Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 904 905 [906] 907 908 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1453932 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #13575 on: September 15, 2016, 11:00:03 am »

It's pretty explicit. You can review, you're just not included in the meta analysis of what all steam users think.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 01:30:29 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13576 on: September 15, 2016, 11:04:25 am »

However, not being able to review it if you didn't get your Steam key through the Steam store does seem really dumb.
It does, which is why that's not the case.
So Shadowlord is wrong about not being able to review Steam games if you got your Steam key through Humble Bundle?
It was Teneb who said that, shadowlord was merely asking if that was the case. But yes, that's wrong.

Yeah, this new policy isn't the problem in this case. (In fact a few minutes ago I wrote a review of From the Depths to test Teneb's claim, and had no trouble posting it.
http://store.steampowered.com/news/24155/
Customers that received the game from a source outside of Steam (e.g. via a giveaway site, purchased from another digital or retail store, or received for testing purposes from the developer) will still be able to write a review of the game on Steam to share their experience. These reviews will still be visible on the store page, but they will no longer contribute to the score.

Edit: Ninja'd
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13577 on: September 15, 2016, 11:32:20 am »

http://store.steampowered.com/news/24155/

The way I read the news, was that you could post a REVIEW but not a RATING. 

I think a Rating is the thumbs-up or -down part, but I just looked at one of my old reviews of a game I got a free key for, and it still has the thumb attached.  Just tried to write a fresh review for a different game that I bought on Steam, and it still had the voluntary check-box for if I received the game for free.

Tried another that I had on a Bundle, and it still gives the option to select a Thumb.

So, not sure.  Have not actually tried submitting either of those reviews, so don't know what would happen there.  Maybe my steam client needs to update?  Or maybe it is transparent to the user, but as Nenjin says, they just are not counting it on the back end?

Certainly the steamspy data as well as the data published by steam directly and information from individual developers backs up the fact that these reviews are no longer being "counted".

But it seems like old reviews are not vanishing, can still be read, and new reviews with Thumb "ratings" can still be posted.  So, anyone who cares enough to read reviews can still see it, and anyone just looking at the initial rating before reading more about the game will get the filtered data.

Seems totally reasonable to me.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13578 on: September 15, 2016, 11:33:45 am »

You can even rate your own review (saying if it was a thumbs up or thumbs down.) Your thumb is just not included in the aggregate on the store page. (I.e 68% of Steam users gave this game a positive score.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13579 on: September 15, 2016, 12:17:31 pm »

The way I read the news, was that you could post a REVIEW but not a RATING. 
More accurately, you can post a rating but it is not counted towards the game's overall score.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13580 on: September 15, 2016, 12:20:04 pm »

yep.  evidence points to this.

So, anyone played Red Solstice? 

Thinking of getting it on the Sale.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #13581 on: September 15, 2016, 01:41:13 pm »

I got a while back but it doesn't seem to be super populated - it can take a really long time to find a game. It was fun'ish, but somehow I was expecting more of it. Ended up playing 3h, according to Steam. Would probably have played more if I had a group of friends and voicecomms to figure it all out together.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13582 on: September 15, 2016, 02:27:58 pm »

Sol Trader, 33% off.  First big sale since release:  http://store.steampowered.com/app/396680

It has gotten some huge patches and changes since it came out, and is continuing to be updated.  Worth checking out. 

Bay12 thread here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=147601.0

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13583 on: September 15, 2016, 07:34:03 pm »

Another decent one on Bundlestars for the next 5 days is the Kalypso bundle. Pick 3, 5 or 10 games out of 29 Kalypso titles available. A fair number of good games in the mix.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13584 on: September 15, 2016, 07:35:26 pm »

Tropico, Port Royale and Patrician.

I do believe they had something to do with the later Guild games too...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13585 on: September 15, 2016, 09:30:44 pm »

So, anyone played Red Solstice? 

Thinking of getting it on the Sale.
Apparently it's on my Wishlist, I got an email telling me about the sale.
Tempted to pick it up, but I don't know how well it would run on my computer. I usually have pretty good results running games with similar graphics, so I think it would work okay, but who knows. Looks like a pretty fun game.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13586 on: September 15, 2016, 09:35:25 pm »

If you've ever played Night of the Living Dead for Warcraft 3 then Red Solstice it's basically that in standalone game form. It's pretty good, but not especially popular or polished. It's a shame because that kind of game seems like something that could become really popular with enough exposure.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13587 on: September 15, 2016, 11:35:27 pm »

So some time ago I got Civ V (and didn't play it much) but none of the DLC's, and ever since, I never bought said DLC's because I was annoyed at the idea of paying as much for the Complete Edition (or whatever) as I would if I'd never bought the base game. Now that steam bundles discount for items you already own, I'm considering grabbing the DLC for $10. Is it well worth it in singleplayer/do many people still play multiplayer?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13588 on: September 16, 2016, 08:20:34 am »

Is it well worth it in singleplayer/do many people still play multiplayer?

I only ever played singleplayer or local hotseat with my wife. I'd definitely say they are worth it. I enjoy the new features and modifications to old features that they provide, though I know there's some disagreement on some of those points.

It's kind of expected at this point that Firaxis games aren't complete on launch. The advice I usually hear is to avoid purchasing until the first DLC or two comes out.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13589 on: September 16, 2016, 08:23:26 am »

It does seem a little strange that consumers are growing to accept that an incomplete game on release is an acceptable state of affairs.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 904 905 [906] 907 908 ... 1134