Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 946 947 [948] 949 950 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1455324 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #14205 on: March 24, 2017, 09:29:15 am »

Any point to the reduxes if you already have the originals? Better graphics would not be a point in my book.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14206 on: March 24, 2017, 01:20:19 pm »

Any point to the reduxes if you already have the originals? Better graphics would not be a point in my book.
It runs smoother most of the time, as it's far better optimized than the originals. The AI is also less unfair, making sneaking more viable, which is nice, since you're heavily encouraged to use stealth in a lot of situations.

I don't know if there are any other changes aside from graphical updates.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14207 on: March 24, 2017, 02:03:15 pm »

I echo Nighthawks sentiment - it's much better optimised, a lot of bugs and jankiness have been squashed and the AI seems much better.

Whilst graphical updates aren't usually something that I care about, this one does add a lot of sort of 'meaningful' graphical changes - like rain/mud on your mask obscuring the view and stuff - it seems slightly inconsequential, but it does add a lot of immersion and sort of effects game play a bit. I did also find the original was quite graphically muddy in places which this tightened up.

For the price, I think it's well worth it even if you have the originals.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14208 on: March 24, 2017, 02:19:20 pm »

The reduxes also include all the DLC.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14209 on: March 27, 2017, 03:37:48 pm »

crossposta from the free thread:

As a promo to their new title Mirage: Arcane Warfare, the devs have made Chivalry - Medieval Warfare free for a day.

Claim it in the next 20-ish hours, keep it forever.  (direct link to steam)
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #14210 on: March 28, 2017, 01:00:59 am »

Hey, thanks for the head-sup! I've had half an eye on that for a while, but heard so many terrible things I didn't want to spend money. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14211 on: March 28, 2017, 08:52:39 am »

Chivalry reviews are full of casuls whining about people being better than them. This is literally the first time I've ever wanted to play it, I'm sold.

3. Run Resize Enable

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14212 on: March 28, 2017, 09:05:40 am »

Not all the complaints are unfounded. A lot of the game's meta lies in weird techniques that weren't necessarily intended by the developers. For example, you can start a horizontal slice with a weapon, then swing your camera to make your weapon swing faster, or slower. Same with any other swing-type attack. This isn't so much a feature as it is an unintended effect that people take advantage of. It's not really an intuitive thing either, as you want to keep your camera on your opponent in most games about close combat, but a lot of the time if you're a newbie, you'll end up getting destroyed by people who use this technique to rapidly stunlock combo you, which can be pretty disheartening.

It can be fun, but the game isn't designed to be super intuitive, and getting into it late in its life could be pretty difficult.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #14213 on: March 28, 2017, 09:08:35 am »

a lot of the time if you're a newbie, you'll end up getting destroyed by people who use this technique to rapidly stunlock combo you, which can be pretty disheartening.

Remember that this is Bay12. It's kind of the home of "Losing is fun" :P

In any case, while I've had problems fighting in the past, it isn't too bad if you stick to low rank severs and Dark Souls it. That is, Git Gud.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14214 on: March 28, 2017, 09:22:13 am »

Not all the complaints are unfounded. A lot of the game's meta lies in weird techniques that weren't necessarily intended by the developers. For example, you can start a horizontal slice with a weapon, then swing your camera to make your weapon swing faster, or slower. Same with any other swing-type attack. This isn't so much a feature as it is an unintended effect that people take advantage of. It's not really an intuitive thing either, as you want to keep your camera on your opponent in most games about close combat, but a lot of the time if you're a newbie, you'll end up getting destroyed by people who use this technique to rapidly stunlock combo you, which can be pretty disheartening.

It can be fun, but the game isn't designed to be super intuitive, and getting into it late in its life could be pretty difficult.

That's an old technique that predates Chivalry. Completely normal tech from Mount & Blade that could increase damage and make it more difficult to block. Also pretty basic, and in principle similar to dead-angling techs in games like Dark Souls.

Which pretty much confirms my opinion of the whiners as casuls who want melee combat games to be R1 spam-fests like Skyrim where all that matters are raw stats. I'd like to see them try fighting seasoned old M&B duelists who've been practicing their manual blocks and feints for nine years, the salt would be enough to pay a legion.

3. Run Resize Enable

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #14215 on: March 28, 2017, 09:25:09 am »

You can do feints in M&B?

Not that there's stamina to limit it with, but still.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14216 on: March 28, 2017, 09:33:49 am »

Manually, yes. There's no "feint button". Here's a pretty good overview of basic feint techs in Warband.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:36:06 am by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14217 on: March 28, 2017, 04:40:07 pm »

The expound on what the rather nice linked video explains, to feint in M&B, you start swinging your weapon, but block during the animation, then switch to an attack from another angle. If done correctly, you should pull smoothly into the second attack pose. Meanwhile, your opponent will attempt to be blocking the first attack, and either be bit hit from an angle they're not defending from(assuming no shield), or drop their guard to strike you and get hit. While I doubt I can do it fast enough for multiplayer, it works pretty well on bots.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14218 on: March 31, 2017, 06:57:23 pm »

ARK: Survival Evolved is 67% off until April 3rd.  That's down to $9.89, so I think I'll check it out.  The expansion pack is on sale too (or 50% off by itself) but I'm holding off.
Apparently they just did a big update of some sort.

("feinting" in M&B drives me up the wall, or specifically, away from multiplayer.  It clearly takes skill, but it looks silly and I don't care to learn it)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14219 on: March 31, 2017, 07:05:20 pm »

Eh, it's dead simple. Literally just attack->block->attack, takes more effort to get your directional attacks into muscle memory.

Scorched Earth is definitely worthwhile, it's practically a different game and much more challenging than vanilla ARK. If you do multiplayer the lack of pteras and quetzes makes the PvP meta 1000% times less shit.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 946 947 [948] 949 950 ... 1134