Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 954 955 [956] 957 958 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1456040 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #14325 on: May 01, 2017, 05:46:10 pm »

What happened?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14326 on: May 01, 2017, 05:58:25 pm »

Doesn't look any different from a regular humble bundle to me. Most of it is crap that you never use, maybe one or two things that you want at like $1 or more.

I'm actually using ease Todo backup right now as we speak to clone a drive into an ssd.

And a year of VPN for $8 seems pretty good to me.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14327 on: May 02, 2017, 12:25:03 am »

Except a vpn really only transfers who is watching and potentially logging your traffic from your ISP to the VPN provider.

and https://twitter.com/swiftonsecurity/status/847607986147041284?lang=en
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14328 on: May 02, 2017, 04:42:48 am »

I feel sorry for the people who actually wasted money on this garbage https://www.humblebundle.com/happy-pc-software-bundle

27 thousand suckers (and counting). Jeez.

They should have had WinRar in the bundle, not WinZip.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14329 on: May 02, 2017, 04:56:49 am »

Except a vpn really only transfers who is watching and potentially logging your traffic from your ISP to the VPN provider.

Not quite. The fact that SwiftOn Security has said 'The solution to internet privacy is HTTPS' shows how useless their opinion is, however I will agree that they are sort of onto something on the 'like an ISP' thing.

In some countries (like the UK) ISPs are required by law to keep logs of every website you visit - VPN providers are not, and many attest to not keeping logs at all (it's debatable if they do, but many do allow for audits and the like). More than that, if your VPN provider is based in a country that doesn't have data extradition laws, they can't be pressured into giving over logs even if they have them. They'd also lose all business immediately if it was found out they were giving out data.

However, the real security comes from stopping random websites and services identifying you. If I go on to www.badbadwebsitenumber42.scam, their log of me is the VPN IP address (as long as I've done things like use a Random User Agent plugin) which I share with hundreds/thousands of others, instead of my home IP address which is likely unique to me (or a couple of others max). Same with Bittorrent, and the same with any other service.

They also have extra useful features above the standard. The most useful for me is that it allows me to connect to websites and see localised content. For more security conscious people, my VPN does 'Tor over VPN', which means that I connect firstly through a VPN, and then through a Tor connection. This is useful as my ISP would definitely flag me if I used Tor on it's own.

You get this for all of like £5 a month max. Basically, regardless of how secure they are, they're a hell of a lot more secure than just using your ISP. Use HTTPS everywhere, use Random User Agent, but DEFINITELY USE A VPN.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14330 on: May 02, 2017, 06:18:14 am »

However, the real security comes from stopping random websites and services identifying you. If I go on to www.badbadwebsitenumber42.scam, their log of me is the VPN IP address (as long as I've done things like use a Random User Agent plugin) which I share with hundreds/thousands of others, instead of my home IP address which is likely unique to me (or a couple of others max).
Fingerpriiinnttttiiinnnngggggg
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14331 on: May 02, 2017, 08:49:22 am »

VPN isn't enough. Gotta use Tor and randomize your browsing and downloading patterns to help circumvent two-point spy if you're somehow important enough for people to be monitoring your connection and searching for matching traffic from their network.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14332 on: May 02, 2017, 09:04:11 am »

What's the difference between using tor and encrypted VPN?
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14333 on: May 02, 2017, 09:31:54 am »

I feel sorry for the people who actually wasted money on this garbage https://www.humblebundle.com/happy-pc-software-bundle

Why? 7zip is free.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14334 on: May 02, 2017, 09:52:34 am »

Hey, sales.

The Uncertain: Episode 1 - The Last Quiet Day is on sale. Played it with my wife. Would not recommend.

The acting seems kind of stiff, which is perfectly immersive given the nature of all of the characters. It also makes all of the dialogue a dull slog to get through. Puzzles are basically nonexistent and those that are there aren't very fun.

I regret to inform you that this game is no longer on sale. Ignore.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14335 on: May 02, 2017, 09:57:41 am »

What's the difference between using tor and encrypted VPN?
As stated, a VPN is essentially just a second ISP which encrypts your traffic and masks your IP address-no protection from spying within the company providing it, for example.

Tor uses what's called onion routing, where it sets up encryption keys between you and a minimum of three random nodes from the Tor international network, bouncing through the nodes decrypting as it goes-the last jump, from the final node to your destination, is unencrypted. The idea is that no point in the chain can identify both the start and end point for your data.

Tor is vastly superior for anonymous browsing, but a VPN provides data security (so long as you can trust it). So ferex a journo in an authoritarian shithole would want Tor, a government official sending top secret files would want a state-run VPN. Free VPNs (and potentially commercial ones) can track and sell your browsing history and patterns just fine, so Tor is generally better for private individuals.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14336 on: May 02, 2017, 10:00:15 am »

GOG is having a Star Wars sale. Can't link right now since I'm on my phone.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14337 on: May 02, 2017, 10:17:10 am »

Why? 7zip is free.

Why/how would Humble Bundle sell something that's free?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14338 on: May 02, 2017, 10:44:25 am »

Why? 7zip is free.

Why/how would Humble Bundle sell something that's free?

They wouldn't. But asking to be sold one of two options when there is a free third option that can handle the same files? Plus winrar has had some security flaws in it. There was a time when winrar made executibles that would go to sites in order to download worms/malware.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14339 on: May 02, 2017, 10:52:36 am »

Thread for steam sales and discussions to see if they are worth it.
Pages: 1 ... 954 955 [956] 957 958 ... 1134