Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 955 956 [957] 958 959 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1456127 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #14340 on: May 02, 2017, 11:22:27 am »

A VPN IS a step up from nothing.

It's the old trade off - I can boot up tails, use a headless browser and go through two dozen tor nodes and no one will identify me yet my browsing experience will be awful, horrendously slow and pretty pointless.

A VPN is enough for most people - it stops random websites logging your IP address, it protects you from ISPs being forced to give over all your browsing history at the whim of some random agency and it won't affect your browsing experience. It also stops traffic throttling and allows you to bypass geo-blocks.

Sure, the VPN can harvest your browsing information and whatever, but their entire business is built around NOT doing that. I'm sure some do, but the reputable ones wouldn't risk it. If even one of the people who they tried to sell the info too ratted on them, it's game over for their entire business.

Fingerpriiinnttttiiinnnngggggg

Device fingerprinting is a joke. The companies that sell it are peddling snake oil (unless you're talking about just aggregate fingerprinting). Same with 'VPN/Tor detection' - it's all based on 'known exits', which can change daily.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14341 on: May 02, 2017, 04:47:03 pm »

Darksiders 1(Warmastered Edition) & 2(Deathfinitive Edition) are on sale at Steam, due to the announce of Darksiders 3.

Also noteworthy from the frontpage of my Steam store: Battlefleet Gothic is 60% off.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14342 on: May 02, 2017, 04:52:33 pm »

There's also a big Star wars sale going on at Steam.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14343 on: May 03, 2017, 05:23:40 am »

I feel sorry for the people who actually wasted money on this garbage https://www.humblebundle.com/happy-pc-software-bundle

27 thousand suckers (and counting). Jeez.

They should have had WinRar in the bundle, not WinZip.

Why? 7zip is free.

It was a play on the meme that no one pays for WinRar.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14344 on: May 03, 2017, 09:38:20 am »

GOG.com is having a huge Star Wars sale, probably because of May the Fourth.

https://www.gog.com/promo/20170502_special_promo_star_wars
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14345 on: May 03, 2017, 10:42:15 am »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14346 on: May 03, 2017, 10:55:23 am »

Crashlands has really good dialogue and humor, and very wacky gear, but it gets repetitive and a bit grindy.
I'm really curious about that Fallout lookalike tho. Not sure if it merits (to me) getting the entire bundle.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14347 on: May 03, 2017, 12:17:35 pm »

I like They Bleed Pixels, but I don't have a ton of platforming experience to compare it to. It has an amazing Lovecraftian aesthetic, but/and it's brutally difficult (for me, anyway) and gets a bit repetitive at times. Good concepts, but unfortunately linear.

As an example of this, there's an awesome combo system where you get more points for chaining your attacks, so punching a monster to death gives you less blood or sigil power or whatever than kicking them into the air and chain-punching them off a cliff. When you cap that out, you form a checkpoint wherever you're standing (after a moment of standing still, so you can choose where it goes so long as you keep on the move). That's a neat, organic way to reward interesting combat.

Unfortunately, the game features so many death mazes that the only real spots to put a checkpoint are often pretty preordained, right between the floating spike island jump chain on moving platforms while being hunted by air squid and the wall hopping over spikes while being chased by sawblades corridor. So the game ends up with far less focus on combat and far more on really precise platforming than I'd like, and far less open-endedness and far more rigorous challenge-completing than I'd like.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14348 on: May 03, 2017, 12:28:40 pm »

Hacknet's good, but what I remember the most about They Bleed Pixels would be this particular run where the dev is confused.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14349 on: May 04, 2017, 04:46:15 pm »

Not a sale, but sales-related:

There's some news today from Chez Gaben...  Gifting changes that include no-more-squirreling. (RPS article)...(Valve blog)

This is gonna put a bit of a crimp in our giveaways, making key sellers like Humble and Bundlestars more useful for storing gift copies.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14350 on: May 04, 2017, 06:42:03 pm »

Well, that and previous difficulties I've had from them removed most of the last bit of convenience Steam offers. I guess I just won't be participating in giveaways for the forseeable future. Sucks for them, but I'm sure my absence won't be noticed.

How is this supposed to kill off pricks like G2A again?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14351 on: May 04, 2017, 07:09:50 pm »

How is this supposed to kill off pricks like G2A again?

They can't buy up a ton of games as nebulous gifts and sit on them or immediately repost them to their sites. They cannot gift these things to a master account because the master account either has to accept the game and make it part of their library, or it's returned to the sender as an automatic refund.

I seriously doubt this will be the death knell for guys like G2A, but it has put a real crimp in the "legitimate" side of their business. I don't see a way around it, unless G2A be like, "Yo, click the game link and buy it on our web page and gimmie your steamid, and I'll send you the game via a Steam gift." That'd be directly actionable by Valve, I'd imagine. Or maybe that's how it's worked all along, I dunno. I wonder if the ability to email Steam gifts will change now too, if they have to be on the platform to accept gifts.

My hat is off to Valve for rather simply finding a way to plug a hole that was key flippers pillaging Steam. Took 'em long enough. I imagine a lot of devs across the board are going to see their sales drop somewhat though, since there's no more bots vacuuming up cheap games and storing them as gifts or keys anymore. This also comes on the tail of reworking how developers are able to give out keys as well, because of the notorious little "Keys for up votes!" shenanigans of some indie devs.

Steam is such a fascinating little market ecosystem. Bummer about the impact it will have on giveaways though. People can still honestly do them, they just have to commit up front to the money all at once, and it's a lot more work to figure out what you'll buy so you can offer it during a giveaway.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 07:12:50 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14352 on: May 04, 2017, 07:31:14 pm »

Giveaways may just have to be key only.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14353 on: May 04, 2017, 07:39:48 pm »

Yeah all that makes sense. I've never messed with key buying so I wasn't familiar with how it worked.

From where, though? stock up on Humble WinZip bundles throughout the year? I've had at last one of my HB keys expire on me in the past.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14354 on: May 04, 2017, 08:36:03 pm »

Yeah all that makes sense. I've never messed with key buying so I wasn't familiar with how it worked.

From where, though? stock up on Humble WinZip bundles throughout the year? I've had at last one of my HB keys expire on me in the past.

Free keys always expire. It's use them or lose them with Humble and other venues.
Pages: 1 ... 955 956 [957] 958 959 ... 1134