01, 2017, 07:23:24 am »

I've tried to make use of Steam bundle rebates, to make some items at a good enough sale for buying. The idea is to find a part of the bundle at the cheapest price possible (i.e. the part of it that's cheaper at GMG or similar), then buy it there, and complete the bundle over at steam (for the part that is cheaper there), to get more than 50% off at the sale. It only works if there's already a bundle suggestion on steam though. Usually works for Paradox titles.

What I got on sale now:

- Some paradox DLCs bundles.
- Depth
- Nation Pack Bundle for Red Dragon (good MP game, but a bit stressful if you don't like losing :) )
- Metro Redux Bundle
- Doom

Also thinking about Shadow Warrior 2 (which is rebated if you already got the first one).

If you haven't played Syrian Warfare yet, I would recommend it, it's on sale.

"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14541 on: July 01, 2017, 07:49:57 am »

...the Daggerfall to Morrowind transition is more jarring.

The departure of Lefay, the arrival of Kirkbride, and switching engines from XnGine to Gamebryo probably have something to do with that.

Daggerfall (compared to Arena) gave us a more interesting story and background, random quests, better character creation, "Halt!", a single overworld, and 3D environments, but also useless skills, nonfunctional factional intrigue, nonsensical proceduraly generated dungeons, less diversity in the world, a featureless overworld, no PASSWALL, and bugs galore.

Battlespire and Redguard are not worth mentioning.

Morrowind gave us 3D graphics, a more exotic story and background, loads of history, more diverse loot, a handcrafted world, handcrafted dungeons, proper modding, reduced level scaling, neatly categorized skills, voices, simplified interaction with the Daedra, alchemy, the ability to place anything anywhere in the world, and compelling side quests, but also a significantly smaller environment with no real ability to just get lost in the world forever, no random quests, highly simplified character creation, emptier cities, no ability to ask NPCs for directions or their opinions, simplified interaction with the Daedra, no horses nor carts, no fast travel, no banks, and fewer useful skills (and largely discarded the nonfunctional bits of Daggerfall).

Oblivion gave us fancy graphics and physics, Radiant AI and NPC schedules, NPCs talking to each other, gear modification, runestones and doomstones, celebrity appearances, a return of horses (but still no carts), a return of fast travel, active blocking, and a more grounded and understandable story and background, but also paid DLC, fewer skills, fewer spells, simplified combat, increased level scaling, an almost featureless landscape, celebrity appearances, the lockpicking and persuasion minigames, no container traps, unsafe loot containers, a less diverse world, closed cities, and arguably resulted in something closer to an action game dependent on player ability than an RPG dependent on character development.

Skyrim gave us even fancier graphics and physics, streamlined combat, shouts, dragons, perks, a return of randomized quests in a reduced capacity, and a slightly edgy and gritty story and background, but also even fewer skills, fewer spells, no spell making, no persuasion whatsoever, significantly reduced the presence of guilds, and arguably further became more of an action game than an RPG.

(I'm sure there are things I've missed or not gotten correctly.)

In short, each game is significantly different from the last, and people tend to get strong opinions about what was better. The only thing strongly tying them together is the background, story, and lore, not the gameplay. So, from a gameplay perspective, everyone might be better off ignoring that they are prequels/sequels of one another; or in other words, one shouldn't consider Oblivion to be "improved Morrowind" when deciding which game to play (and the plots aren't even tied together except for here and there in the background).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14542 on: July 01, 2017, 08:26:03 am »

Skyrim brought back trapped chests.

3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14543 on: July 01, 2017, 04:29:13 pm »

Civ VI is good but infuriatingly unpolished. [snip] The best way I can describe it is More Civ.
Didn't notice anyone mention it, so a day ago or not... mods. Seriously, check out mods. I've put a few days worth of hours into Civ 4 and have never started a vanilla game. There's some pretty good stuff out there.

Related to that, if you didn't get the DLC with it, maybe keep an eye out for 'em going cheap(er). Iirc there's only two that were particularly important (beyond the sword and... something else), but having them opens up your access to player made stuff fairly significantly and so far as I'm personally concerned the base game can go drown in a ditch, dem mods be where that game's value is comin' from.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14544 on: July 01, 2017, 04:52:43 pm »

VI is 6, IV is 4. :P

That said, if you've got any mod recs for either I'd be interested. I got some mileage out of FFH, but the clunkiness and hyperspecific lore were irksome. And the "barbarians will wreck your shit the first few games until you learn to spam military early, this is good game design, in fact have a named champion to do even more of that" thing.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14545 on: July 01, 2017, 06:53:50 pm »

... yeah, that was my eyes screwing up again. Whoops. Really need to get around to getting a (waaay overdue) checkup, heh. Don't think I have 6, but I can't quite remember and don't feel like checking, ahaha.

So far as C4 mods, if FFH wasn't too terrible, you might check out Master of Mana -- it's a derivative of FFH, but imo rather significantly better put together and whatnot. Then there's the Caves2cosmos (if I'm not misremembering the name) thing, a few sci-fi ones I'm forgetting... probably other stuff. Somewhere floating around the net there's a solid list of pretty much all of them, with a decent summary and current dev status and such. Or was a year or three back, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14546 on: July 02, 2017, 12:36:39 am »

IronyOwl, about Civ6 : when using ranged units, use the attack button from the bottom right menu to target the enemies, it will make sure you don't get the "moving instead of attacking" bug.

And as with the other Civ Games, don't forget the mods : https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=289070&browsesort=toprated&section=readytouseitems
I personally love the CQUI mod, which enhances the interface of the game without changing the gameplay.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14547 on: July 02, 2017, 01:59:48 am »

Stranger's Wrath crashes if you unfocus the window, which is pretty damning at least for me.
Shoes...

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14548 on: July 02, 2017, 03:25:21 am »

Picked up Crisis in the Kremlin.

Game is very unpolished, but seems to have depth, and some good research behind it.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14549 on: July 02, 2017, 03:35:43 am »

Picked up Crisis in the Kremlin.

Game is very unpolished, but seems to have depth, and some good research behind it.
Is it any good compared to the original?  I was a bit curious when I first learned that it had been remade, but word had otherwise been quiet since.
Pages: 1 ... 968 969 [970] 971 972 ... 1134