Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 903 904 [905] 906 907 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1453911 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #13560 on: September 14, 2016, 03:56:16 pm »

We'd successfully moved on. Why bring it back up?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13561 on: September 14, 2016, 03:59:18 pm »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13562 on: September 14, 2016, 04:08:09 pm »

All of Battlefield 4's DLC are free on Origin right now: https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/52rcl3/origin_battlefield_4_dlcs_final_stand_dragons/

Also there's a 7 day free trial of Battlefield 4 itself, which works with all the above DLC.

AND

There's a 50% voucher on Origin itself that you can use with almost anything in the store.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13563 on: September 14, 2016, 04:08:54 pm »

I tried Toxikk. Steam won't let me post a review, but it went like this:
Connection Lost
Connection Lost: Server is already full
Connection Lost: Server is already full
Oh hey it actually connected and I got to play for 2 minutes until we won the match
Connection Lost
Max Amount of Free Players Reached

That 2 minutes was sort of fun-ish, I guess, but not enough to play again, much less pay money for.

Oh, and the reason it gave for not letting me post a review: "You have used this product through Steam Family Sharing, but you must own it in order to post a review."
WTF???
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 04:10:45 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13564 on: September 14, 2016, 04:26:20 pm »

Oh, and the reason it gave for not letting me post a review: "You have used this product through Steam Family Sharing, but you must own it in order to post a review."
WTF???
There are new rules for reviews because some devs have been abusing the system with dummy accounts to increase the ratings. Now, only users who bought the game on steam itself can leave a review.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13565 on: September 14, 2016, 04:37:36 pm »

So you're saying "if you bought a game in a bundle, or from humble store, or the like, you can't review it?"

That's outrageous, but this game isn't even that - It shows up as a free to play game on Steam, which I installed through Steam, yet Steam goes NOPE. So did Valve also ban reviewing f2p games?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13566 on: September 14, 2016, 04:38:53 pm »

So you're saying "if you bought a game in a bundle, or from humble store, or the like, you can't review it?"

That's outrageous, but this game isn't even that - It shows up as a free to play game on Steam, which I installed through Steam, yet Steam goes NOPE. So did Valve also ban reviewing f2p games?
http://store.steampowered.com/news/24155/

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13567 on: September 14, 2016, 04:46:38 pm »

So you can review games you got as a key, it just won't influence the "Very Positive" thing at the top of the game's store page.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13568 on: September 14, 2016, 04:56:05 pm »

Yeah, this new policy isn't the problem in this case. (In fact a few minutes ago I wrote a review of From the Depths to test Teneb's claim, and had no trouble posting it)

That said, I'm a little annoyed that the opinions of anyone who got a game from somewhere other than Steam no longer count as far as the review score goes. For example, I paid the developer of Starmade for the game via their website, but if I were to write a review on Steam, my opinion wouldn't count (unless it was upvoted by folks looking at recent reviews) because Steam didn't get their cut of the money. It wasn't even on Steam at the time, but I'm also annoyed that they're doing this to anyone who gets things through the humble store or bundles or the like.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13569 on: September 14, 2016, 09:30:09 pm »

Yeah, that seems like an oddly brute-force solution to the problem.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #13570 on: September 15, 2016, 02:00:37 am »

I don't have any problem with Steam only letting people who can be verified to own the game being able to contribute to the review scores on their website. However, not being able to review it if you didn't get your Steam key through the Steam store does seem really dumb.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13571 on: September 15, 2016, 06:35:41 am »

What would you, as Valve, do in this case? They cannot not to do it, the system is too easy to game otherwise - as a dev, you can *totally sell* a thousand copies to the local homeless and students and pay them a couple of bucks to leave rave reviews of your game, or even just do a promo giveaway, people are more inclined to like the game if they got it free - and Valve cannot afford the aggregate review system being seen as untrustworthy as a whole.

Those people would totally own the game, completely and wholly legally, and be humans, not bots.

Assuming that they can even track the origin of keys, verifying secondary-source keys would require setting up some kind of trusted retailer system, which probably isn't just plain cost-effective for a matter only few people care much about, an if someone went through the trouble of buying a jillion Steam copies to cheese reviews... well, mission-fucking-accomplished as far as Valve cares.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13572 on: September 15, 2016, 08:38:33 am »

However, not being able to review it if you didn't get your Steam key through the Steam store does seem really dumb.
It does, which is why that's not the case.

What would you, as Valve, do in this case? They cannot not to do it, the system is too easy to game otherwise - as a dev, you can *totally sell* a thousand copies to the local homeless and students and pay them a couple of bucks to leave rave reviews of your game, or even just do a promo giveaway, people are more inclined to like the game if they got it free - and Valve cannot afford the aggregate review system being seen as untrustworthy as a whole.

Those people would totally own the game, completely and wholly legally, and be humans, not bots.

Assuming that they can even track the origin of keys, verifying secondary-source keys would require setting up some kind of trusted retailer system, which probably isn't just plain cost-effective for a matter only few people care much about, an if someone went through the trouble of buying a jillion Steam copies to cheese reviews... well, mission-fucking-accomplished as far as Valve cares.
This.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13573 on: September 15, 2016, 08:57:03 am »

Soooo...

Red Solstice on sale, under $7:  http://store.steampowered.com/app/265590/  I guess it is a WC3 mod?

Space Game Junkie sucks at it here, but he meets some veterans who explain how to play:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZgS2Fpl8Vw

Looks like fun, anybody playing it?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #13574 on: September 15, 2016, 10:40:24 am »

However, not being able to review it if you didn't get your Steam key through the Steam store does seem really dumb.
It does, which is why that's not the case.
So Shadowlord is wrong about not being able to review Steam games if you got your Steam key through Humble Bundle?
Pages: 1 ... 903 904 [905] 906 907 ... 1134