Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 963 964 [965] 966 967 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1456352 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #14460 on: June 22, 2017, 01:39:01 pm »

Yeah, I'm afraid you're preaching to the choir. The folks over at Valve don't seem interested in dropping cash (regardless of how little it will affect their massive paychecks) to buff the servers for relatively brief outages at the start of each big sale, especially when things continue to work fine on regular days. They ought to, but they won't.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14461 on: June 22, 2017, 01:40:17 pm »

'Once or twice a year I have to wait an hour or two to buy my entertainment'
#first world problems.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14462 on: June 22, 2017, 01:41:59 pm »

'Once or twice a year I have to wait an hour or two to buy my entertainment'
#first world problems.

pretty much.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14463 on: June 22, 2017, 01:49:55 pm »

If I feel like bitching about Steam being self absorbed money-grubbing douches that's my prerogative.  They may already be the industry leaders, but that doesn't mean that people have to put up with their shit.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14464 on: June 22, 2017, 01:51:51 pm »

If I feel like bitching about Steam being self absorbed money-grubbing douches that's my prerogative.  They may already be the industry leaders, but that doesn't mean that people have to put up with their shit.

I mean it's your deal man, but honestly? Steam is pretty fuckin lit. What shit do people have to put up with? I've basically never had a bad experience with Steam, they've even been extremely fast to refund my purchases when i've decided I've made a wrong buy.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14465 on: June 22, 2017, 01:58:33 pm »

Steam does do certain things well, the refund system is a good example, but that only makes the things they do poorly look even worse, like Greenlight's cottage industry built around the trading card system (which will hopefully be going extinct soon).  Their complete lack of quality control and insistence that they aren't responsible for the products they're selling.  And with just a few moments of digging I KNOW I could find any number of issues.

I don't particularly want to use Steam for anything, but I do want to play games, and that increasingly means being tied to Valve's platform, so if I am going to have to use their service for the things I want to do, then I would like that service to be GOOD at it's basic job, not good at a few things and mediocre to shit at everything else.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14466 on: June 22, 2017, 02:01:12 pm »

I want to know what are the best deals to take now that are on sale.

Granted, I have to spend time reading reviews of the type of games I might like. 

I did pick up quite  few games in the past 3 sales, and I played most, but some are just maybe less than 4 hours played when I went to play something else.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14467 on: June 22, 2017, 02:07:49 pm »

@NullForceOmega,

But it IS good at it's BASIC JOB, which is selling you games and keeping them organized for you. They're easy to launch and most of them are DRM free. Sooooo... it seems like your mad about something else. I can understand frustration over server lag during the Summer Sale, but that would be like getting mad at Walmart for not spending bucketloads of cash to expand their facilities immensely for a few days a year--it's just not worth it for either party.

Greenlight's a mess, but then I never understood why people bought and traded Steam Trading Cards to begin with? And to be fair, Steam is essentially just a digital marketplace, no one is forcing you to buy shitty games.

As for being tied to Steam, it seems like you can get most games available on Steam elsewhere these days. So I don't know what you're on about.

@Sanctume,

TW: Warhammer is 66% off which is pretty lit. FM17 is 66% off if you're into that. Tyranny 50%, Torment: Tides of Numeria 50%, Witcher 3 40%, Darkest Dungeon 60%, GTAV 50%, Bloodbowl 2 66%, CIV6 40%, Stardew Valley 40%, Valve Complete Pack 92%.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14468 on: June 22, 2017, 02:18:44 pm »

Urist McScoopbeard:  Buy them elsewhere yes, but the vast majority of what you are buying is still just a Steam key, that then requires you to use Steam to actually play the game.  And it isn't even remotely 'good' at it's basic job, the Storefront is a joke, searching for specific titles presents you with one of the most difficult to read lists of direct and tangentially related items, it mixes DLC with core games and movies and the stupid tag system barely functions.  There are so very, very many problems with Steam that I actually cannot conceive of an effective way to detail them without going into a pages long dissertation on them.

But it does do a good job of keeping the games you have in your library sorted, no argument there.  Actually, the library is by far the single best implemented portion of the client, it does its work incredibly and I have no complaints with it.

Regarding your comparison, Walmarts are already built to function way past their expected usage, or have you never walked into one and wondered why more than half of their checkout lanes are always closed (caveat: I have no idea where you live and it is entirely possible that your local Walmart is substantially smaller or busier than the majority of those that I have seen)?  Not really a good example there.

And I'm not mad, just irritated, they have the resources at their disposal to make this a non-issue, and they won't because it would ever so slightly cut into their profits.  That mentality is very much one of my peeves with corporate (and to a larger extent capitalist) culture.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:36:25 pm by NullForceOmega »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14469 on: June 22, 2017, 02:38:30 pm »

There are so many things wrong with the booze store I buy from, I actually cannot conceive of an effective way to detail them without going into a pages long dissertation on them. Yes, they have the best choice of ales on the planet, and they're practically next door, no argument there. But the beer they sell is 0.5 degrees Celsius too warm, it takes me in excess of 5 seconds (!) to find the lager I want in their disorganised fridges, their regional ales section is using this dumb bottle recycling system, and each time they put up a discount, the queue is, like, 3 people long. Why can't they hire another cashier?

Oh, man, this is fun. Let's bitch some more about stuff. Pizza, maybe? The complimentary ketchup I get from the parlour down the street is kinda bland. This doesn't make me mad, you know. It just irritates me almost as much as people bitching about their privileged lives.
Get some perspective.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14470 on: June 22, 2017, 02:41:01 pm »

That remark is incredibly ironic considering where you are placing it right now.  I can discuss whatever I like, and you have no say in it, at all.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14471 on: June 22, 2017, 02:41:10 pm »

Can we fucking not.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #14472 on: June 22, 2017, 02:42:49 pm »

Back on topic - a bit disappointed at the minimal sales on CK2 and Stellaris DLC. Hollow Knight's a bit cheaper and I have heard nothing but praise. Transistor's 2 bucks and I've heard about that before. And as mentioned, Total War: Warhammer is on sale. My poor, poor wallet.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14473 on: June 22, 2017, 02:51:22 pm »

That remark is incredibly ironic considering where you are placing it right now.  I can discuss whatever I like, and you have no say in it, at all.
This is the SALES thread. It's for discussion SALES. The Steam summer sale just goddamn started.

Go away.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14474 on: June 22, 2017, 02:55:24 pm »

This is the SALES thread. It's for discussion SALES. The Steam summer sale just goddamn started.

Go away.

I said something about the fact that Steam's storefront is barely functioning, which is directly related due to the Summer Sale, and a different person entirely decided to make it about #firstworldproblems, and I'm the one who needs to go away?

How about no.

Edit: In deference to the stated rules of the OP, I will refrain from further comment about Steam beyond it's relevance to sales.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:58:56 pm by NullForceOmega »

Pages: 1 ... 963 964 [965] 966 967 ... 1134