Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 919 920 [921] 922 923 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454406 times)

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #13800 on: November 23, 2016, 02:11:09 pm »

Steam is having its autumn sale.

And the division (that ubisoft mmo-lite third person shooter game) is 50% off. Division launched with poor reviews, but it looks like the reviews are mostly positive now since the last patch.

Is division worth getting at all? I've seen some videos and it looks like a lot of fun, my type of game really. The graphics look really pretty and game looks immersive, and does look fun. But I dunno really that much about it.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13801 on: November 23, 2016, 02:20:18 pm »

Is division worth getting at all? I've seen some videos and it looks like a lot of fun, my type of game really. The graphics look really pretty and game looks immersive, and does look fun. But I dunno really that much about it.

From what I watched over my roommates shoulder, I don't think its worth it.  Lots of bad guys with 50 billion health to slog through and I remember it had a huge cheating problem, which would kind of suck in a MMO-like game.  Maybe they eventually fixed that though.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13802 on: November 23, 2016, 02:21:17 pm »

Really good price on Dominions 4 at Steam now.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13803 on: November 23, 2016, 03:02:12 pm »

From what I watched over my roommates shoulder, I don't think its worth it.  Lots of bad guys with 50 billion health to slog through and I remember it had a huge cheating problem, which would kind of suck in a MMO-like game.  Maybe they eventually fixed that though.

Ewww bullet sponges. Skyrim had that, and it was equally annoying there too. At least skyrim had mods to get rid of that junk.

But I looked at a post on steam forum, and someone complained of hackers. Then he got banned for reporting them, and had terrible customer support experience after. That isn't too reassurring.

What about Grand Theft Auto V? That is on sale as well. Its a bit more than Division is though. I really want a game that plays out in a big open city. At least with GTA 5, its highly moddable, which is a huge bonus. Skyrim I played over 1500 hours because of mods. I never actually played a GTA game on PC, except once. But not for long. I tried GTA 3 and the movement system with keyboard+mouse was really really awkward lol. It was still a lot of fun though despite that. But I lost my game disk for that when moving and never bought it again due to money at time, so I didn't get much play time out of it.

GTA 5 looks like it has a cool, open city map though. That was mostly why I was sorta interested in Division.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13804 on: November 23, 2016, 04:18:02 pm »

I haven't played GTA5, but I don't think I've heard anything bad about it.  If you wanted something cheaper and more ridiculous you could also go for one of the Saint Rows games.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13805 on: November 23, 2016, 04:42:04 pm »

If you go Saint's Row I would recommend 2 (if you like plot) or 4 (if you just want to destroy stuff). Three is... it's kinda between those, and not really good at either in my opinion. Sort of like how Oblivion was the transition from the crunchy fun of Morrowind to the casual fun of Skyrim, if that makes any sense. A warning though, I've heard some people have problems running SR2. I haven't had any myself in the little bit I've played here and there (mostly played it on console back in the day and bought it again to support the devs/play again if I get the itch) but that's still probably a thing.

As for GTA 5, I played it when it came out on the PS3 and I thought it was pretty damn good, but I haven't tried the PC version yet because I'm still waiting for it to go down to like $20 or so.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13806 on: November 23, 2016, 04:54:17 pm »

If you go Saint's Row I would recommend 2 (if you like plot) or 4 (if you just want to destroy stuff). Three is... it's kinda between those, and not really good at either in my opinion.
Respectfully disagree - I think that SR3 managed to thread the perfect line between "going too far" and "random insanity." If you want GTA that doesn't take itself too seriously - but still makes you feel like a total badass - I would totally go for SR3.

Don't get me wrong, SR4 is the perfect superhero simulator - better than even City of Heroes, imo - I saw someone describe your character as being a "Mafia Goku," which I think fits pretty damn well. However, in becoming a superhero simulator, you really lose most of the GTA-like parts of the game - why drive when you have superspeed and can run up walls?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 04:55:54 pm by AlStar »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13807 on: November 23, 2016, 04:55:45 pm »

If you go Saint's Row I would recommend 2 (if you like plot) or 4 (if you just want to destroy stuff). Three is... it's kinda between those, and not really good at either in my opinion. Sort of like how Oblivion was the transition from the crunchy fun of Morrowind to the casual fun of Skyrim, if that makes any sense. A warning though, I've heard some people have problems running SR2. I haven't had any myself in the little bit I've played here and there (mostly played it on console back in the day and bought it again to support the devs/play again if I get the itch) but that's still probably a thing.
Respectfully disagree - I think that SR3 managed to thread the perfect line between "going too far" and "random insanity." If you want GTA that doesn't take itself too seriously - but still makes you feel like a total badass - I would totally go for SR3.

Don't get me wrong, SR4 is the perfect superhero simulator - better than even City of Heroes, imo - I saw someone describe your character as being a "Mafia Goku," which I think fits pretty damn well. However, in becoming a superhero simulator, you really lose most of the GTA-like parts of the game - why drive when you have superspeed and can run up walls?
Agreed with this. Except for the small dig at City of Heroes - how dare you, good sir? :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13808 on: November 23, 2016, 04:59:52 pm »

I vote against Saint's Row Three as it had a rather long and disgusting segment in which you are forced to treat prostitutes as cattle.

I'm not usually willing to engage into white-knight fights about supposed game issues, mostly because all too often the supposed grievances are quasi-imaginary, but in this case it was so blatant and disgusting that I installed the damn game.

In all honesty, for the life of me I can't figure how this didn't make the rounds.  People have gotten outraged about much lesser offenders in this regard.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13809 on: November 23, 2016, 05:30:15 pm »

To be honest, I didn't really like three OR four. At least 80% of the 'story missions' were just 'go play the minigames instead of actually do anything interesting', but I liked four slightly better simply because it didn't act like it was anything other than an environment for using ridiculous powers and guns. Three tried to be two, 'but funny', which was a failure because two already had its funny moments to balance the serious moments and three did nothing to balance itself. Also SR2 didn't kill off Gat offscreen for no damn reason two seconds into the game and Shaundi was actually likeable, even if she was a somewhat generic stoner. Better that than the intolerable, useless bitch - which I don't say lightly, but she really is a whiny bitch - in three. Don't get me wrong, it's not 'they did that to Shaundi, uninstall' (which I'll admit does leave a bad taste in my mouth) but 'oh my god just shut up, when can I shoot this woman or get her off the team'.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13810 on: November 23, 2016, 05:36:10 pm »

At least 80% of the 'story missions' were just 'go play the minigames instead of actually do anything interesting'
That's the exact reason I didn't really enjoy 2. You're forced to play some number of minigames to proceed to the next story mission.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13811 on: November 23, 2016, 05:38:31 pm »

To grind Respect, sure, but you want to do those before doing ANY missions because 1. they give you a lot of good bonuses like infinite sprint or no fall damage and 2. if you grind over 100 levels of Respect (which I think you only need... 56 total?) you get infinite respect and never have to do it again. Besides, you can easily get Respect simply by doing things like driving on the wrong side of the road and dodging incoming traffic by a hair. I never had a problem needing more respect to do the storyline. :P

Just do it once, make a save, and then whenever you want to start a new game just load that save and make your Boss look different. Easy peasy.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13812 on: November 23, 2016, 05:48:30 pm »

The main problem with SR2 though is the port. Holy shit that port. When you need a mod to even play a game, you know it was a massive fuck up. Which is a shame, since the game is great. Unfortunately, the mod can't fix the shitty audio.

As for the games themselves, I like all three about equally. Gat Out of Hell wasn't mentioned, but it's basically just the best activities of the whole series bundled up with improved superpowers (like actual flight instead of gliding) and with demons rather than aliens. For the price it's currently going for, I'd say it is worth it if you liked 4.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13813 on: November 23, 2016, 05:48:53 pm »

Nice discussion about Saint's Row :) Thanks for the feedback everyone. Personally, I kinda like the more serious aspect of GTA V and I like the modding scene there better. I watched a Let's Play some time back on Saint's Row 3, and half of a series on 4 and it isn't really my thing. Though I DID like how Saint's Row 4 played more than 3 (judging by the let's plays I watched), since it just gave up on the serious aspect and went all in. It is a lot cheaper though, so maybe I'll pick it up just to play for fun in the future. Its not that much for the game+DLCs. It looks like a nice casual game to just mess around in and turn off the brain. It probably go on sale again for Christmas sales anyway.

I however ended up picking up GTA V. It installed, but won't be able to play till later. I forgot till a bit ago, but I actually had a GTA game installed on my phone, and it was a ton of fun. Even though it was a just a mobile version. But I think I'll get more out of my money for GTA (even though its more than SR) than I would with SR. Especially just given the fact I can get pretty awesome mods for it.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13814 on: November 23, 2016, 05:55:06 pm »

I think you made the right choice, for what it's worth coming from someone who played all four SR games (even the ultra-shitty first one, which I'm not ashamed to admit I gave up on halfway through because it was so bad) and all 5 GTA games (counting all 5 as 3/VC/SA/4/5 and not the two 2D ones or the two portable ones, although of those I did play Liberty City Stories when it got ported). GTAV has hours of content, some likeable characters even when they're doing very bad things, and it does have an online mode you can fart around in. Mods seem like a nice addition, and from what I remember the PC version of GTAV also has a first-person mode and the ability to get high on things and run around as various random animals just for kicks. Again, haven't played PC version, just something I remember hearing.

In any case, have fun dude. ^^^
Pages: 1 ... 919 920 [921] 922 923 ... 1134