Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 923 924 [925] 926 927 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454407 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #13860 on: November 25, 2016, 12:03:21 pm »

Because of course a deal like that happens while I'm asleep.

It's worth noting though that it's still apparently 15% off, on the version that will include future DLC.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13861 on: November 25, 2016, 12:42:57 pm »

So uh...

Either it's a price error or someone has gone mental, but Civ 6 Deluxe Edition has been 80% off on here: https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/5eqmrf/games_republic_civilization_vi_digital_deluxe/

It's being hugged to death but users have confirmed that it works.

I wonder how many keys they sold at that price. With over 1500 Reddit comments last night, I imagine they sold at least 1000 keys (with some folks posting multiple times and many not posting at all). Plus it was reposted all over the internet. The numbers could be way higher. The site was totally hammered, but I don't know how many concurrent users they can support - may have been 10,000+ keys for all I know.

I would imagine the profit margins on Civ VI keys are probably pretty low. I would guess something like 70% of the purchase price would go to Steam on fairly new releases like these. If that's the case, Games Republic would have lost something like $40 per key sold.

Games Republic probably lost tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of dollars on this deal. Considering 11 bit studios a fairly small indie company, this is going to hurt them pretty bad.

A GR rep made a post on that reddit thread saying all sales were to be declared null.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13862 on: November 25, 2016, 12:47:00 pm »

So uh...

Either it's a price error or someone has gone mental, but Civ 6 Deluxe Edition has been 80% off on here: https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/5eqmrf/games_republic_civilization_vi_digital_deluxe/

It's being hugged to death but users have confirmed that it works.

I wonder how many keys they sold at that price. With over 1500 Reddit comments last night, I imagine they sold at least 1000 keys (with some folks posting multiple times and many not posting at all). Plus it was reposted all over the internet. The numbers could be way higher. The site was totally hammered, but I don't know how many concurrent users they can support - may have been 10,000+ keys for all I know.

I would imagine the profit margins on Civ VI keys are probably pretty low. I would guess something like 70% of the purchase price would go to Steam on fairly new releases like these. If that's the case, Games Republic would have lost something like $40 per key sold.

Games Republic probably lost tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of dollars on this deal. Considering 11 bit studios a fairly small indie company, this is going to hurt them pretty bad.

A GR rep made a post on that reddit thread saying all sales were to be declared null.

I am hopeful they fail at that. Clearly someone fucked up, but there must've been opportunity for the fuck to get caught prior to thousands of people spending pennies.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13863 on: November 25, 2016, 01:53:44 pm »

I am hopeful they fail at that. Clearly someone fucked up, but there must've been opportunity for the fuck to get caught prior to thousands of people spending pennies.

It's nice to think of people getting a good deal, but I don't want to see people going bankrupt over a typo.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13864 on: November 25, 2016, 02:30:53 pm »

It's nice to think of people getting a good deal, but I don't want to see people going bankrupt over a typo.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13865 on: November 25, 2016, 03:16:43 pm »

Fairly sure it's a steam error and they will easily afford the cost. Some intern might have a bad day though.

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13866 on: November 25, 2016, 03:57:51 pm »

Fairly sure it's a steam error and they will easily afford the cost. Some intern might have a bad day though.

The error was actually on a small game store (not sure if a cd key game shop or if its an actual legit site), by some indie guys or something. Not entirely sure. In any case, the site wasn't really widely known or barely known at all until now. A major f* up like that can do a lot of damage to a small store/site. Or guess it might help get them more known, since I never heard of them before and now I do. In any case, don't see it being a good mess up for a small site like they have.

Also, I agree with them doing refunds. That is a LOT of money lost, and they probably legally have to anyway. There is probably something in the TOS they do with the game developers/publishers where they can't sell beneath a certain price. Its nice to get a cheap game when its usually 60 dollars, but it isn't good for the store selling it, unless they want to go out of business or not be trusted by other game companies to sell their product.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13867 on: November 25, 2016, 04:02:08 pm »

Snatched up Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen for $10 $12.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 05:13:02 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13868 on: November 25, 2016, 04:59:30 pm »

Ooh yeah, if anyone doesn't have DD:DA yet now's a good chance to pick it up.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #13869 on: November 25, 2016, 05:40:30 pm »

It's also on next month's Humble Monthly. So you might wanna consider getting that as a bundle with a bunch of extra surprise games.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13870 on: November 25, 2016, 05:54:53 pm »

So far, I've bought Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Planetary Annihilation Titans(upgrade to PA original), and a shitload of old Novalogic games I used to own, including Tachyon: The Fringe, Delta Force, F16: Multirole Fighter. I also learned that Nordic bought out Novalogic a few weeks ago, grabbing all their IP, including Tachyon, so there's hope for a future sequel.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13871 on: November 25, 2016, 05:58:32 pm »

It's also on next month's Humble Monthly. So you might wanna consider getting that as a bundle with a bunch of extra surprise games.

And if you're dumb like me, you can refund it.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13872 on: November 25, 2016, 07:26:37 pm »

Since this thread isn't purely for sales on PC games, throwing one out for the console gamers:

There is currently a couple sales on the Playstation Store, and quite a few of the titles are new-ish ones. Titanfall 2 and Battlefield One come to mind (and there's even a bundle of them). Personally probably going to buy Titanfall 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and maybe the DLC for the Witcher 3.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13873 on: November 25, 2016, 09:22:30 pm »

I never played Titanfall, but if you liked the Tomb Raider reboot I would recommend ROtTR, and the Witcher 3 DLC is definitely worth it.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13874 on: November 25, 2016, 09:24:13 pm »

The (probable) main reason I haven't already beaten the Witcher 3 was because I upgraded my PS4's hard drive and the data got lost in the transfer
I was already into the Skellige Isles
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 923 924 [925] 926 927 ... 1134