Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 925 926 [927] 928 929 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454174 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #13890 on: November 28, 2016, 07:49:00 pm »

So among the many other things on sale on steam at the moment, XCOM 2 is 50% off. Meaning it's $30 now. If anyone's considering buying it, I really recommend it.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13891 on: November 28, 2016, 09:45:42 pm »

So among the many other things on sale on steam at the moment, XCOM 2 is 50% off. Meaning it's $30 now. If anyone's considering buying it, I really recommend it.

How does it compare to the first one, and also the original, if you played it?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13892 on: November 28, 2016, 09:58:22 pm »

Not CW obviously, but I played both nuCOMs and the original.

nuCOM2 is, by and large, nuCOM except more and better. It's still not a substitute for X-Com, but it's pretty good on its own and has a lot of really nice features, especially the ability to mod it to your own preference. I typically excise the DOOM timer and other artificial pressures while upping the Battlescape difficulty, because what I want from X-Com of any stripe is to be able to run tactical missions without paying too much attention to the meta campaign.

Basically more and more dangerous aliens, a much less linear build path, more mission types, more ways to develop your soldiers, greater potential for modding. If you liked nuCOM, you'll like nuCOM 2. If you only played X-Com you'll probably like it, as long as you aren't expecting a carbon copy. It's a damn solid game.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13893 on: November 28, 2016, 10:11:00 pm »

It doesn't have MEC suits and badass super punches though, so for that reason I cannot recommend it to anyone.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13894 on: November 28, 2016, 10:24:11 pm »

Incrementally better, I suppose? Pretty much everything's been streamlined or updated or tweaked, usually to be better but not always. For instance, Armor (flat DR) is an official, visible stat now, with a handful of things that can break off points. Which is nothing crazy compared to the first one, but adds a nice bit of strategy and variety.

Most common complaints I've seen are time limits being overused and bullshit, and aliens getting a doubleturn on being found because they get a free movement action to run to cover, followed by their full turn when yours ends, frequently resulting in free flanking. Oh, and that the stealth mechanic is criminally underused: it's awesome, but disabled forever on first entering combat, so you only get creep around setting up these amazing sneaky ambush plays once per mission.

Compared to OldCOM, it's a lot less fiddly and more animated. Your soldiers are a squad of action heroes with various dashing grenade launcher abilities and skills, rather than a platoon of shuffling mooks with 83.4 inventory slots to hold 3.8 grenades with. Your losses also tend to come more from bullshit miniboss aliens and less from swarms of mooks that sometimes get lucky, though the latter is most definitely still an occurrence. Oh, and bullshit pod placement, since if you trigger a new group of aliens while fighting the first group it doesn't go very well, and unlike in OldCOM the spaces are small and movement speeds large enough for this to happen kind of a lot.

There's a doomsday counter that pushes you to do stuff before time runs out, which makes playing the slow overland game harder (but I don't think impossible, since you can stall and even nudge it back, I believe). Manufacturing is limited to building the occasional new toy, rather than the full equipment production line/capitalism simulator from OldCOM.

All that said, you're still trying to direct a group of jackasses to victory over mostly mookish but occasionally reaper-of-skulls-tier aliens, so the very, very underlying vibe is still there, I thought.

It doesn't have MEC suits and badass super punches though, so for that reason I cannot recommend it to anyone.
Shit, that's still not in? This is what happens when you're not allowed to take live specimens to dissect. And don't have a future serpent queen scientist to guide your glorious ascension.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13895 on: November 29, 2016, 12:40:58 am »

TBH I want a game with nuCOM style Battlescape and oldCom style Geoscape. The relatively unlimited freedom of X-Com on the macro was great, but the fluid and action-flick nature of nuCOM's tactical game is a load of fun, even if I'll always have nostalgia for shit like breaching with stun prod + pistol rookies and lighting up night maps by spraying AC-I everywhere.

3. Run Resize Enable

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13896 on: November 29, 2016, 12:43:26 am »

It technically has Punching Action Robots, but these are not MECs.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13897 on: November 29, 2016, 12:56:54 am »

Yeah. XCOM 2 is pretty much NuCom1 but better.

MEC Suits are essentially covered by the DLC Shen's Last Gift. Which adds a fairly awesome + hard mission as well as a unit type that feels mostly like a "spiritual successor" to MECs with a bit of SHIVs thrown in for good measure.

There's also Alien Hunters, which I'm not the biggest fan of personally. It adds extremely powerful individual enemies (4 total, I think) that randomly appear in some missions. You get some cool equipment at the start to make up for this - including a pistol that lets you stay in concealment if some conditions are meant - as well as powerful rewards for beating the individual Alien Ruler, but it's still stupidly hard in my opinion. If you like this kind of difficulty and reward, I'd say it's still a good DLC.

Also yeah, modding. XCOM2 has some pretty great modding support and numerous well-made mods for it on the workshop.

I'd recommend both XCOM1 and XCOM2 to pretty much anyone. But if you're an absolute die-hard change-nothing-at-all UFO Defense purist, I'd recommend Xenonauts instead. Or both. I possess a ludicrous amount of XCom-alikes in my steam library.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #13898 on: November 29, 2016, 06:45:55 am »

You know, I've heard people complaining about the Alien Rulers, but I've kinda not had a problem with them in the one playthrough I've done. They all died without fail the second time they showed up, often to overwatch fire due to having been so damaged the first time they showed up. They also didn't manage to kill anyone at all - the Berserker Queen actually didn't manage to even hurt anyone.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13899 on: November 29, 2016, 11:29:55 am »

If you're going for the the optimal kill ( , they're kind of obnoxious. Had the Muton Queen show up in a bad mission full of Mutons and she glommed on to a pack of Berzerkers. Made for a touchy fight, and I had to use the RNG to "reroll" the positioning several times.

The Archon was also kind of annoying but no where near as dangerous IMO as the Queen. Viper King was irritating but more or less non-lethally.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #13900 on: November 29, 2016, 01:14:51 pm »

I enjoy XCOM 2 a lot. Especially the modding scene. It is leaps and bounds beyond what the first game had and really lets you customize a lot of aspects.

BTW, there is no timer on starting the Alien Hunter stuff. My latest game I waited until I had mostly high-grade gear and soldiers before starting it. Made it a lot easier.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13901 on: November 29, 2016, 01:59:27 pm »

Just Cause 3 is at -75% currently (both with and without the DLC with actual content), on Steam.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13902 on: November 29, 2016, 03:45:56 pm »

The latest Humble Bundle is pretty good with Deomocracy 3 and Big Pharma avaliable for around $5
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13903 on: November 29, 2016, 05:37:51 pm »

Just Cause 3 is at -75% currently (both with and without the DLC with actual content), on Steam.
Wasn't it really unstable and buggy? That was what kept me playing JC2 even though that's a total pain in the ass to run.

3. Run Resize Enable

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #13904 on: November 29, 2016, 07:46:54 pm »

The latest Humble Bundle is pretty good with Deomocracy 3 and Big Pharma avaliable for around $5

Picked it up mostly for Train Simulator, lol. My son is obsessed with trains so I'm going to let him help me drive them. Turns out it's actually Train Sim 2017 with 3 DLCs (total Steam price of $120). Not bad for $5.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
Pages: 1 ... 925 926 [927] 928 929 ... 1134