Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 944 945 [946] 947 948 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1455203 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #14175 on: March 07, 2017, 08:43:53 am »

Aw, I missed the Devolver sale ):
They're selling Civilization 3-5 now though, $15 gets Beyond Earth with Rising Tide.
https://www.humblebundle.com/civilization-bundle
If nothing else, a buck for civ 4 is a pretty damn good deal if y'don't already have it. Dem mods...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14176 on: March 07, 2017, 09:08:48 am »

If nothing else, a buck for civ 4 is a pretty damn good deal if y'don't already have it. Dem mods...

It is pretty amazing.  I was willing to throw a buck at it just to have a Steam backup to my physical keys.

On that note, I'm never going to play Civ 3.  Anyone want it?  First to PM me gets it.  Gone.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 10:52:32 am by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14177 on: March 11, 2017, 01:00:45 pm »

Steam has Distant Worlds for just under $20 US for this weekend.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14178 on: March 12, 2017, 09:49:16 am »

Just a note on that it apparently takes a lot of fiddling with to get working on windows 10. It's all based on old libraries and needs stuff like windows internet explorer and windows media player to run properly, and there are a lot of reports of it just not working.

As always, it's a fantastic game, but Slitherine are just ridiculous with their pricing most of the time - especially considering it doesn't run well on new machines. Worth it if you have an older machine, but I wouldn't risk it (or be prepared to put in a lot of work/get a refund) if you're on a new machine.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 01:21:50 pm by Retropunch »
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14179 on: March 12, 2017, 10:17:00 am »

Just a note on that it apparently takes a lot of fiddling with to get working on windows 10. It's all based on old libraries and needs stuff like windows explorer and windows media player to run properly, and there are a lot of reports of it just not working.

As always, it's a fantastic game, but Slitherine are just ridiculous with their pricing most of the time - especially considering it doesn't run well on new machines. Worth it if you have an older machine, but I wouldn't risk it (or be prepared to put in a lot of work/get a refund) if you're on a new machine.
So I saw your post and decided to test this. I am on a win10 machine, never installed DW:U on here before. I installed it via steam, ran it, and started a game. I didn't need to do any fiddling at all. I don't know why you had trouble, but it apparently isn't universal as mine started up without issue.

For what you get, this is a great price point.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14180 on: March 12, 2017, 11:20:08 am »

So I saw your post and decided to test this. I am on a win10 machine, never installed DW:U on here before. I installed it via steam, ran it, and started a game. I didn't need to do any fiddling at all. I don't know why you had trouble, but it apparently isn't universal as mine started up without issue.

For what you get, this is a great price point.

I was playing on a pretty much fresh install of win10 so that was probably it - it requires XNA stuff (plus a few other bits) which is now abandoned by Microsoft so it doesn't come as standard. You may or may not have picked up the latest stuff with other game/software installs, but some won't. Seems like a lot of others had problems in the comment section as well - certainly not a big issue, but might be if you're not too tech-savvy or can't be bothered to fiddle about/don't want lots of extra stuff
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14181 on: March 12, 2017, 01:11:05 pm »

It's all based on old libraries and needs stuff like windows explorer
That is the windows file explorer. Did MS really replace that in win10, or is this just old games not liking strange new OSes?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14182 on: March 12, 2017, 01:21:26 pm »

That is the windows file explorer. Did MS really replace that in win10, or is this just old games not liking strange new OSes?

Sorry, I meant internet explorer. Edited for clarity. Basically though, it just doesn't like win10 and requires a lot of extra libraries and stuff. Not a big problem, just thought people should know.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14183 on: March 12, 2017, 10:32:54 pm »

Sorry, I meant internet explorer. Edited for clarity. Basically though, it just doesn't like win10 and requires a lot of extra libraries and stuff. Not a big problem, just thought people should know.
....The libraries in question should have been packaged with the game, no?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14184 on: March 13, 2017, 05:09:18 am »

....The libraries in question should have been packaged with the game, no?

Should have been, but don't seem to be.

The issue seems to be that the in game movies require windows media player to work, which isn't installed on windows 10. You also need to download one of the DX9 and .Net libraries which aren't bundled with the game for some reason (although many games will have installed that for you). After that, it's just a bit hit or miss, some people are saying it works then others not.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14185 on: March 13, 2017, 08:53:49 am »

Uh, WMP came in my Win10 install.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14186 on: March 13, 2017, 08:55:17 am »

Uh, WMP came in my Win10 install.
WMP definetly comes in Win10 by default. I just imaged a new machine with it

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14187 on: March 13, 2017, 09:54:02 am »

WMP is on my (win10 pro) computer too, and I've never used it.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14188 on: March 13, 2017, 10:03:43 am »

Hmm, it might be IE that was the problem, but a lot of people seem to be quoting not having WMP as an issue. I guess it might have been codecs/something that came only with WMC that was removed with win10.

For me, I had to reinstall WMP (which I must have removed if it comes on a blank setup), reinstalled IE (which is needed and doesn't come as standard), DX9 and a .NET framework, then messed around with a config file and it worked, but it didn't before I did all that. From Reddit/forums it seems that even those steps haven't worked for a number of people on Win10 and they've had to use old machines etc.

As I said, not a huge deal and something that many people can deal with. However in the age of steam auto installing it can be off putting to those not very technically able and so I wanted to point it out in advance. I also made the point because it kinda sucks that developers that are still peddling their games at usually high prices aren't bothering to update to the newest OS.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14189 on: March 13, 2017, 10:07:24 am »

I wasn't trying to argue or anything, just sharing my own experience. My computer came with WMP and IE installed when I installed windows 10. Maybe it's a case of newer Win10 images including them or them being pushed out as 'updates' because they are dependencies to many programs. Who knows.
Pages: 1 ... 944 945 [946] 947 948 ... 1134